What not to buy?

Posted by: brickboo

What not to buy? - 05/24/15 05:55 PM

What computer laptops do I want to stay away from for under $600. Pleas step up and help me PLEaSSSE
Posted by: mirza

Re: What not to buy? - 05/24/15 06:19 PM

It would help if you would specify what are you going to use that laptop for.
But here are some:

http://bestlaptopadvisor.com/best-laptops-under-600/
Posted by: hammer

Re: What not to buy? - 05/24/15 07:08 PM

Boo,
HP and Dell have taken a big step backwards the last few years. Take a look at ASUS or Samsung for Windows laptops. Not sure if they are in the price range you posted.

Deane

Re: What not to buy? - 05/24/15 07:56 PM

Just computing. Not one game, no videos to speak of. Surfacing facebook word processing etc. Watch youtube some but not every day Like I've done the last two years. Got my Sons dish and a 55" TV now.
Does this help?

Re: What not to buy? - 05/24/15 08:05 PM

Boo,
With Windows based computers it is good to buy as much processing power that is affordable because later software updates will need it. Don't go below on I5 processor and get an I7 if possible. Hard disk size is the same. Seem like newer software takes up more space with each new version. Good luck with your choice.

Deane
Posted by: rphillipchuk

Re: What not to buy? - 05/24/15 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: hammer
Boo,
With Windows based computers it is good to buy as much processing power that is affordable because later software updates will need it. Don't go below on I5 processor and get an I7 if possible. Hard disk size is the same. Seem like newer software takes up more space with each new version. Good luck with your choice.

Deane

Good advice !!!! Exactly what I would have said clap

Re: What not to buy? - 05/24/15 08:23 PM

Hammer what's i3, i5 ,i7 denote?

Re: What not to buy? - 05/24/15 09:02 PM

Boo,
I3, I5, and I7 are the processor names with I7 being the fastest. There are dual core and quad core processors. The Quad core processors are the better ones. I don't remember if the I7 is dual or Quad.

Boo, any young person at a major store like Best Buy can provide you with good info. Also you can go to www.cnet.com and find articles about " best laptops". www.pcmag.com is another good resource.

Deane
Posted by: abacus

Re: What not to buy? - 05/25/15 01:11 AM

Hi BrickBoo

If you are sure you are not going to be using music, video or gaming software, then go for a laptop with a fast Intel I3 processor (You are wasting money with an I5 or I7 for your use) 4GB of Ram & a 250GB SSD (Solid State Drive), I would also recommend you go for at least a 15” screen.

If you need extra storage at a later date, you can pick up a USB 3 portable drive for minimal cost. (This also has the advantage that all valuable information can be stored away from the laptop as well as being able to be used with other computers) Also remember that if you have broadband (With an unlimited Data Plan) you can use cloud storage for extra space.

Finally try out the keyboard and screen to make sure you are comfortable with them. (This is a vitally important point that most people miss)

Hope this helps

Bill
Posted by: Dnj

Re: What not to buy? - 05/25/15 06:02 AM

http://www.laptopmag.com/best-laptops

Re: What not to buy? - 05/25/15 07:29 AM

Boo,
Bill is absolutely right about the storage issue but we differ I our philosophy about processor power and RAM. I have personally never regretted buying as much processing power as I could and making sure I had 8 gigs of RAM.

Also, resale value is better for the system I am describing.
Deane
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: What not to buy? - 05/25/15 08:26 AM

Just stay away from the Atom processors. They are used extensively in the cheaper units and are under powered. I have had everything from Atom to i7 and wouldn't go below i3, preferably at least i5.

It is like maintaining head room in music; you may not need it everyday now, but you may want the extra later on.

Re: What not to buy? - 05/25/15 08:35 AM

Bernie is right on target. We never know for sure what we will do with our technology so why not go for the better choice if it is our budget.

Deane
Posted by: Riceroni9

Re: What not to buy? - 05/26/15 06:09 AM

Boo:

Deane is referring to Intel's line of processors. He is right. One thing I would advise, wait until after the new launch of Windows 10 which is scheduled to happen mid-summer if you can believe anything Microsoft says. (Windows 8... both versions, have been a disaster for people who use computers for serious stuff... other than apps or games.) If you cannot wait, look for a laptop with Windows 7... or spend more money and go for the latest Apple Operating System. Or, Option 3... be prepared for a steep learning curve and opt for a Linux Mint based system.

Windows XP was the most stable, reliable system Microsoft has ever built. The idiots could have spent more productive time by improving upon it and adding an App handler on the back end for the teenie boppers.

All the best,

Dave
Posted by: Tonewheeldude

Re: What not to buy? - 05/26/15 07:02 AM

My suggestion is a little different and comes with almost 20 years of IT experience with Laptops: Dont be fooled by huge specifications....go for quality proven brands every time. You can also pretty much ignore 90% of internet reviews because 9 times out of 10 they are by people or companies reviewing out of the box systems - the truth is, 12 months....and half a dozen OS updates later the laptop will be running very differently. Also people hardly ever post cooments online when they are happy, so a succesfull brand will always have more negative comments from owners.

First you need to decide what you want to do with your laptop because that will make a difference on certain hardware choices.

If you are going to be working with huge image files with multiple layers (and I mean HUGE as in billboard sized), video rendering or 3d gaming then you need a system with a suitable graphics chip - the pay off is battery life. if you are using it for internet, emails and word processing you do not need high end graphics - the benefit will be longer battery life. Or, if you want both (like me) I have a laptop with OS switchable graphics.

CPU power and RAM are similar to the above but with the following: If you are a person that likes tons of tabs and processes running at the same time the CPU and RAM need to be faster and larger, if your not into installing a lot of third party stuff and don't multitask much then you dont need to worry about having the fastest and the biggest!

For me and depending on your budget, it is better to get a more expensive lower spec computer, (for example a base model I3/I5 Thinkpad) than a fully loaded low cost I7 unit from a company that produces high volume, high spec, low cost units.

Re: What not to buy? - 05/26/15 07:05 AM

Boo,
Dave is perfectly right. I personally gave up on Windows computers and now own and use a MacBook Pro laptop, an IMac desktop, and also an IPad. I Keep one Windows Laptop to use with special keyboard related software that has no Apple version.
Deane

Re: What not to buy? - 05/26/15 07:23 AM

OP...under $600.00.......

Re: What not to buy? - 05/26/15 08:16 AM

Donny,
You're right. None the Apple computers would be anywhere near the $600.00 price range. However, have you looked at some of the latest Windows based tablets like the surface pro etc...? I think MS has decided if apple can overcharge and still sell products we can too.

Anyway, back to the topic. I still would take a very close look at what Asus offers in the price range.

Deane
Posted by: Bachus

Re: What not to buy? - 05/26/15 09:05 AM

Donny,
You're right. None the Apple computers would be anywhere near the $600.00 price range. However, have you looked at some of the latest Windows based tablets like the surface pro etc...? I think MS has decided if apple can overcharge and still sell products we can too.

Anyway, back to the topic. I still would take a very close look at what Asus offers in the price range.

Deane

But then they where wrong, as the ultrabook series microsoft put up against apple Macbooks are considered unsuccesfull, because people deem them to expensive..

Re: What not to buy? - 05/26/15 09:07 AM

Back on topic....

maybe Boo should tell us what he is considering to buy, its much easier to advise based on that... all brands have good and not so good laptops in their range..

Just post the 3 PC's you are considering and what you consider important in a PC and people will advise you... and even come up with a best buy outside of your 3 choices if they deem another one more fitting...

Re: What not to buy? - 05/26/15 10:55 AM

TWD,
I think you are right on point with one exception - I would not buy anything these days with less then an I5 processor and 8 Gigs of RAM. Reason- future software updates seem always to need a bit more power or ram to operate properly.

Good luck Boo with your choice.

Deane

Re: What not to buy? - 05/26/15 11:09 AM

XP was a good operating system and still favoured by some, however while good in its day; it’s not a patch on Windows 7 in any department, so if you are interested in an ultra-stable Windows platform go with Windows 7.

The latest Windows 8.1 has also improved on Windows 8 considerably since launch, and while still quirky (Windows 8 favoured touch screen over keyboard and mouse) is still a viable system.

Users of Windows 7, 8 & 8.1 will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. (It will be provided by the Windows Update System)

Having used Windows 10 since the 1st technical preview came out, I can assure you that when the completed version is launched in summer (Probably a July launch) it will be a big improvement even over Windows 7 (And that takes some doing), and will put the spectre of Windows 8 to death the same as Windows 7 did for Vista.

Regarding Ram and CPU then unless you’re using audio or video editing software then 4GB will be fine when used with an SSD, (This is due to the SSDs high speed) The I3 CPU although only dual core, has hyper threading which will in general use give an I5 experience, however as mentioned before if your into audio and/or video editing then an I5 will be the minimum. (Just remember it doesn’t have hyper threading, so for top notch audio and video editing you would be better going for I7 as this does have hyper threading)

For what BrickBoo wants to do, the spec I provided in my previous post will be all that’s needed.

Bill

Re: What not to buy? - 05/26/15 11:29 AM

Donny,

Deane

Dean... I hear ya ....what ever computer device you buy today will be ancient in a few months....it's an ever ending buy & sell that will never end in technology...... Apple ....Bose, .....etc, etc, all good stuff if someone is willing to pay the price for it $$$$$$$$$$$....otherwise there's plenty of other choices that will work just as well out there.
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: What not to buy? - 05/26/15 12:09 PM

I find Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro very fast and stable. While I don't test it's limits, I like it better than Win 7 and looking forward to Win 10.

Re: What not to buy? - 05/26/15 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Donny,

Deane
disagree on this..... Computer speed increase has very much slowed down over the last five years, where normally people changed their computers every 3 years, today thats more then double that time.... I have a 3 year old macbook that still performa top, with i7 and 8gigs of memory and a gast ssd...

So buying a new laptop is something one really should not take to light

Dean... I hear ya ....what ever computer device you buy today will be ancient in a few months....it's an ever ending buy & sell that will never end in technology...... Apple ....Bose, .....etc, etc, all good stuff if someone is willing to pay the price for it $$$$$$$$$$$....otherwise there's plenty of other choices that will work just as well out there.

Re: What not to buy? - 05/26/15 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
I find Windows 8.1 on my Surface Pro very fast and stable. While I don't test it's limits, I like it better than Win 7 and looking forward to Win 10.

Windows 8.1 was made for tablets and anything with a touchscreen or a touchpad.... But for mouse users it still feels 2nd rank ..
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: What not to buy? - 05/26/15 01:12 PM

For what Boo does with a PC, he does not need an ass-kicking processor, and a gadzillion gigs of storage space. Just about any, newer, PC will be more than adequate for his needs. There is no need to spend a bunch of bucks on a PC for his needs. I talk with Boo regularly, and believe me, I know of his needs - they are minimal at best.

Gary cool
Posted by: Mark79100

Re: What not to buy? - 05/26/15 10:00 PM

I’ve been looking at this one in the Staples store every week.....’cause they’re on sale every week. The specs are right up there. But.....what’s holding me back is it’s a TOSHIBA. I don’t believe they have any kind of a valid track record. Are my correct?

Toshiba laptop at Staples

S55-B5280 Laptop Computer
15.6-in. Widescreen.
Intel Core i7 Processor,
12GB DDR3 memory
1TB hard drive,
Dual layer DVD +-RW Drive.
802.11b/g/n wireless.
Windows 8.1
$599.99

Also looking at the Dell’s……..very smart design….feels comfortable in my hands, but I’m reading mixed reviews of the Dell’s.

But any comments on that Toshiba? ....it's a good price....and an i7 processor!

Re: What not to buy? - 05/27/15 07:27 AM

Mark,
Many years ago I supported very large corp networks. One place had 400 Toshiba laptops for the sales force. Often a salesman would mess one up and we found Toshiba support to be terrible. I don't know if that is true today. Back then the hardware was very good back then.

Deane

Re: What not to buy? - 05/27/15 09:11 PM

Many years ago I supported very large corp networks. One place had 400 Toshiba laptops for the sales force. Often a salesman would mess one up and we found Toshiba support to be terrible. I don't know if that is true today.

Thanks for the feedback Deane.....something told me to hold off buying this piece. I think I WILL pass on it 'cause that's probably why they're always on sale!

Back then the hardware was very good back then.

You said a mouthful there. I'm using a 10 year old Dell desktop and it just keeps running and running and running. There's that old saying: "if it don't need fixin'....don't repair it. But I AM looking for a notebook as a spare and for Internet use.

Mark

Re: What not to buy? - 05/28/15 01:01 AM

Hi Mark

If your Dell is 10 years old I hope you have changed the HDD, if you haven’t then do so immediately as you are running on borrowed time. (On average in full use most HDD have roughly a 3 year life span which can be extended to about 5 years in a domestic environment)

Remember if the HDD fails, and you have not backed everything up, you have lost everything. (There are companies that can retrieve data off a failed HDD but they cost an arm & a leg)

Bill

Re: What not to buy? - 05/28/15 09:17 AM

I've looked and read till I'm sick. Then all the comments on the internet about bloatware is disgusting. I'm taking a break. Lenovo 15" G50 4GB 500 GB with i3 $329 Best Buy then Hp r210 17" 6GB 750GB i5 $429 Best Buy and all loaded and more loaded with crap. Thanks for all the help.

Eddie Shoemaker has been a big help and I have an email from him of what to do after I plug it in to remove the crapola, update windows etc. I assume that if I wait, they will want $1200 for a $550 machine because they installed Windows 10 on it, whereas if I buy now, I can get windows 10 for free. I hate high tech. I should have lived in the Randolph Scott, John Wayne era of 1850 - 1910.

I think Gary is right. I type words ha ha, I surf the internet. No interest in playing and storing music nor videos. I check out some Jazz sax on youtube with earplugs etc. I've connected with a ton of old school buddies on a special Facebook Page. I don't even watch gunsmoke on youtube anymore since I've inherited Dish and my Son's large screen TV. If I start playing sax live again, no worry I've done that with BIAB on an ancient laptop Years ago.

You know what! If a few of you told me what you were doing with your system to need 8GB and a Trillion GB's HD, I might understand better.

This Gateway is working fine with an Intel processor I never even came across. My 4GB 500GB has very little space taken up after I won it a year ago and I'm on it hours a day every day. I wouldn't even be looking for a computer if it wasn't for this damn space bar. I just now showed a friend who wanted to see what I'm talking about. If you lay a hair on the space bar it types spaces for ever. Also if the cursor is on the scroll bar and you lay a hair on the space bar guess what happens? The screen will scroll. Go figure! Talk about a hair trigger, this is it. Thanks again for all of the help friends.

Re: What not to buy? - 05/28/15 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: abacus

If your Dell is 10 years old I hope you have changed the HDD, if you haven’t then do so immediately as you are running on borrowed time. (On average in full use most HDD have roughly a 3 year life span which can be extended to about 5 years in a domestic environment)

Remember if the HDD fails, and you have not backed everything up, you have lost everything. (There are companies that can retrieve data off a failed HDD but they cost an arm & a leg)

Bill....those are really good points you made and not just for me but for others here. I'm keeping an eye on all my periphals...all but my primary drive. I forgot it doesn't go on forever.

Unfortunately, I can't even BUY a drive for it anymore...it has IDE architecture and the major manufacturers are putting out SST drives now. I have 325 Gigs on it but I wanted to replace it with a 500 GB. That's when I found out my choices were limited.

But I DO have everything backed up in case of failure in any way. I bought 5 external drives and I have a second internal drive.

Also, I found this program years ago that is incredible. It makes copies (for 24 hours) of every file I change during the day and at night I just press one button and ALL of my files that I designate get saved to any drive I choose.

What you said was so important, I'm going to repeat it again hear for those who missed it.......

On average in full use most HDD have roughly a 3 year life span which can be extended to about 5 years in a domestic environment.

Remember if the HDD fails, and you have not backed everything up, you have lost everything.