SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#402142 - 05/08/15 07:26 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Don't forget that the BK-7m is a good seller. Its price has not dropped. So I think the BK-9 price drop is only a reaction to lacking demand for this model.
The BK-9 was developed (and I think also manufactured) in Italy by Roland Europe, and as we know, Roland Europe has been dissolved. We still don't know to what extent everything has been, or is being reinstalled in Asia. So an interruption in the arranger business was to be expected anyway. But regarding the success of the BK-7m, I'm not sure Roland will abandon the segment completely.

#402144 - 05/08/15 07:33 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I hope they don't abandon the segment entirely. I was surprised at the lack of interest in the BK-9...I thought it was pretty cool.

Ian

#402147 - 05/08/15 07:49 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I hope they don't abandon the segment entirely. I was surprised at the lack of interest in the BK-9...I thought it was pretty cool.

Ian

Low sales sent Roland in another direction as anyone can see plainly.....they should of followed thru with a lightweight technically updated successor to the G70 which had some real nice features& throngs of loyal players...ever since then its been downhill for their arranger lines... frown

#402158 - 05/08/15 08:57 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: TedS]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: TedS
Start up the rumor mill... I can think of at least two other explanations:
(A) We're seeing the caboose at the end of the train: Roland's new management is getting out of the arranger business, leaving the BK-9 an orphan with no further development planned. Think Technics, GEM, etc.
(B) The factory is letting them lower the MAP to clear out the distribution chain in advance of a new model.
IMO it's not a random development. We'll see...

The new Roland management is currently placing Roland back on top where innovation is important.....

For the young that want to toy with music, they have added the aira range, which is selling very very good

For the old time synth fans they created the JD-XA, which combines a real analog synth with digital top sounds..

They are trying to make instruments that are espescially fum to play, and are currently succeeding at that...

So whats up next from Roland, a new arranger? Or a new workstation? Or something different? Noboddy knows, but i am quite sure that whatever they bring next is created with the fun of the musician in mind..

I think that Roland will keep surprising us in the time to come, the new management seem to know what musicians want, they stopped selling more of the same, as that was what they did for the last few years..

If they decide to ever make a new totl arranger, it will be spectacular for sure...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#402177 - 05/08/15 01:33 PM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: vangelis]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: vangelis
Fabulous! how many user styles can you make? probably none?
That's were Korg is the best for the money overall.

I'm not sure about making user styles onboard, but - like BK-7m - if you make your user styles with software assistance (Roland converter or EMC software or similar), you can store a virtually unlimited number of user styles, because the BK-9 always calls up styles directly from a USB stick.

#402206 - 05/09/15 12:30 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ianmcnll]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I have a suspicion Roland is getting out of the Arranger Keyboard market, maybe for good...maybe not, but I feel it's the former.

I thought the BK-9 was already an extraordinary bargain...76 keys, nice action, terrific organ (with drawbar control) and very decent Leslie sim, and good strong basic sounds like acoustic piano, Rhodes, guitars, strings etc., not to mention the relatively large style library.

They certainly have the basics for an exceptionally good top-line arranger, especially if they borrow from their synthesizer line.

Ian

I don't understand why manufacturers separate their arranger keyboards from their workstations. We are simply talking about extended software features. All workstations could support arranger keyboard features. All it would require would be how to reassign button functions in arranger vs workstation modes. This aint rocket science. I would welcome a workstation I could switch into arranger mode when I needed it.

#402207 - 05/09/15 12:45 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: Nigel]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Nigel
I have a suspicion Roland is getting out of the Arranger Keyboard market, maybe for good...maybe not, but I feel it's the former.

I thought the BK-9 was already an extraordinary bargain...76 keys, nice action, terrific organ (with drawbar control) and very decent Leslie sim, and good strong basic sounds like acoustic piano, Rhodes, guitars, strings etc., not to mention the relatively large style library.

They certainly have the basics for an exceptionally good top-line arranger, especially if they borrow from their synthesizer line.

Ian

I don't understand why manufacturers separate their arranger keyboards from their workstations. We are simply talking about extended software features. All workstations could support arranger keyboard features. All it would require would be how to reassign button functions in arranger vs workstation modes. This aint rocket science. I would welcome a workstation I could switch into arranger mode when I needed it.

I agree with you... The TOTL arranger workstation should be a Synth workstation with styles on top of that... just add the style player and then allow players to buy style content sepperately form the allready excisting collections of styles...

That way workstation players dont feel like they are playing for contemporary styles they are never going to use...

Maybe that is what Roland will do to make both arrangers and workstations fun again... Ome TOTL bith workstation as well as arranger.. This way they could concentrate onproducing a single product instead of two..

#402208 - 05/09/15 12:48 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: Bachus]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Bachus
Originally Posted By: Nigel

Ian

I agree with you... The TOTL arranger workstation should be a Synth workstation with styles on top of that... just add the style player and then allow players to buy style content sepperately form the allready excisting collections of styles...

That way workstation players dont feel like they are playing for contemporary styles they are never going to use...

Maybe that is what Roland will do to make both arrangers and workstations fun again... Ome TOTL bith workstation as well as arranger.. This way they could concentrate onproducing a single product instead of two..

Exactly !!!! Really hope Yamaha, Korg and Roland read this thread and realize this is the future of workstations with style support. Whoever does this will be a winner. Workstation users will love the extended functionality and arranger users will love the workstation features ... everyone wins. It will increase sales in workstations that will more than cover not having separate arranger sales.

#402210 - 05/09/15 02:33 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: ]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
While all this will make sense, from the perspective of a few, like some of us here, still most of the users will prefer either synth/workstation or arranger instruments. The market is specialized and a very narrow slice will really benefit of the combination. It just so happens that we are in that slice...

Those that use an arranger will use just few of the deep synth editing, just as the reverse is true, many synth players will have no or limited use for auto-accompaniment features.

I think this "bring together" can be done in the realm of software instruments, once one of the major players will finally introduce a completely software based arranger, like Dan's vArranger.

In my view, that will be the next major milestone. A software arranger, with sounds included, with all the editing tools needed for both arranger specifics (styles, pads, performances) and synth specific (deep editing, grooves, arrpegios, step sequencers, all that.) And that could be indeed modular, so you will only get what you need/want.

All this controlled through the convenient touchscreen interfaces and a simple MIDI controller.

There are many steps that were done already by various, but until it comes from a big name I don't see it becoming a serious alternative. Not because of lack of quality or features, but simply because of the trust that people need to gain in this. Nowadays harware can very well provide the bases for such a development - we'll see how long it will take to see it in reality.

On the other hand, obviously it will not be impossible at all to add to an arranger keyboard some of the features found in synth workstation, like arrps, we all know even some cheap Yamaha keyboards have that already. Hence my conclusion - it is not a profitable/wise move to unify these two, from the manufacturer point of view.

Again, we are only a narrow slice of the market... It will take a brave move from anyone big who will do this, and probably will take an innovative spirit, not a rational market decission.

I am thinking Roland... It seems they wouldn't have much to loose. They could play this big card and why not, turn upside down all the market.

#402211 - 05/09/15 04:58 AM Re: Dramatic price drop of Roland BK-9 [Re: adimatis]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: adimatis
While all this will make sense, from the perspective of a few, like some of us here, still most of the users will prefer either synth/workstation or arranger instruments. The market is specialized and a very narrow slice will really benefit of the combination. It just so happens that we are in that slice...

Those that use an arranger will use just few of the deep synth editing, just as the reverse is true, many synth players will have no or limited use for auto-accompaniment features.

I think this "bring together" can be done in the realm of software instruments, once one of the major players will finally introduce a completely software based arranger, like Dan's vArranger.

In my view, that will be the next major milestone. A software arranger, with sounds included, with all the editing tools needed for both arranger specifics (styles, pads, performances) and synth specific (deep editing, grooves, arrpegios, step sequencers, all that.) And that could be indeed modular, so you will only get what you need/want.

All this controlled through the convenient touchscreen interfaces and a simple MIDI controller.

There are many steps that were done already by various, but until it comes from a big name I don't see it becoming a serious alternative. Not because of lack of quality or features, but simply because of the trust that people need to gain in this. Nowadays harware can very well provide the bases for such a development - we'll see how long it will take to see it in reality.

On the other hand, obviously it will not be impossible at all to add to an arranger keyboard some of the features found in synth workstation, like arrps, we all know even some cheap Yamaha keyboards have that already. Hence my conclusion - it is not a profitable/wise move to unify these two, from the manufacturer point of view.

Again, we are only a narrow slice of the market... It will take a brave move from anyone big who will do this, and probably will take an innovative spirit, not a rational market decission.

I am thinking Roland... It seems they wouldn't have much to loose. They could play this big card and why not, turn upside down all the market.

True,

But developing a single instrument is so much more cheaper then developing two or three different ones.... And thats something both musicians as well as developers will have something to win..

Stating that you dont want to pay for something you dontbuse will not hold true, if in the end the product with all those more features will be the cheaper one.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online