SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#394373 - 10/07/14 12:04 PM Anyone here do DUELING PIANO Gigs?
Dnj Offline

Looks like fun keys keys

#394378 - 10/07/14 01:24 PM Re: Anyone here do DUELING PIANO Gigs? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Only the most talented should attempt to work dueling piano gigs....We use to have a club here (Philly) that had rotating players....meaning different partners..

You have to be able to hold your own as piano playing entertainers...and also support your dueling partner...Nowhere as easy as you think..

#394380 - 10/07/14 01:31 PM Re: Anyone here do DUELING PIANO Gigs? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Fran how about dueling arrangers?...lol

#394381 - 10/07/14 01:39 PM Re: Anyone here do DUELING PIANO Gigs? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

We have the crazy pianos overhere in Scheveningen (the hague) Holland, that is a bar with dual piano players tat play requests all night long... Allways ends with party time..

Its my favourite allrime bar, those pianists play everything from bach to house, and me and the fammily try to visit it atleast twice a year..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#394391 - 10/07/14 04:04 PM Re: Anyone here do DUELING PIANO Gigs? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Hate to contradict Fran but it CAN BE a lot simpliler than it looks. I sat in with a guy who did that and he got me up to speed in a few minutes. Its really one player holding down the fort and the other doing embeliishments or adding to the basic rhythm, or trading leads.

And like everything else, the audience to focused on the vocals.

I'm sure there are duos with complex intertwining arrangments but I bet they are few and far. To spend a multitude of time to do Sweet Caroline in a bar gig seems kind of silly.

We ain't talkin Ferrante and Ticheser. ( Anyone remember them ? ) They were fantastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22qKRkjOWpI

Edited by Bill Lewis (10/07/14 04:08 PM)

#394399 - 10/07/14 05:51 PM Re: Anyone here do DUELING PIANO Gigs? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Hate to contradict Fran but it CAN BE a lot simpliler than it looks. I sat in with a guy who did that and he got me up to speed in a few minutes. Its really one player holding down the fort and the other doing embeliishments or adding to the basic rhythm, or trading leads.

And like everything else, the audience to focused on the vocals.

I'm sure there are duos with complex intertwining arrangments but I bet they are few and far. To spend a multitude of time to do Sweet Caroline in a bar gig seems kind of silly.

We ain't talkin Ferrante and Ticheser. ( Anyone remember them ? ) They were fantastic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22qKRkjOWpI

Bill, you can disagree with me...just once though smile

There are two ways to do the dueling pianos...the wrong way and the right way.. grin

You described the wrong way shocked

Trading turns to do your own thing..is not what I call dueling pianos..
The real dueling pianos, are spontaneous interaction between the dueling players..un rehearsed interaction, that builds both interest and a musical climax..

I have had friends that were of both types..All good players, but taking turns to perform there style, doesn't measure up to the "right" way that I described..Then it is a treat to be present at the dueling piano performance..

It is not just piano skills but the comedic interaction that sets the good guys (gals)apart.. wink

#394402 - 10/07/14 06:34 PM Re: Anyone here do DUELING PIANO Gigs? [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
All the dueling piano players that I have seen have my complete respect. The best ones I've seen where New Orleans. They had mad piano skills, great vocals, take all requests, and interact with the audience. Yeah, I'm sure they get a lot of the stock requests for stuff like Sweet Caroline but still, one needs some serious skills to really pull that kind of gig off on a high level.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#394415 - 10/08/14 06:52 AM Re: Anyone here do DUELING PIANO Gigs? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
OK Fran I offically withdraw my disagreement and will save it for another time. LOL!

#394438 - 10/08/14 08:26 AM Re: Anyone here do DUELING PIANO Gigs? [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Fran is right. I was asked to work one of these jobs, but went home with my tail between my legs when I heard the guy I was asked to replace.

Again, I'm NOT an entertainer!

R.

(Not a real piano player, either).

Edited by captain Russ (10/08/14 08:36 AM)

#394440 - 10/08/14 08:31 AM Re: Anyone here do DUELING PIANO Gigs? [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online