SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#403284 - 06/10/15 03:23 AM Need a refresher on editing SMFs
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I went to add an older SMF to my playlist and found that only the drums played - channel 10. The other channels were firing but I was getting no sound. I have a few of these that I now remember will not play properly on Yamaha equipment. They will play on my Roland and my Power Tracks and Media Player.

I remember a discussion years ago about a SYSEX message that needs to be added or deleted, but heck if I can remember or find it. Can anyone help me get these files to play on my s950?

#403311 - 06/10/15 11:20 AM Re: Need a refresher on editing SMFs [Re: cassp]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I've used Michael Bedesem's Midiplayer utility to make older files play on newer psr's. I think it can fix some issues and it also has a batch convers1on mode.

It's here http://michael-bedesem.software.informer.com/

As to sysex, maybe you need to add a GM or XG reset at the start of the file? Having said that I just looked at the psr950 data list and there's no sign of xg reset. There's few GM codes such as F0 7E XN 09 01 F7 which is GM1 system on (I think you can replace the XN with 00). You may find big lumps of sysex at the start of the file, which can be fx setup or even custom drum tunings, if you aren't sure this stuff is Yamaha specific I'd delete it.

#403313 - 06/10/15 01:30 PM Re: Need a refresher on editing SMFs [Re: cassp]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I think Michael Bedesem's MIDI Player II will solve all your problems - it's a great program.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#403405 - 06/13/15 09:59 AM Re: Need a refresher on editing SMFs [Re: cassp]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Thanks guys. I found that the Yamaha MegaEnhancer PC app works great. It automatically gives you the opportunity to switch regular midi sounds to keyboard specific mega sounds. Whatever else it does it makes the rest of the file work perfectly on the 950.

#403406 - 06/13/15 10:16 AM Re: Need a refresher on editing SMFs [Re: cassp]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: cassp
Thanks guys. I found that the Yamaha MegaEnhancer PC app works great. It automatically gives you the opportunity to switch regular midi sounds to keyboard specific mega sounds. Whatever else it does it makes the rest of the file work perfectly on the 950.

http://yamaha-megaenhancer-ver-1-4.software.informer.com/

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online