SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#406259 - 08/03/15 04:14 PM Protest songs....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'm not talking about straight folk, but songs like Les McCann' "Compared to What", Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On", Stevie's "Living for the City" and others.

Do you play these or similar songs? Are they appropriate on a general entertainment gig?

I play them, enjoy them and support the messages presented.

What about you?

Russ

#406264 - 08/03/15 04:58 PM Re: Protest songs.... [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
No. And, for several reasons, the most important being that neither are good dance tunes. No one is going to hear those songs and immediately jump up on the dance floor. Even if you are performing in a restaurant, the same rules apply. Many years ago Donny Pesce said to me "If you can't dance to it, don't play it." He was right on the money. I put them in the same category as a lot of old Peter, Paul and Mary protest songs, many of which were imported from the US Civil War era, but most folks don't know that. That said, I have played songs that would have been good dancing tunes, and no one moved out of their seats. It was if I wasn't playing or singing. Don Mason explained it best. "They probably didn't recognize the song." He was right - no one had heard of the song, they didn't recognize any part of it, so it did nothing for them.

I did a private party last month and someone requested My Heart Will Go On. I know the song, had a good style picked out for it, fired up and as soon as I hit the intro using a flute for the right hand voice, BOOM! They were on the dance floor with the ladies - it was as if someone threw a switch. Everyone recognized that song as soon as I played the intro. Same holds true for Old Time Rock & Roll - everyone knows that piano intro and even if they don't get up and dance, they'll be there singing the song at their tables.

Works for me,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#406267 - 08/03/15 05:22 PM Re: Protest songs.... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

That said, I have played songs that would have been good dancing tunes, and no one moved out of their seats. It was if I wasn't playing or singing. Don Mason explained it best. "They probably didn't recognize the song." He was right - no one had heard of the song, they didn't recognize any part of it, so it did nothing for them.

Listeners may not know what they like, but, they like what they know.

Ian

#406268 - 08/03/15 06:31 PM Re: Protest songs.... [Re: ianmcnll]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
I love protest songs. And I do play it sometimes, not so much for the audience but mostly for my own satisfaction.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#406281 - 08/04/15 05:41 AM Re: Protest songs.... [Re: captain Russ]
124 Offline

Great tunes, all. But of the three songs Russ listed, there's only Marvin Gaye's that's readily playable on an arranger. Stevie Wonder's and Les McCann's have those time signature changes that, without a bunch of editing, would be impossible - especially that 'interlude' in Living For the City.

Thanks for the reminder of the McCann tune, Russ. I haven't given that a listen for many years.

#406282 - 08/04/15 06:27 AM Re: Protest songs.... [Re: 124]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: 124

Thanks for the reminder of the McCann tune, Russ. I haven't given that a listen for many years.

Same here. For those who may not be familiar with Les, check out THIS version of 'Compared to What' (especially the LYRICS) and notice how relevant they are today - 45 years later. Listen to this version (recorded live) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qNJfVXxrQU

For another of Les McCann's classics that probably COULD be played on an arranger and might go over well even with a non-jazz crowd, try 'With these hands' - this version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hNSSb6OdYg

chas

#406287 - 08/04/15 06:56 AM Re: Protest songs.... [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

One of my favorites...

Is it a patriotic song? Is it a protest song? Is it both? confused1

#406292 - 08/04/15 07:22 AM Re: Protest songs.... [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I do Okie from Muskogee. Does that count?
And I DID protest when my first ex-wife wanted to come back.

#406293 - 08/04/15 07:25 AM Re: Protest songs.... [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#406294 - 08/04/15 07:26 AM Re: Protest songs.... [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

These were some more of my favorites growing up..I cant say I would play them on stage but they definitely have big meaning in my book.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online