SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#402888 - 05/28/15 01:01 AM Re: What not to buy? [Re: brickboo]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Mark

If your Dell is 10 years old I hope you have changed the HDD, if you haven’t then do so immediately as you are running on borrowed time. (On average in full use most HDD have roughly a 3 year life span which can be extended to about 5 years in a domestic environment)

Remember if the HDD fails, and you have not backed everything up, you have lost everything. (There are companies that can retrieve data off a failed HDD but they cost an arm & a leg)

Bill

#402910 - 05/28/15 09:17 AM Re: What not to buy? [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I've looked and read till I'm sick. Then all the comments on the internet about bloatware is disgusting. I'm taking a break. Lenovo 15" G50 4GB 500 GB with i3 $329 Best Buy then Hp r210 17" 6GB 750GB i5 $429 Best Buy and all loaded and more loaded with crap. Thanks for all the help.

Eddie Shoemaker has been a big help and I have an email from him of what to do after I plug it in to remove the crapola, update windows etc. I assume that if I wait, they will want $1200 for a $550 machine because they installed Windows 10 on it, whereas if I buy now, I can get windows 10 for free. I hate high tech. I should have lived in the Randolph Scott, John Wayne era of 1850 - 1910.

I think Gary is right. I type words ha ha, I surf the internet. No interest in playing and storing music nor videos. I check out some Jazz sax on youtube with earplugs etc. I've connected with a ton of old school buddies on a special Facebook Page. I don't even watch gunsmoke on youtube anymore since I've inherited Dish and my Son's large screen TV. If I start playing sax live again, no worry I've done that with BIAB on an ancient laptop Years ago.

You know what! If a few of you told me what you were doing with your system to need 8GB and a Trillion GB's HD, I might understand better.

This Gateway is working fine with an Intel processor I never even came across. My 4GB 500GB has very little space taken up after I won it a year ago and I'm on it hours a day every day. I wouldn't even be looking for a computer if it wasn't for this damn space bar. I just now showed a friend who wanted to see what I'm talking about. If you lay a hair on the space bar it types spaces for ever. Also if the cursor is on the scroll bar and you lay a hair on the space bar guess what happens? The screen will scroll. Go figure! Talk about a hair trigger, this is it. Thanks again for all of the help friends.

Edited by brickboo (05/28/15 09:21 AM)

#402942 - 05/28/15 10:44 PM Re: What not to buy? [Re: abacus]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: abacus

If your Dell is 10 years old I hope you have changed the HDD, if you haven’t then do so immediately as you are running on borrowed time. (On average in full use most HDD have roughly a 3 year life span which can be extended to about 5 years in a domestic environment)

Remember if the HDD fails, and you have not backed everything up, you have lost everything. (There are companies that can retrieve data off a failed HDD but they cost an arm & a leg)

Bill....those are really good points you made and not just for me but for others here. I'm keeping an eye on all my periphals...all but my primary drive. I forgot it doesn't go on forever.

Unfortunately, I can't even BUY a drive for it anymore...it has IDE architecture and the major manufacturers are putting out SST drives now. I have 325 Gigs on it but I wanted to replace it with a 500 GB. That's when I found out my choices were limited.

But I DO have everything backed up in case of failure in any way. I bought 5 external drives and I have a second internal drive.

Also, I found this program years ago that is incredible. It makes copies (for 24 hours) of every file I change during the day and at night I just press one button and ALL of my files that I designate get saved to any drive I choose.

What you said was so important, I'm going to repeat it again hear for those who missed it.......

On average in full use most HDD have roughly a 3 year life span which can be extended to about 5 years in a domestic environment.

Remember if the HDD fails, and you have not backed everything up, you have lost everything.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online