SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#394817 - 10/15/14 12:50 PM How much time do you...
Bachus Offline

How many hours a day do you sit at home behind your keyboard(s) ?

And how many gigs do you do weekly?
And how often do you play together with others?

Me personally as a home musician, i spend two hours on average
Which allows me to improve my playing very slowly
But then i play for fun and stressrelieve

http://keyszone.boards.net

#394833 - 10/15/14 07:58 PM Re: How much time do you... [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I spent about 40 years playing 4 to 6 nights a week, almost without stops.
During that time I played very little at home. I usually had a second keyboard and always a guitar to learn new songs, but that probably amounted to a few hours a week.
Since surgery in March I have only played a half dozen or so private parties. I've spent more time with the keyboard set up at home, which I enjoy for a few minutes, but I just don't get the same satisfaction as when I'm entertaining others.
I'm slowly starting to book a few more jobs now, so we'll see what develops.
Only a few times a year do I play with another person, and occasionally a guitar player will sit in with me on a job, but probably 99 percent of the time, it's just me.

#394834 - 10/15/14 08:27 PM Re: How much time do you... [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
For me, 5 to 7 jobs a week. The gear rarely comes out of the van unless I schedule some time for sailing.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#394836 - 10/15/14 09:23 PM Re: How much time do you... [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I try to play every day, and the time varies depending on what else my schedule might dictate ... I also try to work on different things - especially tunes I've heard other musicians playing ... for example, this past Friday I attending a 'brown bag concert' on the lawn at our town hall - the town sponsors these on a monthly basis from May to October, noon to 1:30PM ... I heard a duo - two brothers, drums and guitar/vocalist (the guitar player used a looper to record his base line - that was pretty cool)... he did a version of Billy Joel's "Don't Ask Me Why" and a couple of other tunes which I am now working on ... not sure if I'll ever have the right venue to play them, but sometimes we just have to play for ourselves, no? ...
I will play about a half dozen gigs a year with either a guitar player or sax player ... I love working with other guys ...
As Don said, playing for yourself is not as rewarding as playing for an audience, but it has its benefits ...

#394840 - 10/16/14 01:49 AM Re: How much time do you... [Re: Bachus]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I spend at least 8 hrs a day in my studio working on different projects and play out 4 times a week, including my once a week band gig.

#394843 - 10/16/14 07:08 AM Re: How much time do you... [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Now that I'm retired, (and only take the very occasional high paying gig) the amount of time spent per day depends on the degree of motivation I'm feeling.

In spite of attempting to further cultivate the art of laziness (and it is an art) usually I've got a bit of a rough plan regarding what I'm doing music-wise that day or week.

Sometimes it's a spontaneous thing...I may be trying to find a particular type of style for an arrangement, and that may lead me on a style editing adventure for several hours, winding up with a bunch of new styles.

Or, I may hear a song I've never played and want to learn it, so that entails working around with styles, ascertaining the song structure itself, and what soloists I want to feature.

When I start my day, usually around 11:00 AM, I switch on the Tyros4 and my speaker system, and it stays on until I retire for the night. After about 10:00 PM I use a set of headphones, and I'm usually playing well past midnight.

With the keyboard continually on, and in the same room as my PC, I can sit down and play whenever the mood strikes me.

The studio time, because it is not here in my home, varies with projects on the go...I usually just go in and lay down either bed tracks with the Tyros4 (bass and drums) or overdub some other keyboard parts.

I only do mix-downs on my own home recorded stuff, so I'm not in the studio for very long.

I jam once or twice a month (sometimes more in the winter) with several other musicians, whom I regard as better players than myself, so I'm always learning and always pushing harder...and, I get to play a beautiful vintage Hammond B-3.

Music is still a large part of my life, in spite of retirement...before I went pro, I always played for my own enjoyment first, so I don't really need an audience, although it is very nice when there is one.

Also, I still do occasional private arranger clinics, but mainly in my own area.

Ian

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online