SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#401768 - 04/25/15 11:13 AM QUESTION ABOUT THE EW01--EW04 EXPANSION BOARDS
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
Can these sounds be saved in SOUND MEMORY and if so, will the sounds be in the keyboard if the expansion boards are removed? If this is true, people who have the expansion boards could send the sounds to those that don't have them.

Mark

#401803 - 04/26/15 05:10 AM Re: QUESTION ABOUT THE EW01--EW04 EXPANSION BOARDS [Re: kitkat]
Bert Aarts Offline

Loc: Breda, The Netherlands
The sounds of the expensionboards can be downloaded from the www.technicskeyboards.com site, thanks to Mike.

#401807 - 04/26/15 05:53 AM Re: QUESTION ABOUT THE EW01--EW04 EXPANSION BOARDS [Re: Bert Aarts]
designserve Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
Hi Guys,

And thanks Bert. I saw the message yesterday on my phone but couldn't respond because my son and I were having a rare treat, we went to the theatre to see Return to the Forbidden Planet. Absolutely brilliant!

The answer is actually yes and no laugh

Boards 1 and 2 pre-date the KN7000 and as far as we can tell the KN7000, KN2600 and KN2400 lreadt have the Tones that are on these boards. Tones are the base constituents that Sounds (instruments) are built with. Each Sound is built with up to four Tomes. So, the Sounds from these two boards appear to be exactly the same when saved to Sound Memory.

Here's a link to board 1:

http://technicskn7000.com/about/expand-your-options/technics-ew01nx-free-downloads/

Boards 3 and 4 come after the release of KN7000 and they contain Tones that aren't on the keyboard. We don't know whether they are on KN2600 and KN2400 yet (can some owners help us?).

However, most of the Sounds on the latter boards are primarily using the Tones that are built-in to KN7000, so most of them sound exactly the same. A few Sounds don't work very well but most of them are, to my ears, the same as the original.

However, I have tinnitus from playing too loud on stage over the years, so make your own mind up lol.

One of my projects is to "re-tone" the Sounds on boards 3 and 4 so that we don't have these anomalies. To do that, we'll replace any missing Tones with ones that are already on the keyboard. In most cases this will give us virtually identical Sounds.

For example, let's say a Sound uses three Tones as follows (imaginary for the example):

Trumpet 1
NV Trumpet 2
Funny Synth

Let's say that 'Funny Synth' is a Tone that only exists on the board.

Then when you save it to Memory, the KN7000 will either skip Funny Synth or it will find the closest match that it has (pretty clever stuff that is).

If it skips Funny Synth, our task in the project is to find a Tone that comes close to Funny Synth, edit it a bit if necessary and add it to the Sound.

Beyond that, I'll be standardising the contents of the TM files on my site (each contains 40 Sounds that Load into Memory) because there's another project on the go to create a PC program that works with Technics Instruments.

One of the things that is planned for the program requires us (you?) to use standardised versions of TM files, so that the program can consistently select Sounds from the 'Standard' TM files. The result will be that you will be able to choose from about 1000 additional Sounds and work with Technics-compatible sequences at your PC. Amongst other things.

In order to progress this I'll be looking for owners of boards 3 and 4 who are willing to take a lot of photos of their KN7000 Sound Edit screens for me. Then I'll have to type out all the data, relate the Sounds and Tones to new program numbers in the standardised files, apply the Tones and re-edit them... So it won't happen overnight smile I spend a lot of time working with Microsoft Excel lately!

This is a small part of a development of the Falcosoft Midiplayer, tailored for Technics (it already supports NX Sound).

Well, more detail than you needed probably but hopefully it helps explain a few things.

Best wishes,
Mike
https://wsa1.technicskeyboards.com/
KN7000 KN6500 KN6000 KN5000 KN3000 KN2600 KN2000 KN1000 KN901 KN800 P50 WSA1 AX7 GA3 PR804 Liverpool Tyros 3

#401808 - 04/26/15 05:54 AM Re: QUESTION ABOUT THE EW01--EW04 EXPANSION BOARDS [Re: designserve]
designserve Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
PS the Sounds also work in later PR Digital Ensembles (in which you can't fit the boards).

The most important component of the Standardised TM files will actually be newly edited Drum Kits, the Sounds will be of slightly less significance. The Drum Kits will give us much better capabilities to Convert Styles from other keyboards.

Edited by designserve (04/26/15 05:57 AM)
https://wsa1.technicskeyboards.com/
KN7000 KN6500 KN6000 KN5000 KN3000 KN2600 KN2000 KN1000 KN901 KN800 P50 WSA1 AX7 GA3 PR804 Liverpool Tyros 3

#401810 - 04/26/15 08:36 AM Re: QUESTION ABOUT THE EW01--EW04 EXPANSION BOARDS [Re: kitkat]
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
WOW! Very interesting, Mike. Over the years, I have considered the KN7000 to the point of almost being faultless but I have always wished there were more choices for better sounding strings and trumpets, (I have posted about both) trombones and saxophones. I do think the Soloist Saxophone is very realist as a soloist instrument. Most of the others work well only in chord harmony. The distorted sax is good. Good trombone sounds are a problem for me to use. I can get a better trombone sound by using Open French Horn, going into SOUND EDIT and using EASY EDIT and make changes. Thanks for all you said. I must say it is a bit over my head. (lol)

Mark

#402583 - 05/19/15 06:25 PM Re: QUESTION ABOUT THE EW01--EW04 EXPANSION BOARDS [Re: kitkat]
jd5live Offline

Loc: Bilston , West Midlands,Englan...
Mark, you think that is complex,Mike and I were exchanging files and took some time to find the when I saved boards 3 and 4 I got perfect sounds from a saved tone memory.it was not untill we checked with Mike's KN7 which had only the 2 boards we found out that some sounds had a difference.If I did a tone edit I got all the tones on my display,as I have all 4 boards fitted so the KN7 looked at them as well as the internal memory,it was only when the files were tried in a KN7 with only a few of the boards fitted that the difference came to light. I can tell you a lot of head scratching took place. before we saw the light.
but try the sounds on the site and see what you think and have FUN.!!!
Regards John.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online