SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#392267 - 08/27/14 03:28 PM JBL 515XT earned their pay today
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I played our Vet's home today...played about an hour and a half. I wasn't sure how many would show so I brought both JBL's along. Played the Tyros 4.

Crowd was small due to several activities going on, maybe 50..men and women, most Korean War era...a few earlier.

Volume was set around 50% for both JBL's; EQ flat.

I was pleased with the sound of the JBL's. They seemed very warm and I got several compliments from the audience on the show...including nice compliments from the folks who scheduled the gig.

I thought about bringing both Bose Compacts; or perhaps one Bose Compact but when I A/B'd the Bose and JBL(at home mind you)..the Bose came across a bit more...what's the word...harsh?

In any case, for the $700 I paid for two 515XT's, and the weight each, they've earned a place in the PA stable.

Thought I would share. My wife and I play a duo next month at the same place...decided already on the JBL's.

Still am a Bose believer, but am also going to use the one HK Nano 300(we have) in a small group setting before I make any decisions re: Bose vs HK.

Finally, why all the hoopla re: PA systems? I found out years ago; if the crowd is of any size, the PA becomes most of the sound...good or bad.

Take care all.

Rog

#392287 - 08/28/14 05:47 AM Re: JBL 515XT earned their pay today [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I'm very happy with mine also. I would love to always be in stereo but for a lot of situations one speaker handles the job well. For the money its a steal deal. Glad I waited with my shopping.
I'm also looking at the 510's for a small stereo practice setup and monitors for the big rig. Got a great price on those too as I belive they're also about to be discontinued.

Good luck with yours.

#392288 - 08/28/14 06:07 AM Re: JBL 515XT earned their pay today [Re: guitpic1]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
It's always great to have different selections when it comes to PA.

The Yamaha DXR10 in stereo is the way to go for our duo. It's simple... Cost vs power available for different gigs vs transport and setup ease. I can't justify the bigger Bose system due to cost alone. I have 6 powered speakers which only cost me the same price it would be to buy the Bose L1 Model 1S with B2 Bass Module and T1 ToneMatch Audio Engine. Now I have the ability to run sound for a smaller band, big duo gigs with monitors, even sound reinforcement for a local wrestling company.

Enjoy the JBLs... For smaller gigs, you could use just one. You'll have a lot of flexibility!!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#392294 - 08/28/14 08:00 AM Re: JBL 515XT earned their pay today [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
The DXR's were my first choice but what held me up was the price and weight. The stereo link function, mixer and Yamaha reliability all get high marks from me. But I have to start being realistic. The situation I'm in here is giving me limited income from music so when the JBL's went on sale I went for them. Even they were no necessary as my current stuff wold keep doing the job but sometimes you just gotta get something new and I'm glad I did.
The Jbl's are also more versitile for me. No sub needed for now. They can handle anything I do.

#392367 - 08/29/14 12:22 PM Re: JBL 515XT earned their pay today [Re: Bill Lewis]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
It's good to have a lot of choices of good sound systems.

The JBL 515's were my first JBL speakers. I've owned about every other brand I can think of.

Yamaha DXR's are wonderful sounding speakers but heavy to haul around for me. The DXR10's are the same weight as the JBL 515's. However, the DXR10's are also 1,100 watts of power.

Thing is, I'm finding I don't need that much power for the smaller groups I play for.

My next move is to try out the HK Nano 300 in a gig, which I haven't done yet. They are lighter than the Bose Compacts I have.

On another note.

As far as weight goes, I toy with the idea of gigging with my Yamaha PSR S950 over the Tyros 4.

So far, the Tyros has won out each time. So the Tyros is in good stead right now.

What's next? I don't know?

Maybe a $39.95 boombox from Walmart...that seems to keep a lot of folks happy. smile

Take care all.

smile

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online