SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#400741 - 03/21/15 05:14 PM Wireless MIDI on the Tyros 5!
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
(also posted on PSR Tutorial forum).

Hi - I have made Wireless (bluetooth) MIDI work on the Tyros5, using the
mi.1 connect MIDI device. I can write more sometime about the details, once
I have done more testing and experiments.
The device is at:
http://www.quicco.co.jp/archives/shop_menu/wireless-midi-interface-mi-1-2

Amazon sells it in the USA.

My goal was to have my iPad, using unrealBook, control my Tyros by calling up Registrations for me when I load a song (PDF file) on the iPad. There are separate notes about how to control Registrations on a Tyros 5 with unrealBook and other apps.

Anyway, I took a chance and bought the mi.1 and with a bit of settings work (on
the iPad and on the Tyros, I got it working! I was able to play iPad music apps from the Tyros5 keyboard, and also able to send Registration change MIDI data from the iPad to the Tyros5 - all wirelessly.

As I use it more and really test it out, I can write more ...
Jim

#400745 - 03/21/15 06:48 PM Re: Wireless MIDI on the Tyros 5! [Re: jimlaing]
KORG80 Offline

Jim, may I be the first to crown you the iPad master. To be able to have a lyric file set up the registration setting for that song on the keyboard is truly remarkable. Keep up your experimentation you are making important discoveries.

God Bless,
Don

#400753 - 03/22/15 02:33 AM Re: Wireless MIDI on the Tyros 5! [Re: KORG80]
Bachus Offline

For most applications wireless midi is a bad idea... To much interference and unstabillity...

I would not use it outside my homestudio.. And not even there, as everything is connected with good old wires inthere as everything except my ipad never changes place inthere..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#400755 - 03/22/15 06:16 AM Re: Wireless MIDI on the Tyros 5! [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus
For most applications wireless midi is a bad idea... To much interference and unstabillity...

I would not use it outside my homestudio.. And not even there, as everything is connected with good old wires inthere as everything except my ipad never changes place inthere..

I agree wireless is much too risky in a live performance situation.....

#400758 - 03/22/15 07:01 AM Re: Wireless MIDI on the Tyros 5! [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

Did you just say we agree?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#400760 - 03/22/15 07:09 AM Re: Wireless MIDI on the Tyros 5! [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

Did you just say we agree?

once in a blue moon I will admit I agree cool2
I've gone the wireless route years ago to only end up in total failure...... once on stage I started to hear during a song a dispatcher from a Taxi Serice giving out calls that came thru my PA system & the audience heard it all surprised !!
Hard Wire for me ALWAYSS!!!! keys

#400766 - 03/22/15 11:15 AM Re: Wireless MIDI on the Tyros 5! [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I've never been wireless, but a few years back I was playing a gig and had taxi cab calls coming through my PA system I have no idea where they came from ...
Playing in some of the 'wedding factory' catering halls in the NY area, I've seen people using wireless mics being interfered with from wireless mics in other rooms ...

#400780 - 03/23/15 05:21 AM Re: Wireless MIDI on the Tyros 5! [Re: jimlaing]
jimlaing Offline

HI ... thanks for the warnings etc., I do understand. Since I'm only using the Wireless MIDI to call up Registrations, the worse that can happen (if it fails) is that I have to load the Registration the old way ("by hand"). I'm willing to take that small risk.

I'll report back here on how it goes, after I use it for a few gigs. Since the iPad and the BluetoothMIDI receiver are about 3' (~one meter) away from each other, distance and signal strength should not be a problem. I do understand that wireless is riskier, and interference is possible, but I'm thinking this is a "low-risk" use of wireless MIDI here ...

I have used wireless (WIFI-based) to have my iPad "talk" to up to 3 other iPads (as reported in a recent thread), at gigs many times, and it's worked great so far. The band members all understand that it *could* fail, and they know what to do if it does ...

Wires are definitely more secure and "sure" but I'm experimenting with wireless to see if it's viable for this use ...

Thanks!
-Jim

#400800 - 03/24/15 04:54 AM Re: Wireless MIDI on the Tyros 5! [Re: jimlaing]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I've been using https://www.midijet.com/ to have my Roland keytar controll my Tyros 4 and now 5, for about 3 years, from more than 100 feet away and never had an issue

#500329 - 08/19/20 07:07 PM Re: Wireless MIDI on the Tyros 5! [Re: jimlaing]
jimlaing Offline

This was a while ago - but I was looking for something else and came across this old thread I'd started.

I can report that I've been using wireless MIDI to recall Registrations automatically on Genos (and Tyros) with no problems for a number of years now. It has saved me a ton of time at gigs - I load a song on the iPad, and (via MIDI commands I have put in), it instantly recalls the Registration on my keyboard, so I'm ready to play. Have not had a glitch at all, and have been doing this for 5 or more years now . . .

-Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online