SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#402489 - 05/16/15 11:06 AM The Satisfaction of NOT playing along to a Style
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Just a simple drum backing and playing all that's needed.

Enjoy

Bill

#402490 - 05/16/15 11:37 AM Re: The Satisfaction of NOT playing along to a Style [Re: abacus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Certainly, it's a nice change to play without a style, but I still enjoy playing along with one...especially if it's one I've modded for myself.

Alan McPike is one of my favorite multi-keyboard solo players...his site has all kinds of cool arrangements all done without the use of styles and includes some fine bass pedal work indeed.

Ian

#402493 - 05/16/15 12:57 PM Re: The Satisfaction of NOT playing along to a Style [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

Alan is one of the best around!!

#402494 - 05/16/15 01:07 PM Re: The Satisfaction of NOT playing along to a Style [Re: ianmcnll]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Alan McPike is one of my favorite multi-keyboard solo players...

Ditto for me. The thing I like about him most is his tastefulness....in both playing style and song selection. Also, he plays pedals like a bass player, not like an organist. I always really liked the guy.....a real musician. If most arranger players had his skill set, arranger sales would be down by at least 90% smile smile.

chas

#402501 - 05/16/15 02:13 PM Re: The Satisfaction of NOT playing along to a Style [Re: cgiles]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Alan McPike is one of my favorite multi-keyboard solo players...

Ditto for me. The thing I like about him most is his tastefulness....in both playing style and song selection. Also, he plays pedals like a bass player, not like an organist. I always really liked the guy.....a real musician. If most arranger players had his skill set, arranger sales would be down by at least 90% smile smile.
chas

One of the many things that impresses me about Alan, is the expression on his face and his body language while playing...he is experiencing pure bliss!

Everything just flows almost effortlessly.

When he plays behind a singer, his use of strings is exceptionally tasteful...and, he's certainly not using what I'd call, the latest in gear.

He doesn't let his technique get in the way of his playing, either. Often, he's playing with just one hand, and yet nothing seems to be missing!

I also like how he does those little drum fills...just dabs them in like he's painting a musical picture, or punctuating a sentence.

It's too bad there weren't more views of his bass pedal work...again, it appears to be effortless. I play bass pedals (used to teach them at Electone School) and man, I can really appreciate his skill, and, and as you say, he plays like a bass player.

Ian

#402504 - 05/16/15 03:05 PM Re: The Satisfaction of NOT playing along to a Style [Re: ianmcnll]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Certainly, it's a nice change to play without a style, but I still enjoy playing along with one...especially if it's one I've modded for myself.

Alan McPike is one of my favorite multi-keyboard solo players...his site has all kinds of cool arrangements all done without the use of styles and includes some fine bass pedal work indeed.

Ian
It reminds me of playing arps on my Yamaha Motif XF. Very nice!

#402506 - 05/16/15 03:52 PM Re: The Satisfaction of NOT playing along to a Style [Re: Mikem]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
This guys is a REAL player. Good, innovative variations on the lead line.

What is the drum triggering device?

R.

#402507 - 05/16/15 04:02 PM Re: The Satisfaction of NOT playing along to a Style [Re: abacus]
ianmcnll Offline

According to Alan...

"Drum machines are an Alesis SR16 for patterns and left hand hits, and a Boss DR880 plays all the sounds.

Keyboards are YAMAHA KX88 mother ; YAMAHA SY77 - both midi-ed to an EMU sampler and a Korg Trinity on top with Roland PK5 bass pedals."

Ian

#402508 - 05/16/15 06:58 PM Re: The Satisfaction of NOT playing along to a Style [Re: abacus]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
Just a simple drum backing and playing all that's needed.

Enjoy

Bill

Billy, this guy is amazing...terrific pedal work.

Is that way you prefer to play...without a style...do you ever use one?

What kind of music do you primarily play when you don't use a style...what genre?

Do you do uptempo tunes where the bass pedals really get a workout?

Ian

#402511 - 05/17/15 02:26 AM Re: The Satisfaction of NOT playing along to a Style [Re: abacus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Ian

As far as styles go it depends on the music, (Although my favourite is heavy rock, (I’m a 70s guy) I enjoy most types of music (Never could get into punk though) including classical) but by and large it is just drums and occasional chord backing from the style to add variation when the chord progression is moving slow. (Hence styles have always been way down the list of priorities for me, however I do like experimenting with sound, which is why 3rd party sound support and editing is of paramount importance to have on any instrument I purchase)

Don’t play many really fast pedals these days as I am stiffer than I used to be (The downside of age), plus with other interests and a day job I don’t get that much time to practice or play.

The main problem with styles for me, is that if you listen to a live arranger player, 90% of them sound exactly the same as each other, (Their arranger forces them to play what the style dictates) whereas those that don’t rely on styles, develop their own individual style of playing. (This has always been my preference)

Bill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online