SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#394728 - 10/13/14 04:16 PM My last Yamaha PSR keyboard
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I didn't like the keyfeel and harmonizer..
Doesn't sound bad here...

#394731 - 10/13/14 05:02 PM Re: My last Yamaha PSR keyboard [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I had a 2100 briefly, for demoing, and I already had two PSR-2000's for gigging (I was working a lot back then). I didn't find enough differences to move up, much like now, with the not moving from Tyros4 to Tyros5. Also, like the 2K, the 2100 still only had 8 drawbars for the organ model but it did have a slightly better piano sound, if I remember correctly.

I sold both my 2K's, and I went directly to two PSR-3000's, and I have to say, they were pretty awesome keyboards...and Yamaha finally got the organ modelling correct (9 drawbars, and much better effects).

Only for the lure of the PSR-S910's terrific SA Voices and on-board Audio Recording, I would have stayed longer with the 3000's.

I realized the shortcomings of Yamaha's VH, and I worked around them okay, and even the VH2 on my Tyros4 is still not up to TC Helicon standards, but, if used wisely and sparingly, it does the trick quite well. I find a many singer/players, of all brands, use VH too much (just because it's there doesn't mean it has to be used in almost every tune), and sounding like a barbershop quartet or a barely passable version of the Bee Gees or Manhattan Transfer gets old really quick to this listener, even when it's done on a TC Helicon VH.

I really like Michel's presentations, especially his early ones...makes us remember how good these older keyboards were in the right hands.

Thanks Fran.

Ian

#394734 - 10/13/14 06:22 PM Re: My last Yamaha PSR keyboard [Re: Fran Carango]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA

Who cares? smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#394736 - 10/13/14 07:30 PM Re: My last Yamaha PSR keyboard [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The 2100 had several other changes. For one you didn't have to pre-select the endings as you did on 2000. They also addressed an error in the vocal processor (in the high voice preset). By the way they denied that the error existed for the entire life of the 2000, even though they sent me an elaborate workaround for it.
It was important to me because at the time I was working a lot with Dean Mathis, of the New beats, and I used it to do the high part on their big hit Bread And Butter. The 2000 was the only KB on which that preset didn't work right.
I'm sure there were a few other "upgrades" but nothing they couldn't do today with simple software fixes.
As I recall this was about the time they developed the technology to do updates without having to physically replace a board.

#394741 - 10/14/14 01:07 AM Re: My last Yamaha PSR keyboard [Re: Fran Carango]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
"it has even directly sounds coming off Tyros"... Brilliant

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online