SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#395552 - 11/06/14 05:18 PM The 1966 Star Trek Theme on Roland Integra
rosetree
Unregistered

...with female voice sample - I wouldn't know any other hardware instrument that would have this variety of samples:-)
(Read description, some sounds are from MoXF, too).

https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree/beam-me-up-the-1966-star-trek-theme-on-roland-integra-7

#395556 - 11/06/14 06:00 PM Re: The 1966 Star Trek Theme on Roland Integra [Re: ]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The female voice sounds too perfect. I miss the theremin

#395558 - 11/06/14 06:30 PM Re: The 1966 Star Trek Theme on Roland Integra [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

well... I haven't looked for a Theramin among the Integra sounds. It could further approach it to the original. But there is a genuine female opera voice in the original. This voice sample is far from perfect, originally it is from a Roland expansion of the mid 1990s. But I don't know any other instrument that would have a female solo voice sample like that at all. The versatility of the Integra is impressive.
BTW, the chords are damn complex, I played them by ear, but there's still one chord I haven't completely figured out.

#395570 - 11/07/14 05:53 AM Re: The 1966 Star Trek Theme on Roland Integra [Re: ]
Joesax Offline

Loc: Southern New Jersey
Nice job. Sounds like it was a difficult multi-track effort on the Sequencer.
Tyros 3, Motif XF6, Quad Amp/Pre-Amp/DAC, Quad Monitors, Tascam Digital Recorder

#395571 - 11/07/14 06:16 AM Re: The 1966 Star Trek Theme on Roland Integra [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Thanks. The sequencer tracks include drums (with congos), ac.bass, strings, female voice, French horns, trumpets (play syncopic rhythmic chords), synth bells and harp.
So it is quite complex, especially the harmonies/chords. But as I have occasionally played the tune for 20 years, I had everything in mind and it took me two short evening sessions, about 3 hours in total.

#395574 - 11/07/14 08:55 AM Re: The 1966 Star Trek Theme on Roland Integra [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Here it is again with the appropriate picture ;-) But no changes in the recording (I'm going to look for a Theramin sound some time...). My Integra just appears to have left the orbit and turning on Warp speed.
http://youtu.be/A_PiS5ekc_8

#395575 - 11/07/14 09:30 AM Re: The 1966 Star Trek Theme on Roland Integra [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

clap very nice...would love to hear some improve in this song also instead of a straight copy to make it your own & give the listener a little surprise too.. That said well done job nicely performed.

Thanx for sharing.. headphone

#395576 - 11/07/14 09:43 AM Re: The 1966 Star Trek Theme on Roland Integra [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Donny, it's my primary intention to make it as close to the original as possible, and I think in that way it is quite surprising the Integra can come that close.
For jazz and swing tunes for example, I would immediately agree to try to make one's own impros. For a tune like that, I prefer to approach to the original.
I also think it is a very demanding task to come as close to the harmonies of the composition without having the sheet music, so again I think it is surprisingly close, and that's all I want to show.

Edited by rosetree (11/07/14 09:50 AM)

#395577 - 11/07/14 09:47 AM Re: The 1966 Star Trek Theme on Roland Integra [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
Donny, it's my primary intention to make it as close to the original as possible, and I think in that way it is quite surprising the Integra can come that close.
For jazz and swing tunes for example, I would immediately agree to try to make one's own impros. For a tune like that, I prefer to approach to the original.

I can understand your point, ...I guess I just like surprises when I listen to music to give me that "WOW" factor!! cool2 ...no matter what type of song it is.

Thanx for sharing your work.

#395580 - 11/07/14 10:04 AM Re: The 1966 Star Trek Theme on Roland Integra [Re: ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Nicely done, Rosetree, and beautifully played. Your music has lots of feeling. Both arrangements are very close to the original. I remember playing this on my Yamaha D-85 Electone which did a good job of capturing the essence of the piece, but I think your versions have more detail.

My only suggestion would be to mix the lead voice a tad lower and allow more of the background to be heard.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online