SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#400518 - 03/13/15 12:35 PM Donny, Just saw Whiplash!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Man, what a bunch of memories! I went to California in the early 60's (1962)and was around the core Bebop people of the time.

Cutting sessions were daily events. I was belittled daily.Items were thrown. You either "cut it" or got the hell out of the way.

A lot of the giants of the field were heavy drug users, and that didn't help.

They commanded attention and used rude and viscous means to get it.

Ray Brown was the exception. e was a gentle soul, who told me to listen to, but never associate with the folks who played at places like Shelly's Mann Hole. That included the top guys in the business; all not even making enough to live on. What I saw were red-eyed, bitter older men who were miserable.

In front of a group of other musicians, Herb Ellis asked me, "What are you doing, boy?". When I told him I was practicing
(actually, getting ready to back Linda Rhonstead live), he said, "what the Hell for, you little piece of C***."

Even though we became good friends until he passed,he and other established players made youngsters' lives living hell.

You paid your dues. Then, you starved to death.

What a sad,deliciously frustrating life.

Whiplash was a sobering reminder of this lifestyle. The end scenes were close approximations of the famous Buddy Rich performance of Caravan mentioned so often in BeBop history.

WOW!

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (03/13/15 12:41 PM)

#400521 - 03/13/15 01:02 PM Re: Donny, Just saw Whiplash! [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

So glad you enjoyed it Russ......I agree WOW!!!! what a great movie with a Big message!! It should have won movie of the years NOT "Birdman" which was terrible.

Edited by Dnj (03/13/15 01:02 PM)

#400536 - 03/14/15 07:31 AM Re: Donny, Just saw Whiplash! [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Waiting for it on my Netflix list Great post Russ. It is sad how many musicians with great talent just wasted away.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online