SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#403196 - 06/07/15 01:53 AM How expensive is apple for music production?
Bachus Offline

A macbook Pro starts at about $1000, which is about two hundreds more dollars then comparable Microsoft Computers.. But then if you are a musician that wants to create music on it, thats not where it ends. There are some things you need to know...

For that extra money, you will get a Computer that is build to create music from its core. Where latency never is an issue. Where every program works straight out of the box... and my favourite, the Apple hardware can handle more then one soundsource in real time, allowing different programs access to the soundcard at the same time.

And especially, you can get Logic X with it for less then $200. Logic X is the cheapest top quality DAW available.

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/plugins-and-sounds/

And it comes with more high Quality sounds and loops then any other DAW out there. Most comparable DAW's with such a full package are $500 more expensive. (or you start out with garageband which is a simpler version of logic and comes for free)

On top of that there is mainstage which only costs $30 and comes with all the sounds of Logic, all 19 synth engines. and all the effects. Mainstage is the program you really want if you want to use VST's in a live setting. Its easy to set up and has a perfect set list..

What mainstage offers you, is to separate the keyboard sounds from your sequences or arrangements. so you can control them separately, the way us arranger players are used from our arrangers. Here a small example of someone controlling Both Mainstage and a DAW sequencer at the same time with a small Akai midi pads and knobs controller, which could be easily added to any arranger.

If you want to be creative with music, and you are prepared to go the Logic/mainstage route, there is no reason at all not to go the Apple way.. Not even the money.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#403206 - 06/07/15 07:38 AM Re: How expensive is apple for music production? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Aside from the high costs,,...let's not forget the MAJOR Learning Curve with these programs also.......

Edited by Dnj (06/07/15 07:39 AM)

#403207 - 06/07/15 08:19 AM Re: How expensive is apple for music production? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Aside from the high costs,,...let's not forget the MAJOR Learning Curve with these programs also.......

Well, thats not the topic, if you want to go this route, there will be a learning curve..

But both logic and mainstage are easier to grasp then most of the competition, the UI feels much more intuitive then more Chatotic DAWs like Cubase or Live, or the jungle they call protools...

In general people new to these programs are advised to start with garageband, then add mainstage, and finally upgrade to logic...works very intuitive, and you have both a recording studio as some great assets for your live performances...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#403208 - 06/07/15 08:38 AM Re: How expensive is apple for music production? [Re: Dnj]
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Bachus

I totally agree with your assessment. Their Desktops and laptops are a little more expensive than the PC route but it is the flow that I personally like. I am not a fan of iphones or ipads though.

I currently have a Windows 7 machine which I use to manage my Sites, but I will be moving over to the Apple side soon. I have a Surface Pro with Windows 8.1 but also not a big fan of Windows 8.1 Everyone says that the next Windows will be better, I guess time will tell.

I have been using a MacBook Air for the last 6 months and I have to say that it has been a very pleasant experience and it has influenced me dramatically.

You are "spot on" on the latency issue .

Ron

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#403209 - 06/07/15 08:43 AM Re: How expensive is apple for music production? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

There are so many choices out there to create music today,....
many here on this forum just want to turn on their arranger KB and play it with ease. If someone wants to get more creative and buy these production programs for whatever reasons, learn them, and also have the playing skills & talent chops, vocals, etc, to record and put together all the features offered in these programs that's ok too. It just ain't for everyone. Thanx for sharing the info.

#403242 - 06/08/15 02:32 PM Re: How expensive is apple for music production? [Re: Bachus]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
When you buy Apple you pay for the brand but also for their very tight control of hardware and software. This control results in very high stability and that's a big positive. The fact that midi and audio support has been built into the operating system since the beginning is also a very good thing.

PC's offer bang-for-buck advantages because it is a more open system but that's also a major reason for their greater instability.

Whilst I've always been a pc person if I was doing music production as a business then I'd be using Apple, no question. A couple of friends use Apple for semi-pro level music production and have no regrets at this decision.

Also I've got a cheap Windows 8.1 tablet and I also hope v10 will be better.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online