SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#39316 - 07/24/06 05:30 PM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
Kennykay Offline

Loc: London, UK
Dear Technicsplayer

Thanks so very much for the 6 files you emailed to me. However, I am having problems using the files. I really don't know where - if its the case - I'm going wrong. Or could it be that the files were not emailed in the correct format.

As you instructed, I double-clicked on each of the files and saved each of them onto a floppy disk. I must mention that each of them saved as .imz file just as you emailed them. But when I insert disk one onto my Kn7, hold down panel memory 1,2,3,4 at the same time and switch on, the keyboard simply comes on normally. There is no opportunity showing for me to press checkdsk as you instructed. And as soon as the keyboard comes on normally, nothing else happens.

I thought maybe the files were not saved properly, and I went back, double-clicked each again and re-saved each of them on floppy disks - and still the same result - with the Kn7 just coming on normally when switched on while holding down panel meory 1,2,3,4. I thought maybe I should save each of them as .exe file. I did that, and tried each of them again following your instruction and nothing happens.

Please may I know if they are suppoed to be zip files which need to be extracted. Or as mentioned above, could it be that they were not emailed to me in the correct format. And if so, could you kindly resend them to me in the correct format, please.

Thank you.

Kenny

#39317 - 07/25/06 04:11 AM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

the exe was removed by a server even though it was in a zip. Rename to exe and try again

#39318 - 07/25/06 09:36 AM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Wow Kenny, I tried to duplicate your problem and just couldn't quite do it. First I went into Technichord and switched Right 1 to block then on to the mixer, page 5, and ran the key shift down to a -12. Then I went back to the keyboard and listened to the nasty sound it produced, but it was awful through the three octave range I use for my right hand playing, and not just a one octave range in the middle. Tell ya what, if the advice Alex gave you doesn't help, you may need to go over your keyboard step by step, page by page to find out what isn't working. I would imagine a reset to default settings would do the trick, but apparently that isn't working. Try contacting whoever you got the keyboard from and see if they had the same problem. Maybe they just got rid of a lemon. One thing you may want to try out is to load in a style from a disk and see if it plays okay. If it does, then contact the forum again and your problem will probably get resolved. This place is good for that!

#39319 - 07/26/06 06:35 AM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
Kennykay Offline

Dear Bud

Thanks for your posted suggestions and concern. I shall try any suggestion that can help resolve my disturbing experience with my Kn7.

What you can do for me, please - chose any of the rhthym accompaniments (say 16bt) and for the R1 voicing choose say Fantasia from PAD. Press the APC button to turn it on and press START. Under the APC mode, press the button and set all three modes to ON (i.e. Basic, Fingered, etc.) and move back the highliter to BASIC mode. With all this set, play any song on Key C to accompany the rhthym accompaniment. And with your left hand playing the three-chord keys under C i.e. C, F and G, try at the same time to play with your right hand and check the sounds you get from playing any of the 12 notes starting from the Middle C note upwards. With my KN7, those notes sound so very deep, you seldom hear them when the accompaniment is on with the APC switched on and the left hand is used to play the CFG keys at the lower end. But if you play any of the notes (after the 12th note from Middle C), they sound clear and OK. Also, if you switch off the APC button - with the rhthym accompaniment still going on, those same 12 notes from the Middle C sound very clear. You could please go through this carefully and check it out for me on your own KN7.

The other thing is that could you let me know what your equalizer settings are so I could try replicating that on my KN7 to be sure it is not from that setting.

In the meantime, if there is a Forum member in London who can provide me with their email address< I could contact them and arrange to meet up with my KN7 and check out theirs alongside mine to determine the cause of the porblem I am having.

Thanks so much.

Kenny

#39320 - 07/26/06 06:49 AM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
Kennykay Offline

Dear Technicsplayer

Thank you very much for all your help. I received the files you sent and followed the instructions you gave, and I was able to upgrade my KN7 to version 1.6. You have been very patient and kind. And I am grateful to you and to all the members of this Forum.

I am still battling with the problem of the deep and bassy sound around the Middle C area of my KN7 when the APC button is switched on. I am willing to try a number of things to find the solution to the problem. If it was a hardware or system problem, I suppose the upgrade process would have detected it. It may be that the original owner went through some settings that I am currently unable to figure out - although I wonder if that could be the case. This is so because even when I initialise the keyboad, and proceed to make my playing selections and start playing,I still experience the same thing very deep bassy sounds around the Middle C area.

If everything else fails, I may have to seek to meet up with some Forum member here in London who has a KN7 and who may be willing to help, so that I can check out mine alongside that persons.

Again, thanks for being so wonderful. And if you have further suggestions that might help me to solve this problem, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Regards.

Kenny

#39321 - 07/26/06 07:56 AM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

you're very welcome.

I'm still not clear what the exact problem is whether the right hand voice or the balance in the accompaniment... but you could try this:

1 Initialise the 7k
2 choose 16Bt standard
3 press and hold one touch play
4 the split point should be C3 as seen on the keyboard (middle led)
5 choose fantasia as the R1 voice
6 don't start the rhythm
7 play C3 to C4 as seen on keyboard and the sound will be too low, this is normal because you can easily run out of notes playing this far down
8 play C4 to C5, this is a more natural range for this voice and is the intended playing area
9 switch off APC and the voice moves down the keyboard an octave, ie the same keys play an octave higher.

this is a design intention and does not constitute a fault. APC will shift the octave of the right hand automatically on some voices to make the pitch in the playing area more useful, it depends on the setup and voice chosen. If the R1 voice is too low and you want to play in that area of keyboard that is what the R1/R2 octave shift is for.

#39322 - 07/26/06 03:31 PM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Sorry Kenny, still couldn't duplicate your problem. The sounds were lower, but not obnoxious. More like what Alex told you to expect. My equalizer settings are usually factory default and change only when I need to tweak a sound or another style load forces a change. You didn't say if a loaded style made any difference.

#39323 - 07/26/06 05:01 PM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
Buddy Offline

Hi technicsplayer

I am a new forum member. I've been following the posted notes on this forum and realize that you have been very helpful to members and that you have very good knowledge of the KN7. Thats nice of you indeed.

Could you or anyone please help. I have some of the original preset rhythms of KN5000. I loaded one of it - Soul Rock on our KN7, but when I hit play, it sounds very funny and rough on the KN7 whereas that rhythmn sounds beautiful and smooth on the KN5000. Do you have an idea why this is so. If you have the KN5000 or if you have the original Soul Rock rhythm file from KN5000, you could load it on your KN7 and check this please. It doesn't sound as good and smooth on the KN7 as on the KN5000.

I also observe that some of the KN7 rhythms when you play them they are not smooth; their timing is a bit rough compared to the rhythms on the KN5000 which we are trying to discard. And I am now hesitating.

Kindly help and clarify these points, please. Are there any particular settings to make all these sound better with correct timing? Appreciate your kind suggestions.

Buddy

#39324 - 07/26/06 05:23 PM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
Buddy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Buddy:
Hi technicsplayer

I am a new forum member. I've been following the posted notes on this forum and realize that you have been very helpful to members and that you have very good knowledge of the KN7. Thats nice of you indeed.

Could you or anyone please help. I have some of the original preset rhythms of KN5000. I loaded one of it - Soul Rock on our KN7, but when I hit play, it sounds very funny and rough on the KN7 whereas that rhythmn sounds beautiful and smooth on the KN5000. Do you have an idea why this is so. If you have the KN5000 or if you have the original Soul Rock rhythm file from KN5000, you could load it on your KN7 and check this please. It doesn't sound as good and smooth on the KN7 as on the KN5000. To test it out please try playing this rhythm under Variation No. 2 and with the Auto Accomp turned on.

With the advanced features of the KN7 I thought that the rhythms from previous models eg. the KN5000 will sound much better or at least the same on the KN7. But this one that I tested doesn't sound as nice on the KN7 as on the KN5000.

I also observe that some of the KN7 rhythms when you play them they are not smooth; their timing is a bit rough compared to the rhythms on the KN5000 which we are trying to discard. And I am now hesitating.

Kindly help and clarify these points, please. Are there any particular settings to make all these sound better with correct timing? Appreciate your kind suggestions.

Buddy

#39325 - 07/28/06 03:12 AM Re: Correct Setting of My KN7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Buddy and welcome to the Forum

Some of the styles from previous KN series do require 'tweaking' to operate successfully on the KN7000.
Before the demise of Technics Musical Division, there was a website which included all the built-in styles from the previous KN series (KN2000,3000,5000,6x00) available for free download. All these styles had been edited (tweaked) to make them more compatible with the KN7000 and I believe this mammoth task was undertaken by 'technicsplayer'
Unfortunately, the website no longer exists but you can download the complete set of these styles from my website: http://www.willumspages.co.uk/page8.html They are in SD Card Backup (.SDB) format and you will need an SD card with minimum capacity of 64MB and a suitable card reader/writer. The file transfer can be carried out using your KN7000 and the USB link, but the process will take a very long time, using this method.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online