SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#395551 - 11/06/14 05:16 PM First impression of HK Nano 300
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Fed Ex delivered it at noon, so I unpacked it and took it to my tandem job at 1:30pm. In the first room I set it up on the floor to my left. It sounded OK, with a strong bass, but not very loud uppers. I came to feel I should have put it on a chair. In the second room I set it on a chair slightly behind me to the right. What a difference; big strong sound. I set channel 1 at about 12 o'clock and the sub volume at about 10 o'clock and that seemed to fill the room even a little stronger and louder than I would with my Compact. There were no complaints from either room, in fact there were a surprising amount of compliments - but then, this was my first time in the second part of the facility.

All in all, I'll have to try it a couple more times before I decide if it beats the Bose Compact or not. I definitely want to put the speakers up on a pole and I'll probably want to try that 'stereo' thing people talk about. smile I will say, that I could be very happy using this system if I didn't have the Bose. They are close; the Nano was about half the price of the Bose, so if $$ is a consideration, the Nano could be your go to mini system.

I heard the Nano last spring in a couple outdoor situations and was impressed enough to want to try one of my own. My first impression is: it's great. I want to take it to one of my regular places and do an actual side by side comparison, but I think that right out of the box, the Nano makes that s950 piano sound much better than the Compact. Vocals were good and clear, and overall keyboard sound was solid. It wasn't the identical sound of the Compact, but I'd have to say they come close to each other.

I was wondering if I would like the Nano or if I'd be sending it back or even selling it. That won't be happening. this is a solid piece of equipment that I'll be keeping for a good while. I want to thank Frank V. for the great price and service...

#395554 - 11/06/14 05:50 PM Re: First impression of HK Nano 300 [Re: cassp]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
OK,I asked this question on Don M's post, but I'll ask it again here: Would it possible and advisable to tandem a Nano with a Compact? What would be the disadvantages? Which would be the best way to wire it? If you wanted stereo? What do YOU think?

#395559 - 11/06/14 06:56 PM Re: First impression of HK Nano 300 [Re: cassp]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sure, just take the line out of the Bose L1 compact and feed it into the input of the Nano - it should work just fine.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#395563 - 11/06/14 08:18 PM Re: First impression of HK Nano 300 [Re: cassp]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I carry my Barbetta in the van as a back-up. If I arrive at a venue and feel that it (the venue) is too large for the Bose Compact alone, I daisy the Compact with the Barbetta. You may have to ensure that they have enough space between them (I walk off 5 to 7 paces) as to not cancel sounds and it’s a good idea to plug them both into the same power source/surge protector to avoid hum. It’s easy to plug one amp on one side of a stage and the other in a separate receptacle at the other, but it may cause an annoying hum.
Ciao,
Jerry

#395565 - 11/07/14 12:00 AM Re: First impression of HK Nano 300 [Re: Jerry T]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
We have one HK Nano 300 and a pair of Bose Compacts. We've had the compacts for close to two years and got the HK Nano last summer.

Just a couple of things:

1. The HK Nano has more bass response and to my ears anyway, overall a fuller frequency response...highs to lows.

2. The HK Nano took some tweaking at first to get the sound I like...especially with the bass. The HK Nano does have the ability to tweak sound...with the Bose Compacts...we get what we get.

3. The Nano appears to be just as powerful as a Compact...but then we rarely play to audiences over 75 and in smaller more intimate settings.

4. One big advantage for the Nano is that it has two inputs for stereo keyboard inputs and one for vocal or an instrument. The Compact has one input for instrument. If I'm going to do a solo gig, and use one speaker, it's the Nano.

5. When my wife plays as well(bass and vocals) we have used (1) two Compacts or (2) She uses a Compact and I use the Nano on the keyboard and then run my vocals from the Tyros.

6. The Compact has a preamp for vocals, the Nano doesn't.

Re: putting the Nano up on a chair. That holds true for us anyway with the Compacts and the Nano. Both sound better if they are put up at waist level. However, in small rooms, we put both the Compacts and Nano on the floor.

We are keeping both the Nano and the Compacts. Really, both are very good speaker systems for what we do..mostly smaller venues.

We may go to a second Nano, not sure yet. It may take a year or so to see if we would switch over from the Compacts to two Nano's.

One thing for sure, there is getting to be a number of really good amplification choices out there.

smile

#395573 - 11/07/14 07:06 AM Re: First impression of HK Nano 300 [Re: cassp]
rosetree
Unregistered

If you already own both, I would try to combine them of course. But as I said in an earlier thread, I was absolutely thrilled when I combined my Nano 300 with a pair of db technologies K300. These very compact speakers (only 12pounds weight per box) have only very reserved bass, but outstanding, clear mid and high frequencies, so everything which still sounds slightly muddy via Nano 300 (and probably Bose compact) in the mid frequencies shines with clarity via K300. For my part, it is the perfect combination if you do not need more bass than the Nano subwoofer can deliver.

Edited by rosetree (11/07/14 07:08 AM)

#395579 - 11/07/14 10:00 AM Re: First impression of HK Nano 300 [Re: cassp]
Dnj Offline

I have used both in stereo (2) on stage The Bose compact & Nano 300 systems......for smaller venues they were fine I give the nod to the Nano for versatility....but my intention was to only use One PA system for all my jobs and I certainly do so many different scenarios every week and they were ok and covered smaller 50 -75 or so pp,.....but in no way could I ever use either system for my bigger jobs at 200-450pp of which many of my gigs are.. so I researched and tested many more systems and now I am very happy with what I have .....and it certainly serves my needs on stage in so many ways sound wise & versatility.
Good luck with what ever you choose.....& remember its NOt the Pa it's what you put thru it that counts.. cool2

take a look at the Maui systems also as an alternative to Bose C or Nano 300....or The Nano 600 could be a choice also.

#395584 - 11/07/14 01:52 PM Re: First impression of HK Nano 300 [Re: cassp]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Actually, the Bose L1 compact has four inputs, one is a mic input with a two-band EQ system, a standard 1/4-inch mono input, a 1/8th-inch stereo input and a stereo RCA input. With the exception of the mic input, the other three can be used for various instruments, I-phones, etc... I had a guy with his guitar plugged into my compact, while I plugged into the RCA using a 1/4-inch adapter cable from my keyboard to the RCAs. It ain't rocket science.

As for the audience size capabilities, well, a lot depends on the audience composition, the venue configuration, and the type of job you are playing. With a pair of compacts, I have done several relatively large jobs with audiences to 300 and still had lots of head room. And, unlike conventional sound systems that have significant falloff beyond 50 feet, I was able to fill the venue with evenly distributed sound - no hot spots - no dead spots. I've never had a lack of bass, never had to place the system on a chair or table, never have a problem with distortion. Now, if I had to do a job with an audience larger than 300 people, I would probably chain my ancient Barbetta Sona 32SC to the Bose compact, place the Barbetta on a pole off to one side and hope no one decides to lean on it and knock it over. I hate pole mounted, heavy @ssed speakers.

Now, the big difference is with the Bose Compact you must set all your EQs with either the keyboard, or a mixer if you are using one. I no longer use a mixer, therefore all my EQs are set with the keyboard, and I really like it that way. There's never a question of whether or not a knob has been bumped or not set correctly. I have a half-dozen registrations that are set up just for various EQ settings at different venues - works great. One button push and everything is ready to go. Love it!

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#395585 - 11/07/14 02:05 PM Re: First impression of HK Nano 300 [Re: cassp]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

Cass,
I own a pair of Nano 300's, bought from Frank of Audioworks in
Milford, CT. I really enjoy these speakers and use them in my
home only. The nice part of having them in your home is that you can adjust them to your taste and leave them alone. I have owned them since the first of the year and after tweaking them a bit
I am pleased with them. I have them on poles and are connected
by a cable from one Nano to the other, giving a very nice stereo
sound. Lloyd

Edited by Tyrosman5 (11/07/14 02:05 PM)

#395592 - 11/08/14 07:11 AM Re: First impression of HK Nano 300 [Re: cassp]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Hi guys,

Just wanted to chime in,

Cass, I'm glad your happy, they are amazing little speakers that keep up with the bigger guys.

The Nano 300 does have a mic pre on board, just like the Bose, there's a switch right below the xlr input to swith it to a mic pre, but what most of my customer do, is they are either doing all their mixing on the keyboard itself and feeding into the stereo inputs, or using a mixer for vocals , so they can add effects and more eqing to their liking

Also I have on order the New HK Lucas Nano 600s, hopefully we are looking at a late December arrival, these guys will bridge the gap between small portability with big pa sound.

I also carry the LD Maui line, with is the Maui 11, Maui 28, and the Maui 44, all at a great price compared to the others.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online