SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#39333 - 01/10/04 08:19 PM kn7000 particulars ......
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hello all,
I used the 7k tonight and last night as a soloist, and here's my latest obstacle:
Aside from writing custom sound and styles in a separate folder, is there ANY way to look through different folders while a rhythm is playing, WITHOUT triggering the sound or rhythm in that newly viewed folder?

If that's not clear, I'll elaborate.

I'm playing an 8 beat with an Electric Piano sound, and during the song I want to search for a new beat to swith to, WITHOUT stoping the song. Maybe I want a rumba, maybe a shuffle, but neither one is in that 8 beat folder. When I start to push catagory buttons, as soon as the new folder is selected, the last pattern(sound) is automatically activated. That screws up my current song style or sound. I need to plan ahead while I'm playing, and I can't have tones or rhythms change while I decide what to do next. Any ideas, Oh Techie gurus???

This will be one of the last big problems I have. The kn has been working out very well this week, and I'm very optimistic about it's longevity on my stage.

I still think the weaknesses are:
mic input
drum sounds
SD access

All of these can be overcome with my laptop and a rack with the harmonizer installed.

Also - it seems that the "aux" inputs are NOT fed to the line outputs, while the "line ins" are. Does that sound right to you other owners? I guess thay are trying to give you a monitor in that can be a click track or some other signal that does not need further amplification. Weird, but it CAN be useful too.

#39334 - 01/11/04 03:37 AM Re: kn7000 particulars ......
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Uncle Dave, With Yamaha, you press once to see the selection, then once more to select the style. Not so with the KN.
1-You have favorites (right side of keyboard) four banks of nine, to place your most used rhythms.
2-You can use the Panel memory in expanded mode to select 104 different set ups/ styles that are your most used.

When I worked with Yamaha I found it frustrating because I was trying to use my KN knowledge to operate the Yamaha keybord. Begin to interpret the Kn's method of handling a job--it's there.

Happy playing, John C.

#39335 - 01/11/04 08:54 AM Re: kn7000 particulars ......
technicsplayer Offline

in detail, you could use the Favorites to save preferred rhythms in permanent flash memory. You have 36 slots on 4 pages with bank naming to enable advance previewing the next rhythm while you are still playing. These settings can be saved to SD on their own, and will only take a second to load.

Alternatively prepare the 13 banks of panel memory with your most used pattern+registration setups including naming all bank and memory descriptions to identify them and save just panel memory set to ALL to SD. Load at beginning of set, now while still playing you can scroll panel memory bank view page 3 or 2 to advance preview the upcoming setup you require by pressing the bank button. The 104 memories should be enough for a set, considering the next 104 will only take one second to load from SD, while you sip a drink or say a thankyou. If you save both the ALL panel memory banks and the Favorites together they will still only take a second to load the next batch of multiple banks of setups.

By using both you can play full registrations in the panel memories and preview the next full setup in advance while continuing to play using the panel memory bank or memory view... or preview the next change in rhythm only in advance without changing the right hand sounds while playing by using the favorites. Or you could filter the rhythm selection out of the panel memory registrations, just using them for right hand registrations keeping the last rhythm selected until you change it with the favorites.

#39336 - 01/12/04 07:37 AM Re: kn7000 particulars ......
Uncle Dave Offline

Thanx guys ..... great food for thought. I wish it was simpler, but there IS a workaround. My latest "peeve" is the sunken keypad. I realize the flip top neccessitates this, but try to do a trill on A-C in the highest register without your unused fingers(pinky area) banging into the sides. Weird idea, don'tcha think?

#39337 - 01/12/04 12:16 PM Re: kn7000 particulars ......
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Simple Simon sat in a corner playing his KN seven. I wish it was simple and I think it’s got a pimple so I’ll pick it with my pinky.

Also could be weird fingering or weird hands. In any event, the whipping boy will soon be gone and the hunt will start for another.

Old Gramps is sad and Grandma Ruth don't know what to do with him. Oh well, such is life.

Anyway Unc, all is not sunk, just stay with the boat and and I’m sure you will float. Just remember the keypad has sunk but if you sink before you learn, you will bloat.

Oh, man oh man, am I sad. Cee’s, please post some sad music on your thing.

Just one more thought. Gone is the seven but still there is heaven. I still got some fight so I’ll set my sight, upward, to that light. Gee, I feel a little better already.

Grandpa Doug is signing off now but looking forward to the next peeve.

#39338 - 01/14/04 11:45 AM Re: kn7000 particulars ......
Uncle Dave Offline

Man, oh man ..... I used to look forward to your posts and replies Douggie, but please ..... give up the rhyming, and go back to the old way of amusing your self at my expense !

#39339 - 01/14/04 03:51 PM Re: kn7000 particulars ......
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Sorry Dave but I guess the dumps is where I have been residing this week. Your right. A poet I’m not. I’m giving up the rhyming so here is what I’m going to do. This is a new year and by George your going to see a new Douggie. This boy is going to change. Believe me! No more amusing myself at your or anybody elses’ expense. That is really not good. In-fact, no more picking on Ruthie even. I started that new thing with her about a week ago. She hasn’t said anything so far except that she seems puzzled and kind of looks at me in a strange way. So Dave, if you can try out the KN on the job for a time, then I should be able to try out something new myself. Like you, you try something for a while, evaluate it, and go from there, never backward, all the time saying it like you see it. I like that! Guess one is never too old to learn. Thanks for the lesson.

So Dave, seeing no one else commented on your post of 1/12/04 let me see what you think of my new style. Quote: “Great food for thought. I wish it was simpler, but there IS a workaround”. Workaround? I would say the operating system is different than you are used to. The KN system is simple to us who know it’s ways and fast and efficient to use. I would venture to say faster and easier than most. Now as far as the recessed keyboard goes, I would not say weird but different than others. I tried that A&C trill you suggested for awhile and did not bang any finger on the side. Then again maybe the way we hold our hands could be different. In fact I hang around with much better players than myself and they also never expressed any difficulty. So Dave I really don’t see any problem at all.

So Dave, what do you think? Is that any better coming out of old Douggie? What da you think? Dave, I really do appreciate your straightforwardness. To show you I mean what I say it will be just plain Doug rather than Grandpa Doug. I feel younger already!

Let’s all have a better year than even the last one.

Doug

#39340 - 01/14/04 04:40 PM Re: kn7000 particulars ......
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi there (Grandpa) Doug !

Quote "In-fact, no more picking on Ruthie even. I started that new thing with her about a week ago. She hasn’t said anything so far except that she seems puzzled and kind of looks at me in a strange way."
Maybe she is thinking 'Is this the calm before the storm' ???
Belated Happy New Year to you and Ruthie

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#39341 - 01/14/04 08:22 PM Re: kn7000 particulars ......
Uncle Dave Offline

Hee heee, that famous sense of humor is back ! I'll buy into your "different vs. weird" correlation .... just this once, but technique aside .... the walls really do hinder certain fingering positions. It comes up every now and then, but not all that often.
My use of the word "workaround" is my way of saying that our differences can be adapted to, with some compromises.
I've surprised myself a bit these last weeks, and I am starting to think that I can actually USE this kn7k till I decide not to.It has no serious drawbacks that hinder my performance, and in fact - the spund system greatly enhances it, so for now ....
I'm a techie .......

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online