SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#393183 - 09/13/14 05:48 PM Using an arranger with a bad rotator cuff.
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
As luck would have it, my damaged rotator cuff is on my right shoulder.

I thought I'd break out an arranger and try to use intros and endings, and no intro/lead lines or other activities involving my right hand.

The result was so far from acceptable that I can't imagine what I was thinking. Same with using any pre-recorded materials and singing over them. I simply can't tolerate that kind of activity, for me, as a musician or as a member of the audience....AWFUL!

Not for me.

Using an arranger for a drum track and an occasional bass line, with foot initiated breaks is fine.

At an acceptable level, I can play my own intros, lead lines, solos, etc., with MY STAMP on them.

Usually, I also use my left hand for playing bass. That leaves no question that the music is substantially live and allows medleys, modulations...all kinds of fun..."on the fly" things to happen whenever they are called for.

I'm not saying my way is best...in fact, I was looking for a way to work through surgery and recovery.

I'm saying that this is not the answer for me.

The alternative is an extended break and recovery period, hoping I'd eventually heal enough to get back to work.

To maintain my sense of accomplishment and avoid embarrassment, that's what I'll have to do.

OUCH!

R.

Edited by captain Russ (09/13/14 05:50 PM)

#393184 - 09/13/14 06:51 PM Re: Using an arranger with a bad rotator cuff. [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
That's too bad it (the arranger) isn't working out for you, Russ...as it has been said here many times, "They ain't for everybody!"

I come from a background of many years of piano (and Rhodes) and organ with bass pedals, and I had to change my approach quite a bit to get used to playing the arranger, especially the left hand chording.

For me, using an arranger gave me an edge over the many piano soloist and guitar singles, as what I was doing was a bit different, and, I put a lot of time into it to make it acceptable, at least to my own ears.

I never use the canned intros in the styles...I essentially take the stock intro, and edit so that I can play chords over it, and I always edit Intro I to give a stop/fill rather than have to use a pedal to stop (at a turnaround, perhaps).

Having said all that, I know several other pro keyboard players (mainly piano players) who just can't get their heads around the different approach needed to use an arranger, no matter how hard they try, so, if it's any consolation, you are not alone.

Rehab is tough (and slow at our age), especially where you have the problems, due to how much you need that area for playing.

I hope you can come up with a solution or workaround, or maybe someone else can suggest one?

Ian

#393188 - 09/13/14 08:10 PM Re: Using an arranger with a bad rotator cuff. [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Russ ... I am sorry I cannot offer a solution, but I will extend my very best wishes for a rapid and complete recovery ... and DO THE THERAPY !!!

#393243 - 09/15/14 06:02 AM Re: Using an arranger with a bad rotator cuff. [Re: captain Russ]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Hi Russ, don't have the answer for ya but I had rotator cuff surgery over ten years ago. I had trouble coming back from it, did it exactly as the doc and rehab said but I kept hurting it golfing (as they directed). I finally totally quit golf for a few years and it finally pretty much healed. Still gives me a little trouble now and then but not too bad. I did take up golf again a few years ago but I couldn't beat DonM after being used to scratch golf, and that was too much to take, so, I quit again. I might start playing again but if I can't eventually beat him, I'm taking up bowling.

#393251 - 09/15/14 08:24 AM Re: Using an arranger with a bad rotator cuff. [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You better dust off that bowling ball old man. You can't beat me without getting off your butt!
My handicap has gone for 3 to 9, so you'd better get me now if you're up to it, cause I'm on the way back!

#393255 - 09/15/14 08:51 AM Re: Using an arranger with a bad rotator cuff. [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Russ, most individuals do not recover well from rotator cuff surgery, and of all those I know that had the surgery, most took at least two years before they felt semi normal again. It's a lousy surgical procedure at best, and despite the surgeons telling everyone that it cannot get better on it's own, I, personally, know of at least a dozen people that opted to forgo the surgery and did recover on their own, often in less than 6 months. This included myself. I tore my rotator cuff while splitting firewood with an 8-pound splitting maul. I opted to not have the surgery and I was just fine a year later. The surgeon, who is also a good friend and fishing buddy, said he was amazed that it healed, then said maybe he misdiagnosed the injury. I don't think he made a bad diagnosis, and I believe that this injury can heal without surgical intervention.

Good luck, and get well soon, Russ.

Don, you shouldn't pick on Billy that way - he's an old man now and semi in-firmed. Even with a 9 handicap, I think I might have a shot at beating you in golf, but it would have to be at a course where the temperature and humidity are not both in the upper 90s. And, I would have to ride in your golf cart. I don't think I could hoof it for 18 holes anymore. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#393257 - 09/15/14 08:57 AM Re: Using an arranger with a bad rotator cuff. [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Russ, most individuals do not recover well from rotator cuff surgery, and of all those I know that had the surgery, most took at least two years before they felt semi normal again. It's a lousy surgical procedure at best, and despite the surgeons telling everyone that it cannot get better on it's own, I, personally, know of at least a dozen people that opted to forgo the surgery and did recover on their own, often in less than 6 months. This included myself. I tore my rotator cuff while splitting firewood with an 8-pound splitting maul. I opted to not have the surgery and I was just fine a year later. The surgeon, who is also a good friend and fishing buddy, said he was amazed that it healed, then said maybe he misdiagnosed the injury. I don't think he made a bad diagnosis, and I believe that this injury can heal without surgical intervention.

Good luck, and get well soon, Russ.

Don, you shouldn't pick on Billy that way - he's an old man now and semi in-firmed. Even with a 9 handicap, I think I might have a shot at beating you in golf, but it would have to be at a course where the temperature and humidity are not both in the upper 90s. And, I would have to ride in your golf cart. I don't think I could hoof it for 18 holes anymore. wink

Gary cool

hey while you old guys try to play golf... coffee
I'll be in the pool with a Margarita in hand enjoying the ladies view... wink

#393260 - 09/15/14 09:10 AM Re: Using an arranger with a bad rotator cuff. [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Russ ... My wife had rotator cuff surgery and it went very well ... it also did not take her anywhere near two years to be better ...
I know you will, but make sure you have a doc who does the surgery often - not just a couple of times a month - and carefully follow the post-op physical therapy instructions, and most important, instructions on what you should NOT do ...
Best wishes ...

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

Even with a 9 handicap, I think I might have a shot at beating you in golf, but it would have to be at a course where the temperature and humidity are not both in the upper 90s. And, I would have to ride in your golf cart. I don't think I could hoof it for 18 holes anymore. wink
Gary cool

Now that's a match I would PAY to see !!!

#393261 - 09/15/14 09:12 AM Re: Using an arranger with a bad rotator cuff. [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj

hey while you old guys try to play golf... coffee
I'll be in the pool with a Margarita in hand enjoying the ladies view... wink

... now THAT sounds more like Gary ... laugh2

#393272 - 09/15/14 10:05 AM Re: Using an arranger with a bad rotator cuff. [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Gary, bring a sackful of money and we'll play. I'll give you a shot a hole and play left-handed.
smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online