SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#403969 - 06/24/15 06:59 PM Just ordered a Bose L1 Compact
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Hi, I just ordered a Bose L1 compact. For those of you who have speakers on the keyboard do you use both the Bose and the onboard speakers? If you do, do you place the Bose at the side of you in that case or still just to the back and side?

#403971 - 06/24/15 07:24 PM Re: Just ordered a Bose L1 Compact [Re: PraiseTheLord]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I use two compacts with the Yamaha S950. It works great, along with the onboard speakers. Like you said, I place mine to each side and slightly to the rear. No feedback. Works great. I wish the compacts had a few more of the small speakers. What is it now, 6? I’d like about 9 or 12 per column. I had the Model II at one time, so I’m aware of the difference between the two models.

#403973 - 06/24/15 07:55 PM Re: Just ordered a Bose L1 Compact [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Graham,
I use one, and mostly place it to the side of the keyboard. I use my harmonizer so much that I need to separate the flow of sound that enters my mic for best tracking. I leave the KB speakers on for my own monitor purposes. I LOVE this setup.

#403974 - 06/24/15 08:04 PM Re: Just ordered a Bose L1 Compact [Re: Uncle Dave]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I have used Two and also just One Bose Compact speakers on gigs since the Compacts first came out. The very best scenario is to place the speaker about 2 or 3 feet behind you or just to the side and behind you. When using just one make sure you run two cables from both the R/LR outputs into the Bose using a combining plug available at Radio Shack.

Often I am forced to place the speaker right next to the keyboard and that works ok too when necessary. I have run my mic into the keyboard and have also run it right into the Bose itself. I don't sing so either way works for me. I have never uses a mixer into the Bose - do all the EQ on the keyboards(Tyros 4 and Ketron SD7).

One word of caution - the Bose Compact can product a lot of Bass - especially if you must place it close to a wall when playing. Be prepared to EQ that out on the fly if necessary.

Every place I have played I have gotten rave comments about how great the sound is. The Bose is a great system and i'm sure you will like it a lot.

Deane

#403992 - 06/25/15 06:21 AM Re: Just ordered a Bose L1 Compact [Re: PraiseTheLord]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Thanks, some good thoughts for me to work through. How about EQ? I've heard the Bose is light on mid range.

#403993 - 06/25/15 06:31 AM Re: Just ordered a Bose L1 Compact [Re: PraiseTheLord]
hammer Offline

I have not noticed the "mid-range" issue. I have used EQ settings we got from Michael Vonchen some years back while in the UK on a visit. If you use the PSRTutorial I believe they have been listed on there. Actually, there are EQ settings from several users there that you can start with. These also include the compressor settings.

One of the main features of the Bose speakers is the sound dispersion. People in the back of the room here the same thing as those in front. I nave never had a time when people in back could not hear or that I had to turn the vol up so loud the folks in front were uncomfortable.

I generally set my Speaker vol at about 11 O'Clock and my keyboard vol is between 10 O'clock and Noon depending on the room size and number of people. Has worked great for me so far.

Deane

#404844 - 07/12/15 07:31 PM Re: Just ordered a Bose L1 Compact [Re: hammer]
PraiseTheLord Offline

So, after 10 days or so, I am generally very happy with the new Bose. I must say however that I am unable to connect both the L and the R output from the Pa900 into the Bose without problems.

If I connect into the RCA inputs using instrument cables and adapters I get a hum as early as 9-10 o'clock.

If I connect into the Line input using an adapter I cannot get the mic to come through, only the keyboard. That is a weird one!

Frankly, I am not too worried, since I have found the difference to be pretty small, and I am happy with the single cable connection, but you guys have recommended the two cable approach so I thought I would try it. Any ideas?

#404846 - 07/12/15 07:42 PM Re: Just ordered a Bose L1 Compact [Re: PraiseTheLord]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You might try a different cable.
Be sure the Bose and the mixer and/or keyboard are all grounded through the same plug box.

#404847 - 07/12/15 07:51 PM Re: Just ordered a Bose L1 Compact [Re: DonM]
PraiseTheLord Offline

I also tried some dedicated cables with 1/4 inch at one end and RCA at the other. Same result.

And into the line input, I tried an insert cable, being two cables joined into one stereo plug at one end. Same result.

Pa900 and Bose both plugged into same surge protector.

#404848 - 07/12/15 08:14 PM Re: Just ordered a Bose L1 Compact [Re: PraiseTheLord]
hammer Offline

I have never had this problem with my Bose Compacts. I run two cables, one each from the R/R-L outlets, into a cheap adaptor I got from Radio Shack which I plug into the larger receptor on the Bose. I have the input on the Bose set to Line-in not Guitar.

Hope this helps. If the problem persists I would call Bose.

Deane

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online