SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#405373 - 07/23/15 12:48 PM Re: Audio versus midi... [Re: Henni]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks Markus,

After listening to all three demos you posted, the sheer realism of the Yamaha T5 is beyond comprehension. Those right hand voices are just incredible, and I, personally, do not believe that any other manufacturer has come remotely close in this category.

Granted, there are those that feel the drums are the most important aspect of the arranger keyboard, and I admit they are important. However, drums are not the only important component of a style and what the audience hears. When Peter Bartman played that trumpet I was awestruck at the realism it imparted to the overall performance.

Absolutely amazing,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#405379 - 07/23/15 01:24 PM Re: Audio versus midi... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

TYROS 5 sounds amazing wow!!! and a TILT Screen too wink

#405384 - 07/23/15 02:52 PM Re: Audio versus midi... [Re: travlin'easy]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Thanks Markus,

After listening to all three demos you posted, the sheer realism of the Yamaha T5 is beyond comprehension. Those right hand voices are just incredible, and I, personally, do not believe that any other manufacturer has come remotely close in this category.

Granted, there are those that feel the drums are the most important aspect of the arranger keyboard, and I admit they are important. However, drums are not the only important component of a style and what the audience hears. When Peter Bartman played that trumpet I was awestruck at the realism it imparted to the overall performance.

Absolutely amazing,

Gary cool

Yamaha drums on the Tyros 5 are not really an issue either. Plenty of tweaking and any ambience can be realistically simulated with Real Reverb. The Real Drums and Real Brushes kits are next to audio quality, plus there are over 75 Tyros 5 audio styles to borrow the audio drum part from.
All my 20 Custom Kits transferred fine from my Tyros 4, plus unlimited room for more (depends on expansion memory installed). Any of the Tyros drum kits are editable in the YEM voice creator.
Yamaha didn't put a detailed onboard drum editor on the Tyros 5, but more than enough editing possible in Voice Creator, making your own sampled kits, and editing through previous Yamaha drum editor software. I still use my PC Plugin Board Drum Editor for the PLG-150DR board, as Yamaha always had comprehensive drum editing.

Marcus

#405385 - 07/23/15 03:05 PM Re: Audio versus midi... [Re: Marcus]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYEiFBaKh1M

This is the best demo I've seen in a long time.
The Tyros 5 as shown by Peter Baartsman is an amazing piece of equipment/ musical instrument.

I think I will sell my house, my car and my wife to get one of these. clap

Frank ( hope I can sleep tonight)

#405395 - 07/23/15 05:05 PM Re: Audio versus midi... [Re: Henni]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
But you guys (Gary and Mockie) are not Peter Baartsman so YOUR trumpet sound /playing won't sound the same. To me it's all in the playing (talent, technique) and the arrangement. Just because Jimmy Smith sounds great on a B3, doesn't mean we all will! If it only were that simple!

And, Gary, being totally into Yamaha, won't ever give another brand even a chance.

#405401 - 07/23/15 07:04 PM Re: Audio versus midi... [Re: Henni]
travlin'easy Offline

Taike, old friend, the only brand of keyboard that I've never owned is Ketron. At one point, I thought I would eclipse the DNJ's personal record for the number of keyboards in my basement. But we all know that isn't even remotely possible for anyone here on this forum. I've even owned some lesser known brands that were made by the same folks that made my microwave oven. I've given Roland a shot when I purchased a G-800. I gave Korg a shot with the I3. I even tried using a Clavinova (never again). They all had their own attributes, but when it came to OVERALL SOUND, for me, it was Yamaha.

Now, I never said I was a Peter Bartman, and you know very well that I've always plainly and clearly shouted from the hillsides that I was not a musician - I'm an entertainer and damned proud of it. If I were as young as you I would not be retiring in October, but instead, out there for another 20 years entertaining the masses. Unfortunately, old folks like me contract various ailments that preclude the continuation of this wonderful ride I have been aboard for these many, many years. Aging isn't for wimps and sissies!

So old friend, if I'm fortunate enough to sail my tiny boat to your part of the world one day, maybe you can provide this old codger with some entertainment from that part of the world. I would love to see you perform in person.

All the best,

Gary cool

#405406 - 07/23/15 07:43 PM Re: Audio versus midi... [Re: Taike]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Taike
But you guys (Gary and Mockie) are not Peter Baartsman so YOUR trumpet sound /playing won't sound the same. To me it's all in the playing (talent, technique) and the arrangement. Just because Jimmy Smith sounds great on a B3, doesn't mean we all will! If it only were that simple!

Taike ... thank you ...
how many people here can honestly say that they have listened to the TOTL model from ANY manufacturer, tuned to perfection in the factory, with all the nuances applied to every voice, and played by the best demo player the company can hire, and they weren't blown away ?!? ... let me take it a step further - how many of us has every voice in their kb sounding like the demo that comes with the board ?

#405412 - 07/23/15 08:35 PM Re: Audio versus midi... [Re: Henni]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Gary, good luck sailing to a landlocked country. Going upstream the Mekong is impossible as well. Uh, I don't have time to feel old. Still feel like I'm a teenager and have the waistline (29) to prove it. wink

Tony, I've never understood those that think that their choice of brand beats the competition. Any instrument sounds amazing in the hands of a great musician. I have a Ketron Audya 76 Ajamsonic. Is it the best out there? Nope! There's NO best. A great player makes great music, no matter what brand.
I

For the record, I see myself as a competent player, not a great one. All of the greatest musicians NEVER thought of themselves as being the best. They ALL strived to be BETTER. The great Horowitz practiced several hours each and every day as I'm sure every serious musician does.

#405418 - 07/23/15 10:06 PM Re: Audio versus midi... [Re: Henni]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
What better opportunity to show everyone over here how YOU sound on your arranger than posting some of you single take, live recordings on the "Why I like my brand..." thread.

Talk is cheap. Let us hear how you sound on yours. This is not a competition, but is sure is interesting.

I'm really looking forward to hear some stuff from Bill & also from Ron. And Marcus, I'm very keen to hear some stuff from yourself after all the tweaking you've done.

Come on guys, make those forth coming! Show us the WOW selections of yourself on your own favorite brand. Not studio, edited multiple take stuff, but real live recordings as you would sound whist performing live.

As for me: I would never use an arranger in a band - I don't think that's where it belongs. I think an arranger IS a band operated by a single person...

Henni

#405451 - 07/24/15 08:08 AM Re: Audio versus midi... [Re: Henni]
travlin'easy Offline

Taike, For some reason I thought you lived on the coast of China, not up the Mekong River. I've been to Taiwan once, about 55 years ago, just for a couple days, then left there and flew to South Australia where I spent the following two months installing a satellite tracking station for NASA. I would have loved to spend more time in Taiwan, but were were just there as a stopover to pick up some parts for the job in Oz. Neat place.

All the best, and I'm looking forward to hearing some of your recordings,

Gary cool

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online