SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#401295 - 04/11/15 10:33 AM Re: TRUMPET SOLOIST VIBRATO [Re: kitkat]
designserve Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
Hi Mark,

With easy edit, try adding the TREMOLO digital effect, see what you reckon. I think we're hearing a tremolo effect in the Soloist as much as we're hearing vibrato. I don't know how to add a delayed tremolo other than in the easy edit maybe Bill does.

It also sounds good if you add some pitch bend to the attack. I went to PITCH and on page 2 I've set ATK to 70 PEAK to -3 and DKY1 to 44 but it still needs more adjusting. I'm tempted to add a little pitch variation over a longer period but don't have time to try it out right now.

Regards,
Mike
https://wsa1.technicskeyboards.com/
KN7000 KN6500 KN6000 KN5000 KN3000 KN2600 KN2000 KN1000 KN901 KN800 P50 WSA1 AX7 GA3 PR804 Liverpool Tyros 3

#401396 - 04/15/15 08:26 AM Re: TRUMPET SOLOIST VIBRATO [Re: kitkat]
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
Mike,

Here is one for you. Say you are in the key of C. Press the C key and the vibrato in Trumpet Soloist sounds like a good vibrato. Press the Db key and the vibrato sounds very slow. This is a good test. Now, press the Transpose button once to put you in the key of Db. Press the C key that sounded good in the key of C that is now a Db and it becomes the slow vibrato that was originally in Db in the key of C. One would think that the vibrato would be the same in the C key. I had assumed that whatever was assigned to each key in the keyboard remained the same regardless of changing the pitch of the key. The bad sounding vibrato follows right up the line with each transposition.

Mark

#401412 - 04/15/15 11:01 AM Re: TRUMPET SOLOIST VIBRATO [Re: kitkat]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Mark,
Just returned home and saw your email and this post referring to the Trumpet Soloist Vibrato....

I cannot reproduce the 'problem' to which you refer !! I've listened to the Trumpet Soloist sound with no Transpose, and the note C and Db sound essentially the same as far as the vibrato is concerned....
I tried transposing to Db and still cannot hear any difference in the vibrato, when pressing the 'C' and 'Db' note keys....

I wonder if Mike's KN7000 produces the effect you are hearing??

#401424 - 04/15/15 02:15 PM Re: TRUMPET SOLOIST VIBRATO [Re: kitkat]
kitkat Offline

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your post. What you said is a real surprise. Maybe the company corrected this on later models and I have an earlier model. Do you have ANY notes in Trumpet Soloist that has a slow vibrato?

Mark

#401427 - 04/15/15 02:38 PM Re: TRUMPET SOLOIST VIBRATO [Re: kitkat]
designserve Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
Hi Both,

Yes I hear the same as KitKat and the same again at Bb to B. I had noticed this before and I assume it is just the 'stretching' of the sample (try it an octave lower Bill). The KN7000 has very little memory and I would think that the technology of the time only allowed for speeding up and slowing down the sample a few places over the range in order to get the variation in pitch. C to Dd is a pretty good place to have a break in the sample as is Bb to B. It would be extremely annoying to most players if the break was at B to C or E to F.

This would only exhibit in an instrument that was recorded with vibrato rather than one where an electronic vibrato effect was applied.

This particular trumpet, I would say, would have been very challenging to program at the time with such little memory to work with.

Regards,
Mike
https://wsa1.technicskeyboards.com/
KN7000 KN6500 KN6000 KN5000 KN3000 KN2600 KN2000 KN1000 KN901 KN800 P50 WSA1 AX7 GA3 PR804 Liverpool Tyros 3

#401430 - 04/15/15 02:58 PM Re: TRUMPET SOLOIST VIBRATO [Re: kitkat]
kitkat Offline

Bill,

Going up the scale and starting with G above middle C for a reasonable low note for Trumpet Soloist, is slow. Ab is slow, A is just slightly faster, Bb sounds OK, B is OK, C is OK, Db is very slow, D is slow, Eb is a bit faster, E is slightly slower than Eb, F is slightly faster than E, F# is a bit faster than F, G through Bb are on the slow side but acceptable, B is very slow above the good lower B, C above the good lower C is slow. Most of the notes following the higher C are slow but are acceptable.

I will be much interested in yours and others if these notes are like mine in Trumpet Soloist.

Mark

#401431 - 04/15/15 03:01 PM Re: TRUMPET SOLOIST VIBRATO [Re: kitkat]
kitkat Offline

Hi Mike,

I posted the above before I read your post. Thanks

Mark

#401435 - 04/15/15 07:44 PM Re: TRUMPET SOLOIST VIBRATO [Re: kitkat]
kitkat Offline

ONE MORE THING --

It is nice to know that my post of Trumpet Soloist has shown interest. I think the problem with this variable vibrato on certain notes lies with the poor design of VIBRATO DEPTH in EASY EDIT. I say this because several months ago I wanted a very dramatic and fiery violin sound with a fast wide sounding vibrato. As you probably know, the vibrato speed in EASY EDIT does not work unless you at least use one number of VIBRATO DEPTH. To make a long story short, I got the perfect violin sound I wanted and saved it as a sound. I later tried to use it and I was very surprised that it sounded terrible. On certain notes, the vibrato practically came to a stop. Yet, in the EASY EDIT, it came across perfectly. Using Bill's method of touch sensitivity that he graciously posted might be different. I haven't had time to check that out with the violin sound I mentioned. Listening to Trumpet Soloist, I hear a lot of VIBRATO DEPTH in it. Guys, I think it is a lost cause to try and get this sound even across all notes.

Best regards,

Mark

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online