SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#404713 - 07/10/15 11:15 AM SD7 Recordings
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Here's a link to a folder with eight songs I recorded live last night, using Ketron SD7.
I know the vocals are a little hot on some, and to my ears they may be a little dry as well. I was trying to adjust to hearing a different sound system as well as the new keyboard.
Of course there are mistakes, as it is unedited and I'm far less than perfect. Still working on balance adjustments of lead sounds to style, and style parts, but it's coming along.
Vocal harmony is pretty basic.
Let me know what you think good or bad please.
Thanks!
https://app.box.com/s/2zr1h3utqdja4aao08nmew81vrwadcwr

#404718 - 07/10/15 01:30 PM Re: SD7 Recordings [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
OK, you asked for it. Overall, they sounded very, very good. However, the vocals sounded a bit thin, this having heard you live on a more than a few occasions. Additionally, the bass guitar sounds seemed to be a bit overpowering, even of the drums. But this may be because I am so accustomed to hearing the balance that Yamaha uses and not accustomed to hearing the SD7, or any Ketron product for that matter.

Keep em coming old friend,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#404724 - 07/10/15 02:18 PM Re: SD7 Recordings [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Thank you Gary. From what you said and from a couple of private replies I've had, the bass is too strong. I am hearing that also, particularly on certain styles.
I was tinkering with the vocals because of the Space Station amp.
This falls in line with my early issues with the Space Station. I was hearing it as being a little muddy because it was! Had nothing to do with the Space Station except that the sub was reproducing the lows where I could hear them louder.
I will use my original keyboard and vocal settings tonight and roll off a little bottom on the styles. As always it's a work in progress.
I was hoping to get more responses because the songs have been accessed quite a number of times already. I am afraid people don't like the sound and don't want to hurt my feelings, but that's why I posted the songs. Not to get way to go's, but to hear other opinions. I don't trust my ears too much any more.

#404730 - 07/10/15 02:43 PM Re: SD7 Recordings [Re: DonM]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Don,
I get the same thing on some of the styles - bass heavy. I have gone in to a lot of them and reduced the bass. Helps tons.

Deane

#404731 - 07/10/15 03:03 PM Re: SD7 Recordings [Re: DonM]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Don:

You could sing from the bottom of a well using a kazoo and it would still sound fantastic. I agree with the earlier responses but I also understand it takes a little time to adjust to new gear. Have no fear, my friend... you still have it.

All the best,

Dave Rice

#404732 - 07/10/15 03:07 PM Re: SD7 Recordings [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Bless you Dave. Your check is in the mail!
Stay tuned, I will try again tonight.

#404735 - 07/10/15 05:28 PM Re: SD7 Recordings [Re: DonM]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
Awesome recording Don!

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#404736 - 07/10/15 05:37 PM Re: SD7 Recordings [Re: DonM]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Don, all of the suggestions are coming from folks that were not in the room you played..

They are listening to PC speakers or headphones..

On top of that several are use to the Yamaha sound ( not live sound as the Ketron)...and they (DNJ and others) are use to cutting bass and pumping up the highs..(They have nursing home ears) smile

You are playing a room, and want to sound like a real band...the Ketron has great bass and drums, that sound live..When did you ever struggle to hear the bass of a live band...presence is there, and you feel bass..The drummer is also out front..dynamics...

Don't judge your performance of a live room based on a recording being heard on a pc..
We don't want to program and perform our sound to be live, and critic it to sound like a radio grin

#404737 - 07/10/15 05:45 PM Re: SD7 Recordings [Re: Fran Carango]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Fran
That was a nice read and accurately said !!!

Ron

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#404740 - 07/10/15 07:34 PM Re: SD7 Recordings [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
So, I wonder when Fran is going to hop aboard a plane and fly to Shreveport so he can hear Don perform live? Hmmmmm!

Flights leave hourly, Fran, wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online