SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#396984 - 12/10/14 05:06 PM How many Christmas songs....
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
At a typical Christmas party, I perform 12 to 18 Christmas songs, which most of the time, is more than enough. Ironically, there are folks that just don't seem to pay attention to what you've been playing.

Today I performed at the oldest retirement community in the nation, one that was founded in 1812. The AD said she particularly wanted me to do the party, as she really had some problems with previous performers not playing many Christmas songs. When she asked me to do the job, back in August, I told her that I perform Christmas songs a bit differently than the traditional renditions. She said she was OK with that, and was confident that audience would be as well.

Well, there always has to be one person that doesn't get the message. About halfway through the one-hour party, a party that was for both the residents and staff, after 30 minutes of nothing but Christmas songs, I switched to my usual, upbeat routine. I had the place rocking, several people were on the dance floor, and I had a chorus line in front of me when I performed New York, New York. Everyone was having fun.

Then, right after I finished New York, a staff lady from somewhere down the hall came up to me and said, "Hey, this is a Christmas Party, when are you going to play some Christmas songs. All I've been hearing is rock and roll and Reggae music down the hall." I hit the kill switch on the mic, and said "Obviously, you were not paying much attention. All of those Reggae and rock songs you heard were Christmas songs, just a different, and upbeat rendition of them." She gave me a funny look and walked away in a huff. Guess she really wasn't listening after all.

After the job, many, many people came up to me and commented on how wonderful the party was, and wanted to know when I was coming back. When I told them I would not be returning till next April, they were shocked until I explained I was going on a long vacation, then they understood. I got lots of hugs, kisses and Merry Christmas wishes, which this old codger thrives on. wink The Ad came up to me and said, she was a bit concerned when I told here that I would be doing the Christmas songs differently, but when the party was over she was sure happy that she selected me for the job. I was happy she selected me as well.

Every day playing music and singing to the ladies is a good day, some days are just better than others,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#396989 - 12/11/14 07:05 AM Re: How many Christmas songs.... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

There's always "ONE" keys

#396991 - 12/11/14 07:43 AM Re: How many Christmas songs.... [Re: travlin'easy]
rosetree
Unregistered

I remember one time, a pure piano gig in a café I had just ended both "Dreaming of a White Christmas" and "Winter Wonderland" when an elderly woman complained why I didn't play any Christmas songs... I guess she only knew traditional German ones frown

#396993 - 12/11/14 08:56 AM Re: How many Christmas songs.... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I played "Pretty Paper" last night, and about two songs later, someone came up and asked if I knew "Pretty Paper"!
I think sometimes people are talking or not paying attention and they sub-consciously hear the song and then they are prompted to ask for it.

#396997 - 12/11/14 09:44 AM Re: How many Christmas songs.... [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I think you are right with that, Don ...

#396999 - 12/11/14 10:00 AM Re: How many Christmas songs.... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Love that song Don I sing it every night now.

#397004 - 12/11/14 10:57 AM Re: How many Christmas songs.... [Re: travlin'easy]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I had a request for Unforgettable.
But, I forgot.
Eddie

#397065 - 12/13/14 02:46 PM Re: How many Christmas songs.... [Re: travlin'easy]
mackel Offline

Loc: Phoenix AZ
Never heard Pretty Paper. Just listened to the Willie Nelson version on YouTube. I like this song. Thanks All.

#397091 - 12/15/14 09:39 AM Re: How many Christmas songs.... [Re: travlin'easy]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I played at this assisted living residence for the first time yesterday. I came prepared to play any or all of the set with Christmas music. I started out with Feliz Navidad and got some warm introductory applause. I explained I was there to play some Christmas music but since it was my first time there I would also give a sampling of my regular stuff. From that point on I think I played maybe three more Christmas songs.

When I started playing the regular music people got up and started dancing and continued partying until the end of the hour. I ended up playing over just to make sure I got in my obligatory Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, God Bless America and Happy Trails. As I packed up I played some audio, a couple carols in Polish. One lady who came late and sat on the side said to me, ' I wish you would have played more hymns so I could sing along.' You just can't win.

In the end, this was one of the liveliest NH gigs I've ever played and I hope they invite me back.

#397094 - 12/15/14 11:54 AM Re: How many Christmas songs.... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Always give them a musical smorgasbord!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online