SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#400025 - 02/27/15 11:25 AM Re: My arranger evolution [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
With the exception of the Suitcase that UD got and an Electone organ I gave a former partner, a Piaa string maching and a Micro Korg from the 80's I sold to the Old Synth Guy, every keyboard I ever owned is still in my warehouse. I stopped counting at 40, but found Hohner, DX-7, several Whirlitzers, an M, an M-3, an M100, a C-3, a Nord C-1, 7 misc synths and lots more.

And stringed instruments...back up to over 300.

Looks like a pop music museum around here.

R.

Edited by captain Russ (02/27/15 11:27 AM)

#400026 - 02/27/15 11:41 AM Re: My arranger evolution [Re: ianmcnll]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Whoops...I actually forgot a few...

Silvertone chord organ.

Yamaha Electone HS-8 digital organ

Yamaha PSR-70

Roland E-70 Arranger, which I bought while in Newfoundland, and sold to get the KR-650.

And two that I still have, and use, here at the apartment and in the studio:

Yamaha CS-01 analog synthesizer

Yamaha TQ-5 Tone Generator.

Plus I have my adopted Mum's extremely old Ruggeri violin (superb condition, with original case and bow), which I never learned to play.

I have to say, I'm enjoying seeing these lists of gear...some pretty cool instruments, especially 124's Watkins Telstar (and performance)...did you play the song Telstar on it as well?

Ian

Yep, I think everyone and his dog would've been knocking out that old Tornados hit back then:). That little Watkins organ was a dandy, though. It had percussion on it, not to the degree of Hammond of course, but nevertheless it set it above the Vox Continentals and Farfisa Duos that were the main keyboards of choice in the UK in those glorious times. In fact, I don't think many Telstars were made. I never saw another one 'on the road'.

Watkins were only a small manufacturer, but they made amps and speaker cabinets as well under the WEM (Watkins Electric Music) brand name. Pretty well regarded stuff in general.

BTW, Ian. Did you spot the to-be rock legend in the opening dialogue in that movie clip? Steve Marriott of the Small Faces. We were talking about his putting a group together and he asked if I'd be interested in joining. Nah, says I. I'm doing okay with my band now.

Oh, well. smile

Edited by 124 (02/27/15 11:42 AM)

#400027 - 02/27/15 11:48 AM Re: My arranger evolution [Re: DonM]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
If I listed stringed instruments...it would go back 50+ years.

Fender
Gibson
Gretch
Martin
Flatiron

Owned a Saga music franchise back in the late 60's.

Taylor(owned part of a franchise in the early years) still have or have owned about a dozen or so Taylor guitars with my son.

Several Chinese, Japanese, Asian instruments

Handbuilt LaPlant Mandolin. Handbuilt Kennedy guitar.

Since I'm a real newbie to keyboards:

Roland digital piano..1990?
Casio Privia...2003?
Casio keyboards that went to kids and grandkids over the years.

Yamaha E423
Yamaha S710
Yamaha S950
Tyros 4
My kids/brother are keyboardists, I'm just learning.

PA Systems

Peavey
Kustom
Yorkville
Mackie
Yamaha
Fender
JBL
HK
Bose
EV

Mostly something line array now.

Microphones.

Almost every brand. Rode and Sennheiser my main brand now. Like others, gave away lots of mikes to the church.

Edited by guitpic1 (02/27/15 11:53 AM)

#400172 - 03/04/15 08:07 AM Re: My arranger evolution [Re: DonM]
DannyUK Offline

I've owned quite a few boards in my time but this has slowed right down within the last 10 years. I'll try to remember them all though and in the order I got them.

So from 1987 from when I purchased my first keyboard as follows:

Yamaha PSS-790
Yamaha PSR-410
Yamaha PSR-520
Yamaha PSR-620
Yamaha PSR-8000 (first experience of a TOTL)
GEM WX2se
GEM WK6
Korg i30
Yamaha DJX (as a side keyboard to experiment with but sold it on fairly quickly)
Solton X1
Korg PA60
Korg PA80HD
Korg PA1X
Yamaha Tyros3
GEM WK8 Megastation (in exchange for the PA1X)

And now the three that I currently own and have no real intentions of moving away from:
Yamaha Tyros4
Yamaha PSR-S950
Korg PA900

I've had fun with every keyboard I've owned. I have been surprised with some of them for either not being as good as I anticipated or for being better than I expected.

Regret not owning any of the Technics boards and for all their initial amazing bell's & whistles, I shouldn't have bought the WK6 & the Solton X1 boards as they caused me a few problems.

Worst purchase has been the GEM-WK6, best purchase has been the Korg PA900 as I think it's the most beautiful keyboard I've owned to date although the Tyros 4 is pretty amazing too.

I can't see myself changing again really for many years now, boards are really that good that there isn't a need to, not for sounds & styles anyway, the database now is so huge that you cannot go wrong especially on the Yamaha brands.

However, the only *possible* next purchase I may consider would be upgrading the current Yamaha models to the S950's replacement (if one should ever exist) because since moving home, room has become an issue and the T4 is taking more room than I need it to. The replacement though would depend on many things as the minimum requirement for it would have to be an exact replica of the T4 in portable form (including all sounds, styles and features), any less than that then I'll of already of forgotten about it!!!

But going through all the keyboards over the years has been really fun and a great experience.

Take care all,
Danny.

Edited by DannyUK (03/04/15 08:31 AM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online