SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#406075 - 08/01/15 04:43 AM Tyros 5 , S it worth the price
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
There is no doubt, the T5 is an incredible instrument.

With all those great high quality sampled sounds it could be used

as a sound source for film sound tracks etc, the arranger

section is excellent as well.

I have never played one except for looking and listening to go

demos on Youtube ( Mr Baartsman etc).

I was, to say the least, a little shocked when I saw one on

display in a local music shop.

The casing with it's very cheap and flimsy finish looked like a

latter day Bontempi.

I would consider buying one if it had the case,say, of a

Clavinola or the heavy but robust G70.

To be quite honest I dont think it's worth the very big price

tag. I do hope Yamaha will improve on the build (casing) on the

Tyros 6.

Just my opinion, thats all. smoke

Frank

Edited by Mockie (08/01/15 04:46 AM)

#406077 - 08/01/15 06:02 AM Re: Tyros 5 , S it worth the price [Re: Mockie]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

If you read Synthzone you will note that the biggest complaint
about keyboards is the weight. Yamaha has listened to these
complaints and made a case that is light.
I own a Tyros 5-76, it's still quite heavy for those who are not built to lift heavy loads. I am a senior citizen and lifting is
not easy for me.
I have not heard any complaints by Tyros owners about the flimsy case that you talk of. The inwards of the Tyros 5 contain
great sounds and styles. I am simply stating facts. Lloyd

#406082 - 08/01/15 07:04 AM Re: Tyros 5 , S it worth the price [Re: ]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
I have played and traveled with the Yamaha Tyros series for years, with no failures or issues. Yamaha quality and support is one of the top in the industry. I agree that the case design has more to do with engineering and weight. I like the squared- off look of the Tyros 5 over the Tyros 4.

The Roland G80 is almost 5 KGs over the Tyros 5-76. When you transport, obviously you would need a nice soft case or custom hard case.

I hope most Tyros buyers are not paying near the MSRP. My first Tyros 5-61 I got $1,800 USD below MSRP and my second one was a demo model ( full warrantee ) $2,000 below MSRP even after the Canadian dollar loosing value over the USD the following year. Still both cheaper than a new Tyros 4 left in stock at a local Long and McQuade music store here in Canada. Certain Music Store chains have prices locked in, but some of the independent owners or through relationships you make over the years with a dealer can help you get a good price.

I always say, you get what you pay for, but it is always better to be as knowledgeable and prudent with prices as possible and live within your means.

Marcus

#406084 - 08/01/15 07:30 AM Re: Tyros 5 , S it worth the price [Re: Marcus]
KORG80 Offline

Marcus. I'm in Brampton, Ontario. Where are you? Have you ever seen a Tyros in a Long&McQuade store. I have a longstanding relationship with that organization that started with the purchase of a Rickenbacker guitar when I was an 18 year old John Lennon wannabe. I would love to have a Tyros but my wife would freak if I spent so much on a keyboard,

God Bless,
Don

#406092 - 08/01/15 08:45 AM Re: Tyros 5 , S it worth the price [Re: KORG80]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Yes, the Long and McQuade in Burlington usually has some TOTL arrangers on display, plus the Tyros from time to time. The larger the city, the better selection. Elite Music in Toronto can get demo Tyros 5s at a good price and full 2 year warrantee. Great prices over a year ago, but the Canadian dollar is slowly loosing ground to the USD.

I am in The Niagara region. Actually walked around Niagara Falls last night and watched the fireworks over the falls. Lots of solo musicians in the Falls for the tourists.

Regards, Marcus

Edited by Marcus (08/01/15 08:45 AM)

#406096 - 08/01/15 09:17 AM Re: Tyros 5 , S it worth the price [Re: Mockie]
124 Offline

The T5 on display at L&M here in Edmonton is $5999. It's been there a while.

As an aside, I asked about a Korg Pa3X and was told they still have their 30-day no quibble return policy, but there's now a non-refundable $400 deposit involved. I can see why they do that, but it's a deterrent. I don't want to lose $400 just because something doesn't work out for me.

#406121 - 08/01/15 11:37 AM Re: Tyros 5 , S it worth the price [Re: 124]
KORG80 Offline

Originally Posted By: 124
The T5 on display at L&M here in Edmonton is $5999. It's been there a while.

That is why most stores are reluctant to bring them in. Marcus was talking about demos. So eventually that $6000 Tyros 5 will be a demo but will still probably sell for $5000. My wife would cringe a great deal more than me at that kind of investment in what she considers a trivial hobby related toy. Maybe I should start gigging again and make some money from my hobby but then my PSR S 750 would be much more portable and still sounds pretty decent.

God Bless,
Don

#406122 - 08/01/15 11:47 AM Re: Tyros 5 , S it worth the price [Re: KORG80]
KORG80 Offline

Marcus, I almost drove to Burlington to check out the S 950 a couple of years ago. But the manager here in Brampton agreed to bring one in for me to check out. In an interesting twist of fate they were sent an S750 by mistake so when I checked both boards out, I ended up with the 750 because I couldn't get any kind of reasonable harmony from the 950. Luckily, someone came in and bought the 950 so it wasn't there when I went back to give it one last try. That worked out well because I know they were hoping to sell me the 950.

God Bless,
Don

#406123 - 08/01/15 11:53 AM Re: Tyros 5 , S it worth the price [Re: Mockie]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

If you are interested in a Tyros 5 at a really excellent price please call Frank at Audioworks in Milford CT. He is a honest
dealer who sells at great prices and knows you after the sale.
His number is" 203 876-1133 Lloyd

#406124 - 08/01/15 12:02 PM Re: Tyros 5 , S it worth the price [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Tyrosman5
If you are interested in a Tyros 5 at a really excellent price please call Frank at Audioworks in Milford CT. He is a honest
dealer who sells at great prices and knows you after the sale.
His number is" 203 876-1133 Lloyd

DITTO!!!! Frank is the best!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online