SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#396788 - 12/04/14 02:20 PM What else besides music do you do for $$$?
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I retired from big industry but before that was a teacher.

After I retired, I started to get calls to be a fill in teacher again.

So for the last 10 years or so, I have been filling in for teachers in the school district here.

The place I substitute teach the most is alternative school. It's a school for kids that have not done so well in the regular school environment for educational or behavioral reasons....mostly behavior issues.

In any case, it's a fun place for me to share music because a lot of the kids in this school will play instruments to 'cool down' and take the stress out of their daily lives. And it's fun for me to share in that with them.

How about the rest of you? Are you all professional musicians? Or do you do other things to make some $$$ or to 'entertain' so to speak?

RogL

#396790 - 12/04/14 03:09 PM Re: What else besides music do you do for $$$? [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I actually got into music full time many years ago because I couldn't find a job in my main line of work, driving a Wells Fargo stage coach. smile
Seriously, I used to have some pretty good "real jobs", but not for a long time. I was once Advertising and Public Relations Manager for Murphy Oil Corporation. After that I owned a newspaper and an insurance agency. I later owned my own night club for a number of years. Of course I did the music there six nights a week. One of my first jobs was writing speeches and doing photography for Oral Roberts in Tulsa. True story!
When he found out I was a musician he agreed to pay me to do a record. It was a huge flop because the hole in the center of the record kept healing over. Not a true story. smile
I only worked for OR about six months, but had some really eye-opening experiences. But that's a whole 'nuther story.

#396792 - 12/04/14 03:32 PM Re: What else besides music do you do for $$$? [Re: guitpic1]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I investigate complaints against lawyers and where applicable impose decisions forcing them to compensate their clients and make good the poor service they have given.

#396793 - 12/04/14 04:41 PM Re: What else besides music do you do for $$$? [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'll bet you stay BUSY!!

#396794 - 12/04/14 04:44 PM Re: What else besides music do you do for $$$? [Re: spalding1968]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I have a production company that does video production, research, package design, training programs, literature, P/R corporate communications...music is integrated into most of the productions. Clients are large international manufacturers selling into US markets, automobile manufacturers and fortune 200 companies.

I also run a company (family owned) with three farms, 2 convenience stores, 100 rental properties. I'm on the boards of two financial institutions, teach part-time at the college level and do assignment writing.

All pay well...better than I deserve, I think, sometimes.

Russ

#396797 - 12/04/14 05:55 PM Re: What else besides music do you do for $$$? [Re: guitpic1]
124 Offline

I applied for a job once. The guv'nor said he'd pay me what I was worth. So I told him if he thought I was going to work for that kind of money, he could stick his job.

#396815 - 12/05/14 01:40 PM Re: What else besides music do you do for $$$? [Re: 124]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I've actually had a job of one sort or another since I was 15 years old - deli, butcher shop, candy store, super market, then after graduating high school at the age of 17, I started going to college part time and teaching accordion ... when I was about 21 and dating my wife to be, I joined the US Army Reserves and learned all I needed to know about driving an armored tank and firing all the weapons on-board and a few side-arms as well... I achieved the rank of Sergeant within three years ... after finishing active duty, my future father-in-law felt I should be doing something more substantial and through a friend of his got me into IBM school - pre computers - After about a month of classes, I got a job as an 'IBM Machine Operator Trainee' ...
Six months after that the company got its first IBM main frame computer system, and I was the second machine operator in the company to be transferred to the computer department ... I worked in the Data Processing field for many years, and saw first hand the rapid growth of computer technology ... I worked 40 years for the company I retired from, in several different technical and managerial capacities, finally retiring as a Regional Director ...
For 26 years, starting from my senior year in high school, I played in a band with the same guys in the NY/NJ area ... then the company I worked for relocated its Home Office to Rhode Island, and I went with it ... Didn't play any gigs for about 7 years and finally went out and started 'marketing myself' and started playing in restaurants and Country Clubs ... and now, here I am, communicating with musicians from all over the world ...
What a GREAT ride ...

#396818 - 12/05/14 02:22 PM Re: What else besides music do you do for $$$? [Re: guitpic1]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Great experiences there Tony. I'm proud to know you and so many others here on SZ.

I've played in a variety of bands beginning at age 16 all to way to present as a OMB entertainer at 72. During that time I have been a high school teacher, insurance salesman (but not for long, ugh), DJ and later broadcast account executive, owned two advertising related companies. sold them and retired to become a newspaper account executive as a way of sliding into retirement. Finally retired to do OMB arranger jobs. My interest in computers has resulted in a one man, on-call, shop to service computers for friends and neighbors - and friends of friends - and neighbors of neighbors - all just word of mouth referrals. Small time, but gives me something productive to do when not playing music.

Music-wise I love doing banquets and dinner dances....but hate restaurant gigs....unless it is a banquet style where everybody is on the same page. Country clubs, Home Owner Associations, fraternal clubs, NH. assisted living and private house parties round out the venues that put me to work....but I'm not nearly as busy as Gary, Donny or Bill from Dayton.

The rest of the time I keep up with several other SZ members by phone, email and FaceTime.

Eddie

#396821 - 12/05/14 03:46 PM Re: What else besides music do you do for $$$? [Re: guitpic1]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Interesting thread, Tony and Eddy you both have great experiences. Ed, FaceTime I think we had a chat one night as I was walking around the house with my iphone smile

While in high school had a real interest in radio and while a senior worked at one of the big power house FM stations called WPRO-FM as a deejay/announcer. I did that for a year but my love of the stuff that's served in brown bottles got me in trouble and found myself out of that job. Went on in college to major in marketing, then went to work in sales at the Steinway Piano/Hammond organ dealer in my hometown. Fun job but it was a family owned business, earnings weren't what they should have been worked there for 3 years. Floundered around a while took an 11 week cross country trip visiting 36 states with my late cousin, the brother I never had. After the return trip went to work in the wholesale liquor business because I was an expert in product knowledge, I sure sampled enough of it to sell it. I stayed in it for 6 years but when my sales were less than I was drinking I knew it was time to find another way to earn a living. At 30 I shifted gears in a big way and got on the right road. I did manage to make some connections in the booze business with one person who was manager at one of the big tobacco companies I took the job I was offered. My ambition in life ws not to work for a company marketing cigarettes but the job came my way , the good pay, pension, 401k plan and the brand new company car ( my choice) every 2 years was a tough deal to not take. Had a very successful career there but knew that I didn't want to spend my life in the tobacco business. At 47 they offered some of us a buyout complete with pension, stocks and 401k, I took it then went back to school for another degree in Computer Service and Networking technology ( courtesy of job retraining) and worked as the IT manager of a law firm for 14 years. Retired now from full time work.

On the music side, I played piano for many years but strictly at home never played a gig until I was 55 years old. Never had visions of playing for pay but after making several instrumental CDs on a Clavinova CVP307, friends started asking me why aren't you out playing every weekend. I'd usually reply because I have a good job already, plus I work hard all week why do I want to tie up nights? After playing my first solo piano gig at a Christmas party ( yes it was Christmas not a holiday party!!) in an upscale retirement community I got hooked. In all honesty it's been fun but at times frustrating getting the bookings. This is first year of retirement and I've been coasting, but lately have been doing some computer tech support for customers via word of mouth much like Eddy is doing. Have made some good friends here at SZ and try to keep in touch with them on regular basis.

Edited by Stephenm52 (12/05/14 03:50 PM)
Edit Reason: mis-spelling

#396823 - 12/05/14 04:06 PM Re: What else besides music do you do for $$$? [Re: Stephenm52]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I started as teaching guitar; then opened a music school/store;

then three years of selling stocks, bonds and insurance. From

1975 to 2013, full time musician.

It was a great life,
John C.

PS, I made in the most money in the market – BUT it was never much fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online