I started a lot of topics on this forum lately about new things in the world of computers in the world of musical instruments. And i am a hardline believer that if electronic products stop being innovative, they will eventually dissapear. The genre in my opinion has grown stale in recent years, tough i can see Yamaha trying to evolve. Slowly but its there. The ensemble voices on T5 are just so much incredible fun and made me rethink how i play many many songs.

Its clear to me that they need to addapt slowly to pull in new users, while keeping current users atleast happy with the product. I think thats also the direction Yamaha is choosing.

Now dont get me wrong, i am actually very very happy with my T5 and would not change it for anything on the arranger market but an upgraded T6. I enjoy the ease of use and the playabillity of the instrument very much. I think many workstations could learn a lot from T5..

However its also sad, that to make the T5 that easy and intuitive, they removed much of the edditing that could easilly be under the hood of such a great instrument..

So here my post, its a bit long, and i am sure many of these features will not be on your list, but keep in mind they are on other peoples lists... non of the requested features is new, they are available in either other instruments or in the professional Music computing..

Originally Posted By: Bachus on PSR Tutorial T5 forums

In general i am in love with my T5, and i spend much more time with her then with my wife, its almost perfect, yet still it leaves much to wish for.. So what direction do you think/wish for the instrument to take when some time next year we will see a T6..

In general i think its very important that new features in Tyros are easy to understand and to use, so that everyone can use them out of the box.. However i personally would prefer more depth under the hood, so advanced players can tweak and finetune the stuff.

In general the Tyros model requires a huge hardware(internal processor and memmory upgrade) to bring it back on par with modern day technollogy. This should not be to expensive as processor power and memmory as well as harddisk prices have never been as low as they are now... So keep in mind that for all those wishes, this one requirement probably affects them all...

1) Multi touchscreen, atleast the size of the current angle adjust part, so the screen with all the black space around it. And preferable, bigger, like 12" or 13". touchscreens only work well, if the interface elements are big enough. Korg and Wersi OaS for example have to many small elements on the screen. However the new Wersi OAX shows how a big touchscreen can really work well in a live environment...

2) more realtime controll elements, like a ribbon controller, and a XY pad on the touchscreen. Or even better a leap motion controller, which is an advanced version of the Roland Dbeam. Add to that 8 limitless knobs for real time controll of sounds, effects and parameters.

3) support for the FC3 pedal, which is a more natural damper pedal, and implementation of this in the piano and other sounds.

4) better piano sounds, larger and more samples, and some SA2 technollogy to make them ultra realistic, like simulating the soundbed and such. the piano room feature of the CVP609

5) more organs for the organ world. With real drawbars and not just presets. Make the whole feature expandable by expansions

6) more instruments accesible by the ensemble feature... Also allow expansions to add more instruments to this, i would love to be able to use some synth sounds or pads in the ensemble feaure, creating modern and organic synth sounds.

7) an orchestral feature that allows you to play a bigger orchestra, much as in more advanced kontakt libraries. I.e. There would be 7 violins, 3 cellos etc etc, with a maximum of 8 notes supported spread over all the instruments..

a synth world feature, with virtuall simulations of some of the most remarkable synths of the past , VL1, DX7, AN, but also non Yamaha synths like the mini moog arp 2600 etc etc, expandable by expansions

9) more effects usable at the same time with the option to chain several effects to a sound. also an option to add more and new effects to the ️library trough expansions..

10) kill the Yem, and make all package management as well as sound edditing available locally on the Tyros. With new and advanced hardware and a bigger touchscreen this should be easilly possible. So advanced edditing of styles,sounds, sequences and effects available on the instrument itselves.

11) a chord sequencer, allowing you to realtime record some of the chords you play, and then loop thise chords with the arranger, allowing you to play mellody with both your hands, or freeing up the left hand for extensive controll of your sound... ( i allways keep wondering why this is not on the Tyros series, its so usefull in almost any situation)

12) a new modern sequencer allowing clip or scene selection, much like the Yamaha mobile sequencer or ableton live, with audio and midi support and advanced recording and edditing features, all trough the touchscreen.

13) round robbin support, which is a feature used by high quallity drum sets on DAWs to make the drums sound more alive. Instead of using the same drum sample every time, they choose randomly from a set of several samples that all sound just a little different. This will take the drums of T5 to the next level. I would also love to see some SA2 drum sets, where the drums actually influence eachother, much like the soundbed of a grandpiano..

14) soundcontroll feature, much like in contact where with every sound or performance you choose, there are 8 prefered parameters set to the 8 limitless knobs requested in section 2) of this post. Allowing you to change your sound in realtime. All major sample programs like Kontakt or even mainstage currently work in this way, its awesome and easy, and challenges players to play around with their sound.

15) advanced styles, allowing for 8 mains 4 intro/ending/fill with a maximum of 16 tracks... Also with a new style type that varies depending on how you paly, i.e. If i play hard or soft, many or few notes, the style slightly changes in the background...

16) Karma is a great tool available on Korg instruments and Yamaha Motif series , an option to replace style tracks with Karma tracks and controlling those karma tracks (scenes)

17) more pads, i would love to see more pads, preferably 8

18) the arpeggiator from the Motif range, with all the arps

19) an 88 key weighted version of the Tyros

20) a hugely improved vocalist feature..

21) a tyros build from light metal parts instead of plastic, maybe with beautifull wooden side panels... In different colors, i just love how the wersi instruments look in black or white.

22) 8 part support ( currently we have 1 lefthand part and 3 righthand parts) and the option to assign them freely to both the local keyboard as wel as externally connected keyboard and/or midi pedals. Actually allowing people to easilly turn the Tyros in an organ if they wanted so. Or just adding all

23) ensemble voices should only cover a single part and it should be possible to add ensemble or the orchestral sounds from 7) to a single part and not requiring all 4 parts as is currently.

24) full daw support software that runs on both pc or mac, like on the motif, either allowing the daw to see the Tyros as a VST, or the tyros to controll the DaW or the VSTs like on the new akai advance keyboards. As if they where native, also allowing tyros tracks to route trough the daw and VST effects. This would require a high speed audio connection for which they could use a gigabit ethernet port directly conencted to the pc's network interface. .. Immagine using those VSTs and efefcts as if they where part of your Tyros

25) support of INS files, which would allow you to choose the voices of a remotely connected module as if they where local tyros voices.

------

Wow, i am actually stunned by how long my list got considering the fact how happy i allready am with the T5... But then there should allways be something to wish for. And most remarkable part of this list, is that all these things allready excist somewhere on other instrumenst or in software...

Now i am wondeing what anyone could add to this list... What are your wishes/hopes for the future of Tyros?

Link to this post

http://keyszone.boards.net