SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#3917 - 08/12/03 01:52 PM I got zapped by a virus
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Incase you haven't heard the news, there's a virus that got released on Monday (yesterday) that attacks computers with Windows 2000, XP or NT.

Guess who was lucky enough to get zapped???

Anyway, it's called the Blaster Worm and it's TOTALLY running riot across the world as we speak.

When you get this thing, it makes your computer constantly restart and it's a generally a real pain in the ass.

There is a patch available from the Microsoft site that is meant to stop your computer from getting hit. I strongly recommend Windows users to consider downloading the patch if they haven't already done so. It could save you going through the same nightmare that I've been through.

Just thought I'd let you know.

#3918 - 08/12/03 02:54 PM Re: I got zapped by a virus
Jupitar5 Offline

Loc: United States
It's not always possible to add the patch that is required (see below) with only connection for 60 seconds or so (even with broadband)

Follow these instructions to the letter, and you should be sorted: (Win XP I'm on BTW)

Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services, highlight the RPC service, right click, select properties, select the recovery tab, then change all three options to "Take No Action Service" as opposed to "Restart PC.
After you have the patch here do the above again and set it back to it's defaults.

Also, when you've finished this, I would advise you to add this patch: FixBlast

Tony

#3919 - 08/12/03 04:24 PM Re: I got zapped by a virus
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Quote:
Originally posted by Jupitar5:
It's not always possible to add the patch that is required (see below) with only connection for 60 seconds or so (even with broadband)

That's a good point Tony!

It took me several attempts before I was lucky enough to get the download. If I'd known that information earlier it could've saved me a lot of heartache.

#3920 - 08/12/03 08:06 PM Re: I got zapped by a virus
tekminus Offline

The patch has been available for nearly a month. Delete msblaster.exe and go get the patch from Windows update.

-tek

#3921 - 08/13/03 08:59 AM Re: I got zapped by a virus
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good thing for me I am useing Windows 98. Plus my ISP server has an antivirus filter to catch virus's in email plus I have Norton Antivirus with Fire wall protection.

#3922 - 08/13/03 12:43 PM Re: I got zapped by a virus
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
YES...I've had it. Thankfully not had another problem since downloading and running FixBlaster.exe from www.symantic.com
I have WinXP and use zone-alarm & Norton Antivirus but it still got through...so don't think you are safe from it. Downloadload the cure and have it handy otherwise you won't have time to download it if it striks .

The lunatic responible could have basically stopped the world.

Graham UK

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 08-13-2003).]

#3923 - 08/17/03 11:34 PM Re: I got zapped by a virus
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Do yourself a B I G favor - GET A MAC!
If you're doing music STAY AWAY FROM "WINDOWS". I mean, the latency is just horrible. Press a key and two days later you hear a sound. And that's with 2ghz PCs. Even a four-year old MAC does a better job. And there aren't any real viruses for a MAC, so you don't have to worry about getting "Zapped".

#3924 - 08/18/03 12:06 PM Re: I got zapped by a virus
tekminus Offline

You could just visit Windows update every month and save yourself a fortune.

-tek

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online