SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#402791 - 05/26/15 10:55 AM Re: What not to buy? [Re: Bachus]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
TWD,
I think you are right on point with one exception - I would not buy anything these days with less then an I5 processor and 8 Gigs of RAM. Reason- future software updates seem always to need a bit more power or ram to operate properly.

Good luck Boo with your choice.

Deane

#402792 - 05/26/15 11:09 AM Re: What not to buy? [Re: brickboo]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
XP was a good operating system and still favoured by some, however while good in its day; it’s not a patch on Windows 7 in any department, so if you are interested in an ultra-stable Windows platform go with Windows 7.

The latest Windows 8.1 has also improved on Windows 8 considerably since launch, and while still quirky (Windows 8 favoured touch screen over keyboard and mouse) is still a viable system.

Users of Windows 7, 8 & 8.1 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. (It will be provided by the Windows Update System)

Having used Windows 10 since the 1st technical preview came out, I can assure you that when the completed version is launched in summer (Probably a July launch) it will be a big improvement even over Windows 7 (And that takes some doing), and will put the spectre of Windows 8 to death the same as Windows 7 did for Vista.

Regarding Ram and CPU then unless you’re using audio or video editing software then 4GB will be fine when used with an SSD, (This is due to the SSDs high speed) The I3 CPU although only dual core, has hyper threading which will in general use give an I5 experience, however as mentioned before if your into audio and/or video editing then an I5 will be the minimum. (Just remember it doesn’t have hyper threading, so for top notch audio and video editing you would be better going for I7 as this does have hyper threading)

For what BrickBoo wants to do, the spec I provided in my previous post will be all that’s needed.

Bill

#402793 - 05/26/15 11:29 AM Re: What not to buy? [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: hammer
Donny,
You're right. None the Apple computers would be anywhere near the $600.00 price range. However, have you looked at some of the latest Windows based tablets like the surface pro etc...? I think MS has decided if apple can overcharge and still sell products we can too.

Anyway, back to the topic. I still would take a very close look at what Asus offers in the price range.

Deane

Dean... I hear ya ....what ever computer device you buy today will be ancient in a few months....it's an ever ending buy & sell that will never end in technology...... Apple ....Bose, .....etc, etc, all good stuff if someone is willing to pay the price for it $$$$$$$$$$$....otherwise there's plenty of other choices that will work just as well out there.

#402795 - 05/26/15 12:09 PM Re: What not to buy? [Re: brickboo]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I find Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro very fast and stable. While I don't test it's limits, I like it better than Win 7 and looking forward to Win 10.

#402798 - 05/26/15 12:36 PM Re: What not to buy? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Donny,
You're right. None the Apple computers would be anywhere near the $600.00 price range. However, have you looked at some of the latest Windows based tablets like the surface pro etc...? I think MS has decided if apple can overcharge and still sell products we can too.

Anyway, back to the topic. I still would take a very close look at what Asus offers in the price range.

Deane
disagree on this..... Computer speed increase has very much slowed down over the last five years, where normally people changed their computers every 3 years, today thats more then double that time.... I have a 3 year old macbook that still performa top, with i7 and 8gigs of memory and a gast ssd...

So buying a new laptop is something one really should not take to light

Dean... I hear ya ....what ever computer device you buy today will be ancient in a few months....it's an ever ending buy & sell that will never end in technology...... Apple ....Bose, .....etc, etc, all good stuff if someone is willing to pay the price for it $$$$$$$$$$$....otherwise there's plenty of other choices that will work just as well out there.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#402799 - 05/26/15 12:38 PM Re: What not to buy? [Re: Bernie9]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
I find Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro very fast and stable. While I don't test it's limits, I like it better than Win 7 and looking forward to Win 10.

Windows 8.1 was made for tablets and anything with a touchscreen or a touchpad.... But for mouse users it still feels 2nd rank ..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#402800 - 05/26/15 01:12 PM Re: What not to buy? [Re: brickboo]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
For what Boo does with a PC, he does not need an ass-kicking processor, and a gadzillion gigs of storage space. Just about any, newer, PC will be more than adequate for his needs. There is no need to spend a bunch of bucks on a PC for his needs. I talk with Boo regularly, and believe me, I know of his needs - they are minimal at best.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#402822 - 05/26/15 10:00 PM Re: What not to buy? [Re: brickboo]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I’ve been looking at this one in the Staples store every week.....’cause they’re on sale every week. The specs are right up there. But.....what’s holding me back is it’s a TOSHIBA. I don’t believe they have any kind of a valid track record. Are my correct?

Toshiba laptop at Staples

S55-B5280 Laptop Computer
15.6-in. Widescreen.
Intel Core i7 Processor,
12GB DDR3 memory
1TB hard drive,
Dual layer DVD +-RW Drive.
802.11b/g/n wireless.
Windows 8.1
$599.99

Also looking at the Dell’s……..very smart design….feels comfortable in my hands, but I’m reading mixed reviews of the Dell’s.

But any comments on that Toshiba? ....it's a good price....and an i7 processor!

#402834 - 05/27/15 07:27 AM Re: What not to buy? [Re: Mark79100]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Mark,
Many years ago I supported very large corp networks. One place had 400 Toshiba laptops for the sales force. Often a salesman would mess one up and we found Toshiba support to be terrible. I don't know if that is true today. Back then the hardware was very good back then.

Deane

#402878 - 05/27/15 09:11 PM Re: What not to buy? [Re: hammer]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Many years ago I supported very large corp networks. One place had 400 Toshiba laptops for the sales force. Often a salesman would mess one up and we found Toshiba support to be terrible. I don't know if that is true today.

Thanks for the feedback Deane.....something told me to hold off buying this piece. I think I WILL pass on it 'cause that's probably why they're always on sale!

Back then the hardware was very good back then.

You said a mouthful there. I'm using a 10 year old Dell desktop and it just keeps running and running and running. There's that old saying: "if it don't need fixin'....don't repair it. But I AM looking for a notebook as a spare and for Internet use.

Mark

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online