SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#391356 - 08/01/14 09:04 AM wireless mics on the same channel,,,
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'm starting to support the drama club at the school where I sponsor the guitar club. They need additional wireless microphones. The current ones are CAD model GXLV. Thers is a model GXL-2 that looks the same, but comes with two channels and headsets.

My question is, will there be a problem running, say 6 wireless mics of the same brand and maybe the same channel? Will they cancel each other? I have only seen CAD drum mics before.

Not my preference, but they already have two, and seem to work fine.

I'll need to buy a small 4 channel mixer, also, and a rack of some kind to contain the pieces.

Help, please with the cancellation issue. It's a major problem at trade shows with different systems.

Russ

#391360 - 08/01/14 01:48 PM Re: wireless mics on the same channel,,, [Re: captain Russ]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Russ,
The wireless frequencies are a bugger to harness. Our school bought 16 mics 2 years ago, and before we made the purchase, my tech researched what other cyber activity this area used. He found out the police, fire and major cell providers and other potential threats to signal clarity before selecting the channels used for our setup. The simple rules are these:
1) all mics need to be on a different channel if you want independent control at the desk (mixer)
2) it is advisable that mics have alternate channels available in case of interference (ours have 10 selectable frequencies)
3) mics running parallel in the same channels should not cancel each other out, but there will be no easy way to change volume between performers. If you need a simple, easy way to get 4-8 mics in a single channel ...
We also bought this unit .... for quick setups, and emergency additional mics. Seems like a good bet in your situation: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BSOW32/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's the part number in case the link fails:
Pyle-Pro Rack Mount 8 Channel Wireless Microphone System with 4 Lavalier/Headsets and 4 Handheld Mics (PDWM8700)

It got us out of a jam when my mixer was maxed out and I had to mic up 4 more kids in the cast. Good luck!

#391369 - 08/01/14 03:28 PM Re: wireless mics on the same channel,,, [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You can have as many mics on the same channel as you wish, but you can only obtain independent control of the mics at the microphone itself under these circumstances. Most of the newer mics do not have interference problems from municipal and commercial areas, mainly because of the new FCC regulations that updated the frequencies a couple years ago. Most are not either 3G or 4G frequencies, and the range is very short, usually less than 100 feet at best.

You should not have any cancellation problems, despite the fact they are using the same frequency. However, if more than one person is singing or talking at the same time, this can produce some problems if the signal levels are not set identically.

Sounds like a can of worms to me,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#391375 - 08/01/14 07:25 PM Re: wireless mics on the same channel,,, [Re: Uncle Dave]
KORG80 Offline

Dave,

I checked out your link and that system was $218. I am shocked at that price. I would have thought more like $1,000.

God Bless,
Don

#391402 - 08/02/14 10:35 AM Re: wireless mics on the same channel,,, [Re: KORG80]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By: KORG80
Dave,

I checked out your link and that system was $218. I am shocked at that price. I would have thought more like $1,000.

God Bless,
Don

I know, right? It was a lifesaver for us - I developed the need on a Wednesday - Amazon had them on my doorstep first thing Thursday morning, and they were on stage and "on" by Friday morning at 10AM!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online