Topic Options
#40141 - 01/19/05 06:01 PM TAMMY: Inspired Variations
Khai Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
To: andrewhearne2003@yahoo.co.uk, nigelsp@synthzone.com
Subject: TAMMY: Inspired Variations
Cc: Bill (BEBOP) Forrest

Dear Andrew and Nigel,

Hi! As a follow-up to my previous proposal, I have carefully prepared the Tammy script (entitled "TAMMY: Inspired Variations", as included below) to start the TAMMY project rolling. You may change or adapt the script below to suit the design/format of your websites.

Please kindly set up a web page containing details of the Tammy project on TechnicsForAll, the Synth Zone, and any other relevant sites.

The first page will contain the Tammy script below. On the same page or subsequent page(s), spaces can be made available to record the details of participants' submissions in a table as follows:

Date of Submission:
Name of Contributor:
Name of Genre or Style:
Musical Equipment Used (optional):
Additional Comments (optional):
Contact Details (optional):

If possible, all of these can be automated through software such as JAVA, so that contributors can fill out their details and attached their submissions. A simple error checking should be included to ensure that each submission contains an attachment of Tammy arrangement.

I have included a MIDI file "Tammy.mid". You may want to allow visitor the option of clicking on the 16 bars of TAMMY and listen to the short MIDI file.

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards,
=========
KHAI-WEI
=========

TAMMY: Inspired Variations

We would like to make a potentially exciting proposal or project for everybody to collaborate in a more concerted way towards the goal of allowing our creative energy to aggregate on a set theme:

Contributors, irrespective of their skills and instruments, are invited to use only the first 16 bars of the song Tammy (#1 hit 1957 from the movies: "Tammy and the Bachelor") as the basis for their own arrangement(s) or variation(s) on their chosen style(s) or genre(s).

The lyrics for the first 16 bars are as follows:

I hear the cottonwoods whisp'rin' above
Tammy! Tammy! Tammy's in love!
The ole hootie owl hootie-hoo's to the dove
Tammy! Tammy! Tammy's in love!

The notes for the song melody in the first 16 bars are:

We would like to invite you to join in the fun and challenge, and to send your versions/arrangements of Tammy to:

songs@technicsforall.com

Please include for each distinct contribution:
Date of Submission:
Name of Contributor:
Name of Genre or Style:
Musical Equipment Used (optional):
Additional Comments (optional):
Contact Details (optional):

Contributions can be submitted in any common audio format and/or General MIDI format. There are no restrictions as to the number of contributions that a participant may submit.

Any styles, genres and instruments (including human voices) are allowed.

Visitors and participants are welcome to download the listed contributions. Enjoy them and get an idea of what can even be done with such a simple tune and begin to make your own contributes to the project. The experience will certainly sharpen your creativity and hone in your skills in musical arrangement(s) and variation(s).

Looking forward to savouring your clever renditions of Tammy!

[This message has been edited by Khai (edited 01-19-2005).]

#40142 - 01/19/05 06:06 PM Re: TAMMY: Inspired Variations
Khai Offline

Dear All,

The above should have contained a JPEG of the printed score of the 16-bar melody of TAMMY. It seems that the Synth Zone engine would not accept pictures.

Khai

#40143 - 01/19/05 09:17 PM Re: TAMMY: Inspired Variations
Khai Offline

Dear All,

As an incentive, if and when the website for the TAMMY project does get off the ground, I shall post three or more of my arrangements/variations onto the site as inaugural contributions that will also serve as examples for other participants. Of course, anyone is welcome to comment on my works, as I did yours. The very thought that this opportunity to review my music could indeed be your chance to pull me apart so hard that I am unable to put myself back together can also be another incentive for you to make the TAMMY project a reality.

You are welcome to guess now which Technics instrument is going to be the one used in producing my arrangements/variations. All will be revealed when the website is up. Then the rest is mostly up to you.

Let's hope that the TAMMY project can be one of the highlights for all of us who enjoy music making.

All we need at this foundational stage is someone who has the expertise to design and automate a website for the TAMMY project.

This website should be part of, or affiliated with, one central site that is already well-known to many people, such as TechnicsForAll, the Synth Zone, and any other relevant sites of considerable popularity and/or reputation.

The TAMMY project website can also be mirrored at one or more other sites to increase the size and diversity of its "clientele".

[This message has been edited by Khai (edited 01-19-2005).]

#40144 - 01/20/05 01:21 AM Re: TAMMY: Inspired Variations
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Trouble with waltzes is that there's a beat missing from every bar...
Ever tried playing a waltz to a 4 beat rhythm?

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 01-20-2005).]

#40145 - 01/20/05 08:32 PM Re: TAMMY: Inspired Variations
Khai Offline

Dear RMepstead,

It certainly can be done and is part of the fun and challenge of the TAMMY project. Conversely, a 4-beat rhythm can be converted to a 3-beat rhythm, or to a compound rhythm such as 6/8. There are also other rhythmic possibilities for a piece originally played in a 3/4 time.

You can practice rhythmic conversion or transformation with perennial tunes like "Moon River", "Silent Night" and "Morning Has Broken". If you prefer some Australian tunes, then try "Waltzing Matilda" and "I Still Call Australia Home".

Just as we do not have to stick to the same key and instrumentation for a piece of music, we can also take liberty with its timing, phrasing, syncopation, and even its time signature.

Khai

#40146 - 01/21/05 01:40 AM Re: TAMMY: Inspired Variations
RMepstead Offline

So where's this web site of yours Khai, where this is all happening...?

#40147 - 01/21/05 02:07 AM Re: TAMMY: Inspired Variations
Khai Offline

Dear RMepstead,

Thank you very much for your interest. Just like you, I am looking for a host to get the project off the ground and carry it to fruition. As I stated in my third posting in this thread:

All we need at this foundational stage is someone who has the expertise to design and automate a website for the TAMMY project.

This website should be part of, or affiliated with, one central site that is already well-known to many people, such as TechnicsForAll, the Synth Zone, and any other relevant sites of considerable popularity and/or reputation.

I have provided the concepts and the guidelines for implementing the project. And I hope that owner(s) of certain sites will bite the bullet and provide the space and tool for all of us to submit our contributions.

Can you help in any way through some suggestions, lobbies, actions and/or plans towards achieving the goal that will ultimately benefit many of us?

Khai

#40148 - 01/21/05 02:16 AM Re: TAMMY: Inspired Variations
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Khai:
Dear RMepstead,
Thank you very much for your interest. Just like you, I am looking for a host to get the project off the ground and carry it to fruition. As I stated in my third posting in this thread:
[/B]

YAWN ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz---

#40149 - 01/21/05 02:27 AM Re: TAMMY: Inspired Variations
Khai Offline

A reply so sobering that it is remarkable.

#40150 - 01/21/05 03:28 AM Re: TAMMY: Inspired Variations
RMepstead Offline

So let me get this right...
You've had an idea and you want someone else to do all the work and cover the cost, and that without any certainty that it is a marketable proposition or of interest to anyone else...
Amazing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online