SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#39631 - 02/03/00 07:06 AM Non n/4 time sigs in sequencer
rjbragg Offline

Loc: Alton,Hampshire,UK
I am not really a keyboard player and just (initially) am using my KN1600 to record backing sequences for practicing my guitar so I do NOT want to compose my own styles ie rythmn, drums etc.

What I do need is to record a sequence in 6/8 but not a waltz or march? My previous Korg is50 had loads more built in styles and they could be overwritten so as not to fill valuable user space (ie junk those naff dance, techno stuff).

This seems to have been asked before in other forms but no answers. Can't afford bigger kit but something appears to be lacking if Technics can't provide as standard means to have 6/8, 5/4 and other common measures.

TIA

#39632 - 02/15/00 04:19 PM Re: Non n/4 time sigs in sequencer
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am not familiar with the KN1600 but I do use a KN2000 so my input may be useful to you. When I want a 6/8 sequence I use triplets (note lengths followed by a 3). Typically, in a 4/4 signature this method will give you a 12/8 sig. If you want 6/8, cut the tempo in half, this way you'll have half the number of bars in your sequence. E-mail me if you have any question.

Yvan

#39633 - 02/16/00 01:51 AM Re: Non n/4 time sigs in sequencer
rjbragg Offline

Loc: Alton,Hampshire,UK
OK. I can cope with triplets but there seems to be a lack of suitable built in rythms (ie percussion/accompaniments) to go with it. It does seem that in an instrument costing the best part of 900 GBP they could of forseen people wanting to do this. 6/8 is not uncommon after all. Also what about half bars and other things musicians use. I have one piece that is in 4/4 but with odd 3/4 bars thrown in.

Quote:
Originally posted by ydan:
I am not familiar with the KN1600 but I do use a KN2000 so my input may be useful to you. When I want a 6/8 sequence I use triplets (note lengths followed by a 3). Typically, in a 4/4 signature this method will give you a 12/8 sig. If you want 6/8, cut the tempo in half, this way you'll have half the number of bars in your sequence. E-mail me if you have any question.

Yvan

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online