SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#394433 - 10/08/14 08:11 AM Re: Phone Calls During a Performance...... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
The only time I turn my phone on is when I want to use it. No call is important enough to me that I need to interrupt a performance - no call. If that woman has another heart attack while I'm gone, she knows exactly how dial 911, and so do the adult kids.
Gotta have your priorities straight.
Gary 8)

WOW ... that's COLD !!! ... confused1

#394435 - 10/08/14 08:13 AM Re: Phone Calls During a Performance...... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

During a gig, my phone is placed someplace out of sight except to me, sound off, vibrate on ... If a call comes in I can see who it is and decide if I NEED to call back immediately - some sort of EMERGENCY - or if I can call back later ...
Before passing judgement - which I shouldn't do anyway - on someone using their phone during my performance, I try to determine if that person is on an IMPORTANT call or just chit-chatting ... I also dislike people getting or making a phone call while on the golf course ... If your work needs to call you while you are on the golf course, perhaps you shouldn't be there ... wink

Edited by tony mads usa (10/08/14 08:23 AM)

#394471 - 10/08/14 06:30 PM Re: Phone Calls During a Performance...... [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
No phones on stage. Period. Shut it off. My God ... we've taken a turn for the worst when we act like the teens that have it permanently attached to their body. I've been a leader on a few nice dates and the band members attempted to have their phones on ... "attempted" (key word here). I told them - "no phones on stage" - no phone - or no job.
It's really a question of work ethics - none of us needs to be accountable 100% of the time.

#394481 - 10/09/14 06:18 AM Re: Phone Calls During a Performance...... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

New technology using Phones & Tablets, laptops, is coming out every day,......why not embrace it?....it ain't going away. cool2

Attachments
djmix2.jpg

idj2.jpg

#394506 - 10/09/14 12:42 PM Re: Phone Calls During a Performance...... [Re: Dnj]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
My phone is packed away in a gig bag when I'm at a gig; I don't even think about phones once I'm playing ...

#394511 - 10/09/14 02:31 PM Re: Phone Calls During a Performance...... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
No, Donny, it's not going away, but the thing that seems to be vanishing is young people's ability to communicate directly with other human beings without the crutch of a smartphone, Ipad, etc... They tend to hide behind those inanimate objects, say things texting that they would never say to a person's face, and lose their sense of identity. Then, of course, the criminal element steps in, and the list of internet and cell phone crimes that currently take place is growing exponentially. IMO, we've gone so far backward in this nation that it will really be difficult to turn things around, and often in the name of technology.

I saw where our school systems have now taken cursive writing in schools, which I think is all part of dumbing down our youngsters. When I was a kid, you could not bring a slide rule to school, because it was considered cheating when doing math. Slide rules were not permitted back then till you got into college and engineering school. Now, every kid is school would feel like he or she was mentally handcuffed if they didn't have an I-pad so they could Google every topic. Unfortunately, there are loads of kids now that cannot read enough to comprehend anything other than abbreviated text jargon. That's pretty damned sad.

Right now, as I type this diatribe, I'm sitting on my sailboat, stuck in the mud waiting for high tide so I can get back into my slip and moor the boat. I spent most of the day with my wife sailing in 20-knot winds on Chesapeake Bay, enjoying the beautiful fall weather, clear blue skies and watching American eagles soar overhead in search of a fish that happened to get too close to the water's surface. Most of today's youngsters will never enjoy, or embrace this kind of magic. Instead, they'll have their eyes glued to their Smartphones, while wolfing down high carb junk food from a fast food restaurant. They're eating there because their parent don't know how to cook, and more often than not the parent - not parents, have embraced that same technology that is now dumbing down their children. They were raised by a TV set, never heard of Home Economics in school, it has been gone for years, and the instructions for cooking are now on the back of the box. 3-minutes on high, stir, 2 minutes on high, let sit for 2 minutes before eating.

When I was in the grocery store last night, I noticed that in Giant, there were three full rows of frozen food freezers, all of which were meals in a box. The good stuff, the fresh meats and veggies, were all the way at the other end of the store. You had to pass through 20 isles of prepackaged foods to get to stuff that you actually had to cook. No wonder McDonalds, Burger King, Hardies, Red Lobster, Black Angus, etc... are packed to capacity with families every night of the week. No ONE CAN COOK! THEY DON'T KNOW HOW! But you can bet your ass they know every application that's available for their cell phones. However, while they're slowly consuming that huge volume of carbohydrates, salt, fat and calories they never seem to know there is someone sitting directly across the table from them - They have their damned eyes glued on that tiny screen, texting with one hand while trying to eat a Bloomin' Onion with the other.

So, Donny, you can have my portion of all that new technology. I might even turn on my cell phone today, but probably not. I would rather just sit here and wait for the incoming tide, sip a cold Coors Light, and talk with Carol about our upcoming trip to the sunny south this winter. Next week, I'll have my daughter and grandson out here with me, we'll get some nice photos of the wildlife, sail down the bay, and I'll grill some burgers on the boat's gas grill. But if I didn't have gas, I would switch to charcoal, or maybe make a nice wood fire in the grill with some hickory sticks and grill them the old fashioned way - damned the old fashioned way sure tastes pretty good.

Enjoy that technology,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#394513 - 10/09/14 02:40 PM Re: Phone Calls During a Performance...... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Gary.I won't argue but I will say everyone has a life to enjoy, ....
how you do that is much different then the next person,...no one is right or wrong,...life is too short...do what you like and do it often because before you know it in a snap it's all over. One mans garbage is another mans treasure if you get my drift!

#394521 - 10/09/14 04:23 PM Re: Phone Calls During a Performance...... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Right now, as I type this diatribe, I'm sitting on my sailboat, stuck in the mud waiting for high tide so I can get back into my slip and moor the boat.
Gary cool

C'mon, Gar, ... with today's technology there is no reason to be stuck in mud waiting for high tide ... wink

Most of today's youngsters will never enjoy, or embrace this kind of magic.
Gary cool

Gary ... there are a lot of folks our age and younger who never get to embrace that kind of magic, and it's not because of 'modern technology' ...
You've done well, my friend ...

#394522 - 10/09/14 04:27 PM Re: Phone Calls During a Performance...... [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
... if you get my drift!

Seems like at the time, Gary wasn't getting ANY drift ... laugh2

#394523 - 10/09/14 04:36 PM Re: Phone Calls During a Performance...... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

This says it all......NUFF SAID !! cool2

Edited by Dnj (10/09/14 04:37 PM)

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online