SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#40330 - 01/28/02 09:21 AM Musical arrangements on the KN 6500
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hello again, all my fellow music enthusiasts! I have just installed an EW02NX Wave Expansion Board in my 6500 and now am blessed with another 186 wonderful sounds! But, being the amateur musician that I am, they cannot be positioned in any One-Touch Play setup except by removing what is set up and then replacing it (them) with one or more of the new sounds. And I am not sure enough to know what sound patterns blend with what in R1, R2 and Left. So, I am asking you experts for some suggestions on musical sound setups that go well together using either the original 6500 sound patterns or the expanded ones from the EW02NX. (I hope this doesn't come across as a dumb query!) Thanks for any suggestions and replies, either here on the board or to my e-mail address. I never cease to be amazed at the knowledge you all seem to have that I will never be able to absorb totally! Happy playing to all!

Ted Rose

[This message has been edited by Ted Rose (edited 01-28-2002).]

#40331 - 01/28/02 01:03 PM Re: Musical arrangements on the KN 6500
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Ted, No such thing as a dumb query! Well, not on this forum anyway !
I'm not suggesting that this is the only answer to your 'problem' but it is what I do when I want to play a new song or tune.
First I find what I think is a suitable Style - Rhythm, Tempo and enabling or disabling some of the Accompaniment voices. I then balance the various parts of the accompaniment to my liking and store in the 8 panel memories. If I wish to change the style variations, or even the particular style, as I select the panel memories, then I enable 'Rhythm' change in the Expanded section of the panel memory control, and store the rhythm style and/or variation, in the particular panel memories. So that takes care of the 'Backing'.
I then think about which voices combinations may suit the particular tune or song - for R1, R2 and if used Left. I just try all sorts of different variations and when I find one I like, I just store it in panel memory 1. Then I try another setup and when happy, store it in panel memory 2 and so on. When I've got a suitable selection of sounds, maybe all 8 panel memories or just a few, I just store the whole setup to disc naming the file as the name of the song or tune. I don't know if you have a hard disc on your KN but it makes life so easy to recover the song files. Using just floppies, it's not so easy, not only because of access time but also the limitation imposed on the number of characters in the filename.
I stand to be corrected here, but I don't think you can edit the voices or any other parameters in the 'One Touch' settings. You can however select a particular set-up from One Touch and then save it in a panel memory and having done that, then 'tweak' it to your liking and save it back into panel memory.
I'm sure you will get some more suggestions from some of our other friends in the forum.
Hope you find my suggestions useful.

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 01-28-2002).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#40332 - 01/28/02 04:38 PM Re: Musical arrangements on the KN 6500
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Hi Ted,
Bill has given you a very good road map to follow in building an arrangement. I know that the best way to get a feeling toward what you like is to both hear and see what various combinations do. I think I may have a project that will help. I’ve just completed mastering a CD that was recorded on the KN6000. It is based on a wide variety of music from the movies. If there appears to be sufficient interest on the subject of arranging, I might post a few thoughts about the project and make the sequences available.
Frank

#40333 - 01/28/02 08:03 PM Re: Musical arrangements on the KN 6500
lrngkybrd Offline

Loc: Queen Creek, Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Bez:
Hi Ted,
Bill has given you a very good road map to follow in building an arrangement. I know that the best way to get a feeling toward what you like is to both hear and see what various combinations do. I think I may have a project that will help. I’ve just completed mastering a CD that was recorded on the KN6000. It is based on a wide variety of music from the movies. If there appears to be sufficient interest on the subject of arranging, I might post a few thoughts about the project and make the sequences available.
Frank

Sounds very interesting to me. I'm all ears.

#40334 - 01/28/02 08:54 PM Re: Musical arrangements on the KN 6500
Dave Shively Offline

Loc: Calimesa, Ca, USA
Hi Ted,
Like Bill said, there are no dumb questions here. The ones that are not asked are the dumb ones. I have a KN 6000 upgraded to 6500. If I understand you correctly, you want to know which instruments go with each other? If that is the case, try this set-up for strings. R-1-sympthony strings, R-2-octave strings, L-symp stgs. Go to Programs, Sounds, Part Settings. On R-1-up 1 octave, R-2-down 1 octave, L-0. Part 1-symp stgs.,Part-2-Bright Strings (EWO1 sound card),Part-3-dreamy strings, Part4-same as R-1, symp. strings. I pan all parts to center.
Go to multi and dsp and scroll down to exciter an set on exciter 2 (the exciter setting also works well with voices, choir,etc - give a breathy tone), go to Techni-cord and set on Big Band Reeds and with Techni-cord set on Part 4 instead of Conductor. Volume on part 4 - 105-110, all others 100. R-l,R-2and L adjust volumes to your likeing. Hope this is what you had in mind, if so then we can get onto other instruments and maybe set-ups that others on the forum use. Have Fun.
Best Regards,
Dave Shively
E-mail: nanshiv@aol.com

#40335 - 01/29/02 07:27 AM Re: Musical arrangements on the KN 6500
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Ted
1.At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal choice. You might check through your existing One Touch settings and make a note of any pairings (and balance settings) of R1 & R2 that suits your style of playing. Then pair up similar types of sound from your 'new' sounds. Also have a look at R1 & R2 settings in any commercial disks you might have.
2. By the way, did you have any success with the notation package I e-mailed you about?

#40336 - 01/29/02 07:53 AM Re: Musical arrangements on the KN 6500
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Ted...... I'm not sure what type of music you prefer. I have a pretty eclectic range myself, falling short of the popular stuff they give out "music" awards for nowadays, but depending on the venue, or when I'm taking some 'quiet' time at home, I prefer jazz ballads or great American standards played in a jazz style. One of the settings I particularly like is R1=grand piano, R2= Vibes&Guitar, with technichord set to 'Block'. I generally have piano or a lite organ voice on the left hand (using 'Fingered'). Use this with Alec's 'Shearing Ballad' (I think that's the correct name, Alec?) or the jazz ballad style (I haven't heard the kn65, so I'm not sure of the name). I really like the full, rich sound this provides. Used it one night with a sax player I worked with regularly a number of years ago, and he was blown away by it..... but again, all a matter of taste ......
t.
PS: Alec's styles can be found at Gunnar's site, or Walt Tenay's site.....
Keep making beautiful music....
t.

#40337 - 01/29/02 09:21 PM Re: Musical arrangements on the KN 6500
Ted Rose Offline

WOW!!! All these great suggestions (and I'll bet more will be forthcoming!) Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond to my query. I am having a wonderful time combining sounds in a variety of ways. I found a wonderful disk that I bought that has loads of combinations to feed into the keyboard and a list of suggested songs for each style and musical arrangement. Between that, the one-touch play button, your suggestions, and my experimenting, there are not enough hours in the day to try them all. What a blast I am having; my life has become so much richer with music and with the fun forum topics you have all been sharing. Thanks to all my musical friends for everything. You know you will be hearing from me again (and again) on this Forum!

Ted Rose

#40338 - 01/29/02 09:32 PM Re: Musical arrangements on the KN 6500
Ted Rose Offline

Thanks, Bill. I sure will try your suggestions! Thanks a lot.

Ted

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
Hi Ted, No such thing as a dumb query! Well, not on this forum anyway !
I'm not suggesting that this is the only answer to your 'problem' but it is what I do when I want to play a new song or tune.
First I find what I think is a suitable Style - Rhythm, Tempo and enabling or disabling some of the Accompaniment voices. I then balance the various parts of the accompaniment to my liking and store in the 8 panel memories. If I wish to change the style variations, or even the particular style, as I select the panel memories, then I enable 'Rhythm' change in the Expanded section of the panel memory control, and store the rhythm style and/or variation, in the particular panel memories. So that takes care of the 'Backing'.
I then think about which voices combinations may suit the particular tune or song - for R1, R2 and if used Left. I just try all sorts of different variations and when I find one I like, I just store it in panel memory 1. Then I try another setup and when happy, store it in panel memory 2 and so on. When I've got a suitable selection of sounds, maybe all 8 panel memories or just a few, I just store the whole setup to disc naming the file as the name of the song or tune. I don't know if you have a hard disc on your KN but it makes life so easy to recover the song files. Using just floppies, it's not so easy, not only because of access time but also the limitation imposed on the number of characters in the filename.
I stand to be corrected here, but I don't think you can edit the voices or any other parameters in the 'One Touch' settings. You can however select a particular set-up from One Touch and then save it in a panel memory and having done that, then 'tweak' it to your liking and save it back into panel memory.
I'm sure you will get some more suggestions from some of our other friends in the forum.
Hope you find my suggestions useful.

#40339 - 01/29/02 09:33 PM Re: Musical arrangements on the KN 6500
Ted Rose Offline

Thanks so much, Frank. Keep us informed on your CD, OK?

Ted

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Bez:
Hi Ted,
Frank

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online