SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#402084 - 05/07/15 06:01 AM Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9
rosetree
Unregistered

Just saw that its price at Europe's largest online store has dropped from 1780 to 1499 Euros, 500 less than the initial price.
http://www.thomann.de/de/roland_bk_9.htm

Edited by rosetree (05/07/15 06:02 AM)

#402096 - 05/07/15 07:57 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
Just saw that its price at Europe's largest online store has dropped from 1780 to 1499 Euros, 500 less than the initial price.
http://www.thomann.de/de/roland_bk_9.htm

No surprise there....
Roland has disappointed many arranger KB players since the G70 frown

#402105 - 05/07/15 11:44 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

I still think it has more to do with bad marketing (including bad demos) than bad quality of the arranger. In one respect however Roland deserves the sales failure: announcing tone expansions first and then abandoning them, that's a way of putting off customers. Sadly, they did it the same way with the Fantom G.

#402106 - 05/07/15 12:22 PM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

I still think it has more to do with bad marketing (including bad demos) than bad quality of the arranger. In one respect however Roland deserves the sales failure: announcing tone expansions first and then abandoning them, that's a way of putting off customers. Sadly, they did it the same way with the Fantom G.

This and the fact that noboddy understands the two sepperated cheap screens..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#402114 - 05/07/15 02:33 PM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
The BK-9 is a great arranger in many respects, but marketed dismally. The two screens are a put off until you bother to read the manual to understand that they act in concert to one another in making changes much faster than menu based buttons.

The only peeve I have is that Roland was too lazy or cheap to hone their sounds, unlike Yamaha e.g. that has polished their OOTB sounds.

It is definitely a keeper IMO, but takes a bit of work.

#402121 - 05/07/15 05:41 PM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I'm very happy with mine. I'm too lazy and can't justify buying another Arranger because of a few differences some consider better. Just came in from my studio to read this thread. I was working on "Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye" and having fun with the Clonewheel Hammond sounds in the BK9. When all you rich guys go jump on your new Yamaha's and Kentrons let me know if you have a BK9 you'd like to get rid of. I may in the market for a 2nd if the price is right.
Not to hijack the thread to a different subject but it does a great job of backing me up when I sing and really thats all people listen to, the vocals. For strictly instrumental work its just fine too.

#402123 - 05/07/15 07:24 PM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Start up the rumor mill... I can think of at least two other explanations:
(A) We're seeing the caboose at the end of the train: Roland's new management is getting out of the arranger business, leaving the BK-9 an orphan with no further development planned. Think Technics, GEM, etc.
(B) The factory is letting them lower the MAP to clear out the distribution chain in advance of a new model.
IMO it's not a random development. We'll see...

#402124 - 05/07/15 09:54 PM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
Fabulous! how many user styles can you make? probably none?
That's were Korg is the best for the money overall.

#402135 - 05/08/15 06:25 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Bill Lewis Offline

I'm not getting into a mine is better than yours debate but here's a bunch of demo videos on the BK9. Most have been listed here already but here they are all in one place. Besides its just 16 lbs. Love that ! I'll soon have an upstairs studio so I'm really happy about the weight. And I've said many times the two screens give lots of real time info and the IPAD integration is also available. More info than I can use in a live situation.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6542/roland-bk-9-arranger/p1

For live performances I think its fine. For studio recording quality sounds maybe VSTs are better, or real instruments !

#402138 - 05/08/15 07:01 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I have a suspicion Roland is getting out of the Arranger Keyboard market, maybe for good...maybe not, but I feel it's the former.

I thought the BK-9 was already an extraordinary bargain...76 keys, nice action, terrific organ (with drawbar control) and very decent Leslie sim, and good strong basic sounds like acoustic piano, Rhodes, guitars, strings etc., not to mention the relatively large style library.

They certainly have the basics for an exceptionally good top-line arranger, especially if they borrow from their synthesizer line.

Ian

#402142 - 05/08/15 07:26 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Don't forget that the BK-7m is a good seller. Its price has not dropped. So I think the BK-9 price drop is only a reaction to lacking demand for this model.
The BK-9 was developed (and I think also manufactured) in Italy by Roland Europe, and as we know, Roland Europe has been dissolved. We still don't know to what extent everything has been, or is being reinstalled in Asia. So an interruption in the arranger business was to be expected anyway. But regarding the success of the BK-7m, I'm not sure Roland will abandon the segment completely.

#402144 - 05/08/15 07:33 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
ianmcnll Offline

I hope they don't abandon the segment entirely. I was surprised at the lack of interest in the BK-9...I thought it was pretty cool.

Ian

#402147 - 05/08/15 07:49 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I hope they don't abandon the segment entirely. I was surprised at the lack of interest in the BK-9...I thought it was pretty cool.

Ian

Low sales sent Roland in another direction as anyone can see plainly.....they should of followed thru with a lightweight technically updated successor to the G70 which had some real nice features& throngs of loyal players...ever since then its been downhill for their arranger lines... frown

#402158 - 05/08/15 08:57 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: TedS]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: TedS
Start up the rumor mill... I can think of at least two other explanations:
(A) We're seeing the caboose at the end of the train: Roland's new management is getting out of the arranger business, leaving the BK-9 an orphan with no further development planned. Think Technics, GEM, etc.
(B) The factory is letting them lower the MAP to clear out the distribution chain in advance of a new model.
IMO it's not a random development. We'll see...

The new Roland management is currently placing Roland back on top where innovation is important.....

For the young that want to toy with music, they have added the aira range, which is selling very very good

For the old time synth fans they created the JD-XA, which combines a real analog synth with digital top sounds..

They are trying to make instruments that are espescially fum to play, and are currently succeeding at that...

So whats up next from Roland, a new arranger? Or a new workstation? Or something different? Noboddy knows, but i am quite sure that whatever they bring next is created with the fun of the musician in mind..

I think that Roland will keep surprising us in the time to come, the new management seem to know what musicians want, they stopped selling more of the same, as that was what they did for the last few years..

If they decide to ever make a new totl arranger, it will be spectacular for sure...

#402177 - 05/08/15 01:33 PM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: vangelis]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: vangelis
Fabulous! how many user styles can you make? probably none?
That's were Korg is the best for the money overall.

I'm not sure about making user styles onboard, but - like BK-7m - if you make your user styles with software assistance (Roland converter or EMC software or similar), you can store a virtually unlimited number of user styles, because the BK-9 always calls up styles directly from a USB stick.

#402206 - 05/09/15 12:30 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I have a suspicion Roland is getting out of the Arranger Keyboard market, maybe for good...maybe not, but I feel it's the former.

I thought the BK-9 was already an extraordinary bargain...76 keys, nice action, terrific organ (with drawbar control) and very decent Leslie sim, and good strong basic sounds like acoustic piano, Rhodes, guitars, strings etc., not to mention the relatively large style library.

They certainly have the basics for an exceptionally good top-line arranger, especially if they borrow from their synthesizer line.

Ian

I don't understand why manufacturers separate their arranger keyboards from their workstations. We are simply talking about extended software features. All workstations could support arranger keyboard features. All it would require would be how to reassign button functions in arranger vs workstation modes. This aint rocket science. I would welcome a workstation I could switch into arranger mode when I needed it.

#402207 - 05/09/15 12:45 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: Nigel]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel

Ian

I don't understand why manufacturers separate their arranger keyboards from their workstations. We are simply talking about extended software features. All workstations could support arranger keyboard features. All it would require would be how to reassign button functions in arranger vs workstation modes. This aint rocket science. I would welcome a workstation I could switch into arranger mode when I needed it.

I agree with you... The TOTL arranger workstation should be a Synth workstation with styles on top of that... just add the style player and then allow players to buy style content sepperately form the allready excisting collections of styles...

That way workstation players dont feel like they are playing for contemporary styles they are never going to use...

Maybe that is what Roland will do to make both arrangers and workstations fun again... Ome TOTL bith workstation as well as arranger.. This way they could concentrate onproducing a single product instead of two..

#402208 - 05/09/15 12:48 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: Bachus]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Bachus
Originally Posted By: Nigel

Ian

I agree with you... The TOTL arranger workstation should be a Synth workstation with styles on top of that... just add the style player and then allow players to buy style content sepperately form the allready excisting collections of styles...

That way workstation players dont feel like they are playing for contemporary styles they are never going to use...

Maybe that is what Roland will do to make both arrangers and workstations fun again... Ome TOTL bith workstation as well as arranger.. This way they could concentrate onproducing a single product instead of two..

Exactly !!!! Really hope Yamaha, Korg and Roland read this thread and realize this is the future of workstations with style support. Whoever does this will be a winner. Workstation users will love the extended functionality and arranger users will love the workstation features ... everyone wins. It will increase sales in workstations that will more than cover not having separate arranger sales.

#402210 - 05/09/15 02:33 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
While all this will make sense, from the perspective of a few, like some of us here, still most of the users will prefer either synth/workstation or arranger instruments. The market is specialized and a very narrow slice will really benefit of the combination. It just so happens that we are in that slice...

Those that use an arranger will use just few of the deep synth editing, just as the reverse is true, many synth players will have no or limited use for auto-accompaniment features.

I think this "bring together" can be done in the realm of software instruments, once one of the major players will finally introduce a completely software based arranger, like Dan's vArranger.

In my view, that will be the next major milestone. A software arranger, with sounds included, with all the editing tools needed for both arranger specifics (styles, pads, performances) and synth specific (deep editing, grooves, arrpegios, step sequencers, all that.) And that could be indeed modular, so you will only get what you need/want.

All this controlled through the convenient touchscreen interfaces and a simple MIDI controller.

There are many steps that were done already by various, but until it comes from a big name I don't see it becoming a serious alternative. Not because of lack of quality or features, but simply because of the trust that people need to gain in this. Nowadays harware can very well provide the bases for such a development - we'll see how long it will take to see it in reality.

On the other hand, obviously it will not be impossible at all to add to an arranger keyboard some of the features found in synth workstation, like arrps, we all know even some cheap Yamaha keyboards have that already. Hence my conclusion - it is not a profitable/wise move to unify these two, from the manufacturer point of view.

Again, we are only a narrow slice of the market... It will take a brave move from anyone big who will do this, and probably will take an innovative spirit, not a rational market decission.

I am thinking Roland... It seems they wouldn't have much to loose. They could play this big card and why not, turn upside down all the market.

#402211 - 05/09/15 04:58 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: adimatis]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: adimatis
While all this will make sense, from the perspective of a few, like some of us here, still most of the users will prefer either synth/workstation or arranger instruments. The market is specialized and a very narrow slice will really benefit of the combination. It just so happens that we are in that slice...

Those that use an arranger will use just few of the deep synth editing, just as the reverse is true, many synth players will have no or limited use for auto-accompaniment features.

I think this "bring together" can be done in the realm of software instruments, once one of the major players will finally introduce a completely software based arranger, like Dan's vArranger.

In my view, that will be the next major milestone. A software arranger, with sounds included, with all the editing tools needed for both arranger specifics (styles, pads, performances) and synth specific (deep editing, grooves, arrpegios, step sequencers, all that.) And that could be indeed modular, so you will only get what you need/want.

All this controlled through the convenient touchscreen interfaces and a simple MIDI controller.

There are many steps that were done already by various, but until it comes from a big name I don't see it becoming a serious alternative. Not because of lack of quality or features, but simply because of the trust that people need to gain in this. Nowadays harware can very well provide the bases for such a development - we'll see how long it will take to see it in reality.

On the other hand, obviously it will not be impossible at all to add to an arranger keyboard some of the features found in synth workstation, like arrps, we all know even some cheap Yamaha keyboards have that already. Hence my conclusion - it is not a profitable/wise move to unify these two, from the manufacturer point of view.

Again, we are only a narrow slice of the market... It will take a brave move from anyone big who will do this, and probably will take an innovative spirit, not a rational market decission.

I am thinking Roland... It seems they wouldn't have much to loose. They could play this big card and why not, turn upside down all the market.

True,

But developing a single instrument is so much more cheaper then developing two or three different ones.... And thats something both musicians as well as developers will have something to win..

Stating that you dont want to pay for something you dontbuse will not hold true, if in the end the product with all those more features will be the cheaper one.

#402212 - 05/09/15 05:01 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I agree with Adimatis. The REAL truth is, NO ONE WANTS auto-accompaniment features EXCEPT ARRANGER PLAYERS (mostly 'home players') and a few well-heeled gadget freaks who view them more as a 'technology toy' than a serious musical instrument. While this assumption may not be true, we all know that 'perception is reality'. Manufacturers know and understand this and consequently aim their marketing directly at the 'home' market. It is only a very vocal handful of OMB's and singer/songwriters that can't seem to accept this and continue to clamor for more and more features that directly contradict the needs and wants of the average 'home player' who mainly just wants to hit the 'on' button and play; not staying up 'til the wee hours programming that 'special' killer synth patch. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) is their motto.

As Adimatis pointed out; combining all the best features of these instruments into some kind of SUPER 'SYNTHARRANGERWORKSTAION' might work for a handful of people but not enough to keep the lights on at Roland, Korg, Yamaha, and Ketron. In that scenario, Dan at VARRANGER, would be the big winner when the big 3 1/2 went out of business smile. JMO.

chas

#402213 - 05/09/15 05:39 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: adimatis]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: adimatis

The market is specialized and a very narrow slice will really benefit of the combination. It just so happens that we are in that slice...
Hence my conclusion - it is not a profitable/wise move to unify these two, from the manufacturer point of view.

Excellent observation.

We are seeing a tiny bit of exploration into Arranger/Synthesizer combination with some companies (mainly Yamaha and Casio) adding features like arps and real-time ADSR controls to their entry level instruments.

I had a Yamaha PSR-E443 for evaluation, and I was very impressed at the surprisingly rich tones I could get out of it with the two (assignable)real-time control knobs that let me filter and adjust the sound just like an analog synthesizer, including being able to get the filter to self oscillate.

I'd hoped to see these features (with more advanced control) on the mid-line and top-end Arrangers, but so far, only entry level for some reason...again, I think it's to test the market.

Baby steps, I suppose.

Ian

#402214 - 05/09/15 05:49 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

You also have to consider that the preferred range of sounds are different for arranger and synthesizer players and the degree of editing. Some arranger players would quickly complain about the confusing depth of editing options from filters and amplitude envelopes to the waveform level. The way instruments are sampled is also often adapted to certain tastes (I'm thinking of saxophones with a certain delayed vibrato, which sound like from a ballroom swing band, vs.dry pop saxophones). So they would have to throw both sound pools in, which means double storage capacity. Inevitably, both arranger players and synthesizer players would leave a big part of the facilities unused, so they would have to buy a sort of oversized package. It contradicts the idea of market segmentation into distinct customer groups with different needs, and, as the others already said, the group who need both features is too small to be relevant for sales.

#402215 - 05/09/15 05:59 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

I'd say it's because it's a PRO vs Home Organ Player scenario.......where real pro's don't want to be associated with an automatic arranger kb vs a synth workstation stigma....thats why you never see an arranger kb on pro music stage acts all over the world,........you only see Motif, Nord, Fantom, etc, etc,....keeping two separate divisions & more choices = more money for the manufacturers. It's like cigarettes & "light" cigarettes, or salad dressing & "lite" dressing its all in the mind......all they care about is making money. Putting the two together alienates the masses,..although it would be nice why buy one when you have buy two to do the jobs... cool2

Edited by Dnj (05/09/15 06:04 AM)

#402218 - 05/09/15 06:36 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
OK, all of those that do extensive editing raise your hands. C'mon, don't be bashful, raise your hands. WOW! That many, huh. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#402222 - 05/09/15 06:45 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

wave

#402225 - 05/09/15 06:59 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
cgiles Offline

.....and then there is the physical thing. What kind of platform would house this super combo board? The organ-leaning types would want 'waterfall' keys with an organ-type touch, while the pianist in the group would definitely want 'weighted' keybeds with a full '88, while the synth player would probably want non-weighted or semi-weighted keys. The OMB's and older players (often one and the same smile ) are concerned about weight; the home player or studio owner, much less so. 25, 49, 61, 73, 76, 88; hmmmm.

The point is, even if a board had every functional feature for everyone, the physical platform would still present insurmountable problems, all of which brings us back to exactly where we are RIGHT NOW; a different instrument for different players needs. Also, it stops a lot of 'overbuying'. If you think we only explore 10% of our instrument's potential now, what do think it would be on our new 'super board'. How soon after purchase would Cassp have his back on the market smile smile.

Again, JMO.

chas

#402226 - 05/09/15 07:11 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
ianmcnll Offline

wave

Me too...more editing for sound AND styles.

But, we may be in the minority on a Arranger-centric site.

Ian

#402227 - 05/09/15 07:13 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: cgiles]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
Unfortunatelly things are going the other way that discussed here. Our last TOTL arranger even came out without a sound editor. And it took over a year just to get some kind of sound editor which is not even close to lets say Motif sound editor. And most of the people even said hallelujah. Let's face it, majority of arranger players are home amateurs, and they'd rather let instrument play by it self then actually learning to play an instrument. For some reason it's easier to learn all of the combinations for two finger chords than taking the same time and learning actual chords. And "transpose" button came out of heaven .
Unfortunately I don't think it will get better, I think it will get worse. We will loose even more features. They will dumb us down even more and we will still like them and we will still buy new keyboards thinking this one will make us a better player.
There is no reason to blame these companies, it's all our fault. Just like with everything else in life.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#402229 - 05/09/15 07:35 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: mirza]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: mirza

Let's face it, majority of arranger players are home amateurs, and they'd rather let instrument play by it self then actually learning to play an instrument. For some reason it's easier to learn all of the combinations for two finger chords than taking the same time and learning actual chords. And "transpose" button came out of heaven .
Unfortunately I don't think it will get better, I think it will get worse. We will loose even more features. They will dumb us down even more and we will still like them and we will still buy new keyboards thinking this one will make us a better player.
There is no reason to blame these companies, it's all our fault. Just like with everything else in life.

Unfortunetly, much of this is true!

In my work as a clinician over the years, it was actually rare to find an arranger owner who knew how to edit styles, even the most basic approach...which is why I spent some of my clinic time showing how relatively easy it is to make your own.

Still, the majority of users will prefer to buy new styles (or try to get them free), and many trade up to a new instrument just to get a few new accompaniments...often styles they could have easily made themselves from the existing styles on their previous instrument.

Those using the instrument like several of our SZ'ers (playing pro on stage) are the minority...as you say, the arranger buyer is usually a home player, and, therefore, the instrument is designed to be easy to play, with effortless to obtain (and fairly impressive) results...very few will want to customize, and of those who do, the majority won't stay with it for long (and the hard core tweakers will buy a synth).

That's why I keep going to jam sessions; to keep up the playing skills that don't get used much on the arranger...it's easy to get lazy and let things slide.

However, the arranger (especially one as elaborate as my T4) is still a major tool for my needs...a veritable Swiss Army Knife, in my opinion.

Ian

#402232 - 05/09/15 08:28 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm quite happy with the current group of arrangers. I could easily use any of the top or middle line from any of the companies.
It comes down to features and ease of use. They all sound good.
I've always preferred Ketron drums. Korgs are good but can't really sound quite as good as the audio drums of course.
No problem with Roland drums, but their arrangers leave out some invaluable features such as simple break/fill. How can they not incorporate that, when it has been a feature of ALL other brands since their inception?
I do prefer everything built in: great harmonizer, text and lyrics display, large color touch screen, multitude of styles available and great sounds. I prefer joystick, but wheels are o.k. if they are properly located. User-assignable buttons or sliders are great. Ability to use a multi-switch foot pedal is essential.
Other people may have different priorities, but I'm thinking whatever those priorities may be, they are pretty much available these days.
They type music I play (and the vast majority of arranger players play) calls for great emulations of traditional instruments ranging from pianos to brass to woodwinds, organs, guitars, even vocal sounds, etc. Few of us are interested in creating or using synth-type exotic sounds, although there are a lot built in to modern arrangers. Other than auditioning them, I've never found a use for one in reality, because I don't play the type of music that calls for them. I think the market for a hybrid keyboard would be very limited, but then there may be a NEW market that could be created that would bring younger people to the fold.
Rarely a week goes by that I don't have a musician ask about my keyboard, remarking that they didn't know such technology even existed.
Sorry for rambling. Can't wait for the SD7 to arrive!
Maybe it will keep me alive a little longer! My boat is 16 years old, my Expedition is 8 years old, my golf clubs are several years old, crap even my young wife is getting older, but the TOOLS of my trade WILL be current and the best available to suit my needs!
smile

#402234 - 05/09/15 08:55 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Jez Offline

Loc: India
It`s surprising that the price has depreciated this fast. I heard live performances where this keyboard is used in both arranger mode and for solo tones in a band. Truly amazing rhythms and tones. Perhaps Roland should have put a touch screen OS instead of the current one on Bk-9.

And ofcourse, keyboard manufacturers want us to buy both(their WS and arrangers) but as mentioned earlier, its no rocket science but just a strategy they adopt to mint money. Things like budget, market segmentation, economies of scale, return on investment are all business concepts that prevents such crossovers. It`s cutting a lot of corners when business interferes too much with art.

If the manufacturers really stood for their taglines or vision, none of them would be in the business anymore smile

Having a single keyboard with features of both would actually help any of the manufacturers atleast till the time others start to do the same thing. It should be great for the players too to switch to different modes when they want too. For manufacturers it would be far more easier to expand and incorporate things via software rather than spend on hardware; which I believe will be the direction they will be taking.

Let`s hope Roland continues to come up with good arrangers like they have done in the past

Auron Music

#402239 - 05/09/15 10:16 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
cgiles Offline

Since we're always trying to bring 'young people' into the arranger market, we have to assume that most of us agree that it's and 'ol' folks' machine. But here's the thing. Most seniors haven't figured out their smartphones yet, despite their having been on the market for at least ten years (Boo is still using the last known flip phone smile ). And if you think that's bad, wait until we all switch over to the SmartWatch. Most seniors will have a nervous breakdown just trying to figure out what time it is smile. A few car manufacturers produced cars with automatic transmissions that could be manually shifted, but how popular are they and how many of the people that you know personally, have one. Not even the Swiss like the Swiss Army knife (only Boy Scouts.....and they grow out of it as soon as they mature).

But hey, maybe some visionary company (Technics, General Music, Silvertone (Sears)), will build the Super SynthArrangerWorkstation. Donny and DonM will buy one; Russ will buy one but probably won't open the box for a couple of years smile.

chas

#402240 - 05/09/15 10:37 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: DonM]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
I'm quite happy with the current group of arrangers. I could easily use any of the top or middle line from any of the companies.

That's pretty much it for me...my older Tyros4 will keep me going for many years and I don't see replacing it unless there are eventual hardware parts that wear out and are no longer available.

However, I can understand your interest in the SD-7, especially since you Have used Ketron in the past...having a new set of styles and sounds sometimes is refreshing..."a change is as good as a rest", so to speak.

I personally don't see the need for anything additional other than what my present TOTL arranger gives me...I'm still exploring and coming up with some new things...now it's stacking up to three of the Tyros4's synth and pad voices, changing their panning, filtering, and effects and using them in soundtracks for a buddy who is doing voice over CD's. Some of these combinations rival what we were getting in the studio using several midi'd synths, both analog and digital.

There's lots of life in the old beast yet.

Sadly, Don, there those who have purchased high end arrangers who will never fully appreciate the power and versatility of these instruments. Their loss, I suppose.

Ian

#402242 - 05/09/15 12:11 PM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Chas, as I said, I would have no interest or need for a synth-type arranger. I'm happy with the current stuff.
Happy with my house, wife, kids and boat, but that's not to say I wouldn't ever try to improve them.
Except my wife of course, who is perfect. smile

#402245 - 05/09/15 12:30 PM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: cgiles
A few car manufacturers produced cars with automatic transmissions that could be manually shifted, but how popular are they and how many of the people that you know personally, have one.
chas

ME !!! bounce
2003 BMW 325ci ragtop ... I use the 'manual' shift whenever I am on local roads. which is about 40% of the time ...
Cleaned it up yesterday, and been 'scootin' around most of the day ...

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but chas asked ... grin

#402246 - 05/09/15 12:38 PM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
cgiles Offline

That doesn't count. You don't know yourself personally smile smile.

chas

#402247 - 05/09/15 12:44 PM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: tony mads usa]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
A few car manufacturers produced cars with automatic transmissions that could be manually shifted, but how popular are they and how many of the people that you know personally, have one.
chas

ME !!! bounce
2003 BMW 325ci ragtop ... I use the 'manual' shift whenever I am on local roads. which is about 40% of the time ...
Cleaned it up yesterday, and been 'scootin' around most of the day ...

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but chas asked ... grin

I use the 4-speed autobox in my Honda Accord manually as well, especially in the winter whereas I can have the transmission start in 2nd gear on ice by selecting "2".

I also like shifting between D4 and D3 when I'm on curvy roads to utilize engine braking.

They wouldn't have put these positions on the selector quadrant if'n they didn't want people to use them...mmmm? wink

Of course, Tony, we arranger players are very progressive and adventurous, are we not?

Ian

#402248 - 05/09/15 12:44 PM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

Since we're always trying to bring 'young people' into the arranger market, we have to assume that most of us agree that it's and 'ol' folks' machine. But here's the thing. Most seniors haven't figured out their smartphones yet, despite their having been on the market for at least ten years (Boo is still using the last known flip phone smile ). And if you think that's bad, wait until we all switch over to the SmartWatch. Most seniors will have a nervous breakdown just trying to figure out what time it is smile. A few car manufacturers produced cars with automatic transmissions that could be manually shifted, but how popular are they and how many of the people that you know personally, have one. Not even the Swiss like the Swiss Army knife (only Boy Scouts.....and they grow out of it as soon as they mature).

But hey, maybe some visionary company (Technics, General Music, Silvertone (Sears)), will build the Super SynthArrangerWorkstation. Donny and DonM will buy one; Russ will buy one but probably won't open the box for a couple of years smile.

chas

Sit down with a MOXF its under €1000 and offers younger players so much more then an arranger... The arps in these workstations make up for the lack of styles, with pattern mode and audio loops, it offers as much or maybe even more fun at the same sound quallity of a tyros....

Same goes for Motif XF or Korg Kronos ( with Karma) i dont think you will ever make these younger people enthousiastic for arrangers, because their workstations allready come close to arrangers.

#402249 - 05/09/15 12:55 PM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus

Sit down with a MOXF its under €1000 and offers younger players so much more then an arranger... The arps in these workstations make up for the lack of styles, with pattern mode and audio loops, it offers as much or maybe even more fun at the same sound quallity of a tyros....

Same goes for Motif XF or Korg Kronos ( with Karma) i dont think you will ever make these younger people enthousiastic for arrangers, because their workstations allready come close to arrangers.

Arps work extremely well with Dance and Electronica and that's what younger players seem to gravitate towards...I doubt if many are interested in most of the genres found on an PA3X, Audya or a Tyros.

I thought Karma was pretty cool...very expressive and not as repetitive as the styles found in arrangers.

I wonder if they could develop it to suit what arranger players would want...i.e...more traditional type genres?

Ian

#402937 - 05/28/15 05:45 PM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
So far US retailers have not followed suit. If I were to buy this board from, say, Thomann in the UK or Germany, does anyone on the 'zone know what import duties would be? In other words what's the total cost to my front door?
(Thomann is quoting 1,259 Euro plus 30 shipping. That works out to about $1499 US.)
Thanks,
Ted--a prospective arranger arbitrageur

#402938 - 05/28/15 06:36 PM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

I guess you have to add import VAT to it. Importing from the US to Germany, this would be 19%. Duty is much less, the problem is import VAT...
Edit: Yes, the German price is 1499€, and for the US Thomann quotes 1259€, which is the price minus German VAT. So you will definitely have to pay additional US VAT when importing it.

Edited by rosetree (05/28/15 06:42 PM)

#415976 - 02/03/16 11:28 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

The Roland BK-9 has now been removed from Europe's largest online store, Thomann. It is marked as terminally out of stock.
As I know from a local dealer, it was already unavailable directly from Roland in December.
So I have been one of the last buyers in Germany (in December).

This is a summarized demo I've made with the BK-9, extremely spreading from classical piano and Baroque ensemble to Stevie Wonder funk (played live except the Bert Kaempfert sequence, done with its sequencer). I think it was a really good purchase for 1,298 euros, sounds of good quality and appealing 76-key shape and weight.

https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree/roland-bk-9-in-a-nutshell-demo-bits-from-barock-to-funk

#415980 - 02/03/16 01:24 PM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Bill Lewis Offline

Bring on the sales. I'm ready for another BK9. I'm working with a BLues Band and wanted to get the VR09 just for that but after thinking it over I'm better of getting another BK9. The Vr09 is better for live playing where the BK9 needs more pre-programming but with all the extra features and 76 keys for piano stuff I'm looking.
It does all I need for OMB and real band work.

#415982 - 02/03/16 02:12 PM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

I think the bk9 was so misinterpreted and passed by...

#415993 - 02/03/16 07:23 PM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

The Roland BK-9 has now been removed from Europe's largest online store, Thomann. It is marked as terminally out of stock.
As I know from a local dealer, it was already unavailable directly from Roland in December.
So I have been one of the last buyers in Germany (in December).

This is a summarized demo I've made with the BK-9, extremely spreading from classical piano and Baroque ensemble to Stevie Wonder funk (played live except the Bert Kaempfert sequence, done with its sequencer). I think it was a really good purchase for 1,298 euros, sounds of good quality and appealing 76-key shape and weight.

https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree/roland-bk-9-in-a-nutshell-demo-bits-from-barock-to-funk

I think its out and over for the bk-9 series as the last product from Roland europe...

We now need to see if the Roland EA7 will get a big 76 key pro brother...

#416007 - 02/04/16 06:50 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

I think the sound quality you can achieve on the BK-9 for music outside of the typical arranger genres, here Händel baroque music and classical piano music (Brahms here), is really excellent. The BK-9 SN-A pianos are on the level of good digital pianos, together with a really good keybed, and if you pick the right strings sound, there is one identical to the SRX 04 expansion, it is exceptional too.
Add a small SonicCell or XV 2020 module with two SRX boards to it, and you have a truly massive high-quality sound selection.

#416027 - 02/04/16 09:50 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

If you're interested, this is my playlist of the 7 demo videos I've made with the BK-9 (of which the above demo bits were composed).
The second one, Superstition, includes a tough exercise to move left and right hand very independently playing 2 different rhythmic funk patterns.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpW7b6MlANe49Dip1w_NoL8ySJte3evUN

Edited by rosetree (02/04/16 09:52 AM)

#416028 - 02/04/16 09:53 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

Thanx for sharing ....I enjoyed watching..

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online