SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#405587 - 07/26/15 09:43 AM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
So you like criticism, eh? Okay. Those guitar licks of yours are way to realistic. We know you're doing something sneaky in there.

smile smile

chas

#405593 - 07/26/15 09:59 AM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: cgiles
So you like criticism, eh? Okay. Those guitar licks of yours are way to realistic. We know you're doing something sneaky in there.

smile smile

chas

I am a closet guitarist! smile After a few years playing at guitar, I realized I was never going to be very good, but it was pretty helpful in learning what they can do. It's easier on kb. The newer arrangers do a lot of stuff for you that it make it sound realistic. Sometimes too much. First instrument was trumpet, then bass, then organ, all useful experience. Trumpet was by far my best instrument until basketball removed a few teeth. Started trying to sing when the singer didn't show up one night and I wanted to still get paid.
Best thing about playing a real guitar was that it made it really easy to get girls. There are several really great guitarists around here, than when one walks in I start playing piano stuff and tell them to go get their axe out of the car. Sometimes they do and I get to learn some more of their stuff!

#405597 - 07/26/15 10:04 AM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
A generalized course in the use of an arranger keyboard would likely be the most difficult course I could imagine teaching, and I was an instructor of Cardio-Pulmonary Medicine. Teaching someone how the heart, lungs and circulatory system functions is fairly easy when compared to teaching the ins and outs of an arranger keyboard's operating system and how each and every function works.

Then they must have the ability to play, which is quite subjective in itself. And, if they have mastered the ability to play, lets say a piano, next thing is learning how to emulate all the other instruments with some degree of proficiency. WOW! Now we're into many years of learning, and most folks really don't want to spend that much time learning how to please their spouses, let alone learn to play an arranger keyboard.

Over the years, I've always made it a point to learn as much about my keyboards as humanly possible, at least from a technical standpoint. This has been immensely beneficial during my time as an OMB entertainer, it has provided me with the ability to seamlessly flow from song to song, and not experience all the hiccups others using the same device tend to stumble upon. I have tried to impart that knowledge to them on this and other forums, and to some degree I have been successful.

Good topic, Chas,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#405644 - 07/26/15 11:32 PM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: Henni]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Henni I think you are totally over reacting to Chas's post. I think there is validity in some of his observations. Not sure why you took it so personally. But tell me what I obviously missed. His comments about learning about emulating non keyboard instruments is certainly valid.

#405645 - 07/27/15 12:06 AM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: cgiles]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Originally Posted By: Henni
...That's what I like about not ***playing for money***...Nothing testing your nerves as ***performing*** in the cold (atmosphere) where no one expects you & most don't want you...Note the new amp installed on top for the 18" Celestian bass bins. We now ***pack quite a punch***...

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Luckily, most don't (and couldn't) ***play for pay*** but still manage to find long-suffering audiences to subject to ***megawatt*** ***'performances'***.

#405737 - 07/28/15 06:29 AM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: cgiles]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

About timing:
This is one area that teachers have the most trouble with. It seems that one hears it or does not. It's also another area
where teachers "forget" about it and let students go on and
on skipping note values.

However, if someone loves to play music for their own enjoyment,then let em skip all they want to. Lloyd

#405754 - 07/28/15 09:59 AM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Tyrosman5
About timing:
This is one area that teachers have the most trouble with. It seems that one hears it or does not. It's also another area
where teachers "forget" about it and let students go on and
on skipping note values.

However, if someone loves to play music for their own enjoyment,then let em skip all they want to. Lloyd

Agree 100%. John C (bruno123) says "The untalented player can be taught timing". I agree with John on most things, but not this. I share YOUR view on this particular point.

On your other point, "if someone loves to play music for their own enjoyment,then let em skip all they want to", I also agree. I don't ever recall criticizing a home player or hobbyist. What they do with their own money and why and how they do it is nobody's business but theirs. BUT, once you 'take your act on the road' (deliberately put it in the public domain), you can be sure it's going to be critiqued, for good or bad, and if enough people say the same thing, there is probably some validity to it and you can choose to use it to improve some deficiencies in your performances (eloquently stated by DonM), or you can choose to continue to live in denial.

Synthzone is certainly one of the kinder boards. The people here are generally reluctant to point out negatives in a performance, so when they do, you should probably sit up and take notice.

chas

#405758 - 07/28/15 11:28 AM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I for one would certainly benefit from AKB lessons - instrument emulation, EQ, compression, organ registrations, are just a few things I need to know more about ...

#405760 - 07/28/15 12:04 PM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I thought that was the whole idea behind such a forum, that is, to exchange ideas to help one another increase our knowledge and understanding of arrangers. I might know something about one area that you don't, and you might know something about another area that I don't. As a result we both learn something.
I'm a member of one forum that exists primarily for posting of arranger recordings the members have made. In your profile you choose which preference you want to display. "Positive Criticism Welcomed" "I Am Looking For Words Of Encouragement", or "Please Be Kind but Help Me".
Not a bad idea!

#405773 - 07/28/15 01:33 PM Re: Arranger KB lessons, anyone? [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thanks, NIGEL!

And Chas, you did right to just ignore the comment.

Russ

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online