SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#393638 - 09/23/14 12:09 PM The visual part of the performance...
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
This was supposed to be my title..ran out of room.

THE VISUAL PART OF THE PERFORMANCE...ANYONE REMEMBER LAWRENCE WELK?

I was reminded, at a gig, how important seeing the instrument played was for the audience.

Earlier this month, a woman came up to us, after a gig, to compliment us on how great the sound was..we were using our Tyros 4(I was playing) she is a keyboard player/songwriter and has heard us before.

"You did a great job on the keyboard" she said(little does she know..thank you Tyros). But, she said, I miss you on the guitar.

Now, here's the thing...

I used guitar voices prominently throughout the gig. Played some stuff, that to my ears, sounded as good on the Tyros as it did on some of my guitars.

When I told her that I did play guitars...just did it on my keyboard, she said "Yes, I know, sounded good, but I like watching you play guitar".

So, where does Lawrence Welk fit in?

When his band played, whatever instrument played at the time, the musicians stood up...guitar, sax, clarinet, keyboard, trumpet, etc.

Not only did you hear; trombones, trumpets, guitars, keyboards etc...you saw them too.

So now, we're contemplating me going to back to the guitar and my wife playing the styles on the keyboard.

smile

It's all about the show, right?

Edited by guitpic1 (09/23/14 12:20 PM)

#393644 - 09/23/14 01:36 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've always considered the visual aspects of any performance equally as important as the sound itself. In the visual aspect, I look at the overall appearance of the rig itself, no wires running across the floor other than the power cord, line(s) to the PA, and some pedals - that's it - bare minimum. All other wires are concealed by my console and completely out of sight of the audience.

Lighting is of paramount importance and should always be appropriate. For me, flashing, glaring lights are out of the question. My lighting of myself, the sign and keyboard are all soft.

Dress code: I book a lot of jobs and every person that has ever booked me has commented on how my appearance always has been very professional. I'm always amazed at performers that show up in dirty work boots, jeans they wore on a construction job earlier in the week, some weird tee shirt, and maybe a grungy looking cowboy hat. In my case, it's a neat hair cut, highly polished, black shoes, black slacks, satin shirt (cooler months), guyabera shirt (warmer months), matching tie, silk vest, cuff links, gold tie clasp, clean shaven, etc...

As for standing up while playing the keyboard, NAH! Lawrence Welk sat down, Little Richard sat down, Jerry Lee sat down, jumped around, and did some crazy crap. Lots of guitar players sit on stools, and lots of other performers sit while performing. I stood for years while playing and no one ever said I looked more professional because I was standing, and no one ever said I looked less professional when I began sitting down while performing - it doesn't a make a bit of difference.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#393646 - 09/23/14 01:49 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
No one ever said I didn't look good on stage smile

I think it is a great idea to play guitar while your wife plays the Tyros..

Attachments
0522000014b_op_640x480.jpg

Edited by Fran Carango (09/23/14 01:50 PM)

#393648 - 09/23/14 03:25 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Like it or not, when the audience sees a guy playing guitar, they know it's not a track of some kind (even though it may BE). I have to admit that on a couple of occasions where a venue insisted on at least a duo, I had a friend, who could barely strum a guitar, go along and strum in time with the music. He was not plugged in to the p.a. smile Lots of remarks about how great the BAND sounded.
Go figure.

#393708 - 09/24/14 10:37 AM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: guitpic1]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Related to this topic ... is how one places their rig (keyboard setup) relative to the audience. I tend to do what I have seen organists (jazz and classical) do, and pianists do ... that is, I place my rig so people can see what I'm doing rather than seeing my face. I always get good comments afterward, by people who enjoyed seeing that I was really playing and not using a recording etc., people commenting at "what I can do" (getting the sounds, etc.) and them enjoying seeing all the "action" of my playing the keyboards.

This goes against one entertainer's rule, which is to "face your audience". I have tried it both ways, many times, over the years. I clearly get the best response when people can see what I'm doing vs. just seeing my face and not seeing much of what I'm doing. I notice that at an organ concert, if the venue can do it (if the organ is movable), they usually position it so that the organist is facing AWAY from the audience, but the audience can see his hands, feet, the organ keyboards, etc. Same for pianists - usually the piano is placed to try to give at least some of the audience a view of the pianist "in action" at the keyboard.

Probably "key" in this, is that I don't sing - if I sang, of course I'd want the audience to see my face as I sing. But since I'm playing only, I usually angle the setup so they can see me play. Of course, between songs I often turn toward them, face them, as I talk about a next song or get them involved in the 'show' via some comments, introducing a sing-along, etc.

I'm curious about how others handle this aspect of performing ...
-Jim

#393712 - 09/24/14 11:24 AM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: jimlaing]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'm not an entertainer, but several things have worked for me over the years....at least they have helped keep me working.

First,. for years, I had a wall of instruments on my house gigs. the group was a B-3 player, drummer and me. I did all singing ans instrumental solos.

Instruments included Nylon string, mandolin, banjo (tenor), telecaster, double neck Mosrite, Guild Jazz, vibes, steel string
and Wurlitzer piano.

Depending on the crowd, I'd change instruments frequently; mostly for show. When Glen Campbell had Southern Nights, I'd use an electric 12 string for that. I did Pieces of April (Three dog Night) with a 335 through a 127RV Leslie. I did a lot of Joe Maphis solos on double-neck. I did all Feliciano tunes and Sergio Mendez tunes on nylon string.

Vibes were for recognizable Hampton and Berton tunes. Wrlitzer was used for pop tunes by Ray Charles and others (What'd I Say...pure Wirlitzer on the intro).

Even now, many people know me as the guy who played all the instruments.

While that's not possible with one nighters, I still have jazz, nylon and hibred (piezo and magnetic pick-ups)guitars on stage; usually three keyboards, and adjust the mix so lots of musicians come to see me to check out the equipment, which, because of age (mine) are now collectibles.

One od the few benefits of getting old!

R.

#393723 - 09/24/14 02:21 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Jim, when I had a three tier rig, I did the same thing. And, I believe that those using a B3 or a piano, especially an upright, had the same wall between them and the audience. With my current rig, that's not a problem. And anyone standing, or dancing within 15 feet of me can see it's really me playing those keys, but sometimes I doubt that they even notice. Either position, maintaining eye contact with the audience is of paramount importance, at least I believe this is the case. It's that eye contact that connects you to them.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#393724 - 09/24/14 02:22 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

that glass scares the crap out of me....
if it spills that is it ...yikes!!! stop

on another note its amazing how we all play and perform so differently on stage.....

1- I couldn't sit that high.

2- I could never use a headset mic.

3- You know how I feel about using a Bose of any kind.

4- At least we have three things in common...
S-950.......Laptop.....and good looks! cool2

Edited by Dnj (09/24/14 02:28 PM)

#393728 - 09/24/14 02:36 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

The glass was only there for a few seconds while the photo was being taken. I had just picked it up for a sip, when the lady came up to take the photo. Normally, the only thing on that shelf is the tip box. That was at the Raven Inn Restaurant where I've been filling in for a friend who is having some health problems.

As for the stool, I modified it with a thick, larger, more comfortable seat and backrest, and the height isn't really that high, but it's well above the keyboard so the ladies can oogle me. wink

I love that headset mic, and would never go back to a handheld. You keep saying that it blocks my face, but in reality the head of the headset mic is a fraction of the size of your handheld mic, so more of your face is being blocked than mine.

As for the Bose, no one that owns and uses one cares how you feel about them - WE LOVE OUR BOSE SYSTEMS! wink

Cheers

Gary cool

#393729 - 09/24/14 02:40 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Gary carry on........you da man!
please don't retire from music anytime soon....we need ya deep in the trenches every day baby!!!
As for me I wanna play at my own funeral dammmmiittt!!!

#393733 - 09/24/14 03:11 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj

What song would you play? Probably not 'Feeling good'.

smile

chas

#393734 - 09/24/14 03:15 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: cgiles

What song would you play? Probably not 'Feeling good'.
smile
chas

Hey, chas ... maybe he WOULD be !!! party ... we won't know 'till we get there ...

#393736 - 09/24/14 03:24 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

"Prop Me Up Besides the Jukebox When I Die"!

#393737 - 09/24/14 03:35 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: cgiles]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
"Stayin Alive" I have three more gigs today!!!

Jerryghr

#393745 - 09/24/14 04:34 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

Hey, chas ... maybe he WOULD be !!!

I doubt it; not unless he likes a REAL warm environment smile smile.

chas

#393749 - 09/24/14 06:03 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: guitpic1]
124 Offline

It'll be an mp3 for sure.:)

#393754 - 09/24/14 06:25 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: guitpic1]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Gary I need one of those signs for my set up. To hide chords ect. It would look good on stage. RJ

#393768 - 09/25/14 05:44 AM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: musicforyourday]
Dnj Offline

Gary "Mr Wizard" hooked me up with that same sign and shelf years ago!! cool2

Looks great on stage.. keys

Attachments
941227_10151740661892650_1303023836_n.jpg

#393778 - 09/25/14 07:51 AM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Ron, I custom made the sign/console many years ago. I posted the instructions on how to make them at the PSR-Tutorial site http://www.psrtutorial.com/music/projects/laptop.htm

Gary cool

#393784 - 09/25/14 08:55 AM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: Fran Carango]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
No one ever said I didn't look good on stage smile

I think it is a great idea to play guitar while your wife plays the Tyros..

Fran ... I had to look 5 times before I saw YOU in that photo ... laugh2

#393785 - 09/25/14 08:59 AM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Played for our parish picnic on Sunday ... didn't want to push my Podium 10s to try to cover a big field so I borrowed a friends EONs ... great sound, plenty of coverage ...
And special thanks to Gary for the hat ...

Attachments
Playing the Parish picnic.JPG (75 downloads)

#393786 - 09/25/14 09:01 AM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Fran was in the photo? wink

Gary cool

#393823 - 09/26/14 08:43 AM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: travlin'easy]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Gary (from comment a while back in this thread) ... thanks for your comments and great photo of you at your rig! I should have added to my post that I do the "not facing the audience, let them see me play" thing when I'm doing "concert-style" events, which is over ~50% of my gigs. For those "concert" style gigs, the audience is all seated and all "facing forward" (toward me); not standing.

When I'm playing a party, dinner, dance, those sorts of things, I angle my rig so that I can face the people (often at a 45º angle rather than straight at them) ...
and when it's my band playing the party and not just me "solo", of course, all of us are facing the audience ... it's only the solo, concert-style gigs where I do the "organist" style of rig placement ...

-Jim

#393939 - 09/29/14 12:58 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

The hat looks good on ya, Tony. I just knew you would like it. smile

Gary cool

#393962 - 09/30/14 09:07 AM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: travlin'easy]
KORG80 Offline

Hey Tony,
I see your PA 900 is the same colour as my PA 80. All the 900's I've seen have been black. Great pic of you at the parish gig!

God Bless,
Don

#393963 - 09/30/14 10:13 AM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: KORG80]
tony mads usa Offline

Don ... Thank you ... it was a lot of fun ...
where have you seen BLACK Pa900 ? ... the Pa600 is black ... I wish the 900 was also ...

Edited by tony mads usa (09/30/14 10:16 AM)

#393974 - 09/30/14 01:26 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

pa900 us dark grey. I like it.

#393976 - 09/30/14 01:37 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Played for our parish picnic on Sunday ... didn't want to push my Podium 10s to try to cover a big field so I borrowed a friends EONs ... great sound, plenty of coverage ...

Tony your a cool dude looking good mon cool2 ......
did you also take any videos of the gig?????

#393993 - 09/30/14 03:22 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

No vids, Donny ... I was busy playing, and Lydia was busy socializing ... grin

#393995 - 09/30/14 04:04 PM Re: The visual part of the performance... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

No vids, Donny ... I was busy playing, and Lydia was busy socializing ... grin

ok T. maybe next time.. thanx

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online