SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#396410 - 11/26/14 08:06 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
As I implied above, Spalding, this amp/speacker won't be for everyone...but, the important thing is...it just might be for us!

Michael Boddicker seemed very impressed with the system, and he's a pro in every sense of the word.

A Traynor K4 is well over $1000...you could get the SpaceStation and a nice powered Sub for close to that.

Ian

#396416 - 11/26/14 09:44 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
Dnj Offline

You need separation for stereo...I wouldn't buy it unless I played thru it.........unless you can return it.
remember the player makes it sound good not the amp..

#396420 - 11/26/14 09:58 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
You need separation for stereo...I wouldn't buy it unless I played thru it.........unless you can return it.
remember the player makes it sound good not the amp..

Maybe...but if you play a crap keyboard sound or style through it, don't be surprised if it doesn't sound good either.

Plus, many people are using SMF nowadays, so often talent isn't necessary to have a great sound. Just press "Play".

It produces separation, Donny...this, remember, is quite a new concept, so other rules regarding stereo keyboard amps like the Traynor K4 don't apply. The Traynor's separation falls off really quickly, whereas the Spacestation projects the stereo image for a much longer distance.

I think it would be terrific for small to medium gigs and avoid that mono plainness that comes from using a mono amp/speaker or a single Bose, but still be able to have the convenience of only one speaker/amp setup, especially if one is doing multiple gigs.

In any case, I'm certainly interested.

Ian

#396421 - 11/26/14 10:02 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
Dnj Offline

I hear it doesn't have much bottom end also only goes down to 90db ?..
there are many better choices out there for KB amplification ...
if anyone feels they want to spend that kind of money to find out so be it its their prerogative....I wish them luck.

your put down of using SMF of which I use none anyway I won't even address.

Please after you buy one share your reviews also...

Edited by Dnj (11/26/14 10:08 AM)

#396423 - 11/26/14 10:22 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

I hear it doesn't have much bottom end also only goes down to 90db ?..
there are many better choices out there for KB amplification ...
if anyone feels they want to spend that kind of money to find out so be it its their prerogative....I wish them luck.

your put down of using SMF of which I use none anyway I won't even address.

Please after you buy one share your reviews also...

The amp has a sub out, so no issues with bottom end, and even with the sub, it's still under the price of a Traynor K4.

SMF are what they are...nothing more...no put down whatsoever, but, it certainly doesn't take a whole bunch of talent to load in a SMF, press play and sing over it...the resulting product is then focused on the capability/talent of the singer, not the arranger...but I digress.

There should be all kinds of reviews out once it's on the market...I won't order one till I actually try one out in the store.

In any case, if it proves to work well, it will save a fair amount of fuss when gigging.

Ian

PS...it's probably not going to be ideal for player/ vocalists, unless they run in/out of a separate mixer or use the keyboard's mic input as in this demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL-GImXEaHk

Here it is used with a sub woofer and a stringed instrument player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_VnqSRprYA

#396425 - 11/26/14 11:11 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
SMF are what they are...nothing more...no put down whatsoever, but, it certainly doesn't take a whole bunch of talent to load in a SMF, press play and sing over it...the resulting product is then focused on the capability/talent of the singer, not the arranger...but I digress.

So your saying the "talent" it takes to record tracks and play/create a SMF backing track to play on top of and sing....doesn't mean anything? What talent is operating an automatic "Style" you didn't create which are smaller Midi files also just sayin' playing a few chords to trigger them? The style vs SMF thing is getting really old at his point I'd say...crating music in any fashion should be respected and enjoyed... keys

#396427 - 11/26/14 11:14 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I almost went for the SFX100...the original Spacestation...it's design really works, problem, it was underpowered, and had no real bottom...
The new model is spec'd at 280 watts, (nearly 3 times the original)..
It still only goes down to 100kw...not exceptable, without a sub..
Although a lot of folks here on SZ use sound systems that only go down to 90 kw, and they seem happy...Personally I need sub 40 kw...Good news the sub out will give you a collective out for the added woofer..

What is funny, the Bose folk are knocking the same attributes of their Bose Compact...

Listening to the demo, you can actually hear the difference in the sound quality....

Add a sub woofer and this may be the system to beat in moderate size venues....It takes the dispersement of the Bose a big step farther...I recall the ripple effect explained before, illustrating the overlap when using two Bose in a stereo position..causing phase cancelation..This design answers that problem, and is explained very acurately..

I would love to see this design with a decent bottom, but I think it would take too much modification in the housing design, speaker size and overall weight...

Edited by Fran Carango (11/26/14 11:18 AM)

#396431 - 11/26/14 11:57 AM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
ianmcnll Offline

I don't think I'd do without the sub if I was to get the Spacestation...I like lots of low end, too. Even with the sub, the Spacestation is still very competitive price-wise with other keyboard amps/monitors without one.

I hope it delivers what's been promised.

Ian

#396434 - 11/26/14 12:09 PM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

So your saying the "talent" it takes to record tracks and play/create a SMF backing track to play on top of and sing....doesn't mean anything?

If you actually read my post, you'd realize that is not what I said.

A SMF is still a pre-recorded background of a full song, no matter who created it...if you can make your own, that's peachy.

However, anyone can take said SMF, load it into a keyboard or file player, press PLAY, and then sing over it. Then, the actual talent becomes how well the singer performs, because they aren't actually playing while singing...it's basically Karaoke.

Of course, nothing wrong with Karaoke...it's very popular.

Kudos on making your own files.

Ian

#396438 - 11/26/14 12:26 PM Re: centre point space station keyboard amp [Re: spalding1968]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
We had a discussion on this amp's initial intro in 2006.

The Groove tube SX100. I went to Guitar center and they let me try it for 30 days. I took it back the same day. I wasn't impressed.

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/92205/Groove_Tube_SFX_100

Regards,

JerryGHR

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online