SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#38986 - 02/07/07 09:39 AM Notation software
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Folks , is it possible to buy notation software that will print out the sheet music from a mp3 file ??

Best regards .............Giovanni

#38987 - 02/07/07 10:39 AM Re: Notation software
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Giovanni, This is not an answer to your question, just a method of playing and extrating
lyrics from a midi file. I thought it might be of interest.

The VanBasco Program is a free down load. The program is able to make files, change keys, tempo, mute unwanted instruments and extract lyrics form the midi files. You can save your changes you make.

When the VanBasco is open there will lyrics displayed (if the file has the lyric properly recorded).

Right click on the lyric window and select COPY. Go to your word program and paste the lyrics. There are no chords just lyrics.

John C.
www.vanbasco.com

#38988 - 02/08/07 04:59 AM Re: Notation software
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Giovanni,
Unfortunately, the short answer to your question is No!

Successful conversion from an MP3, or any other digital audio format, to a MIDI file, from which you could then print out 'the dots', is not really feasible, unless the original source file is extremely simple - say a piano or flute just playing single notes. There are some 'programs' available on the internet which are supposed to be able to convert any audio recording to Midi format. Just out of interest, I've played with some of them and they produce what I can only term as Rubbish and are a total waste of time!!

Lets assume you have a recording of a group with say, a Piano, Bass, Drums, Saxophone and Trumpet and they are playing together. An Audio recording of this group will consist of a very complex sound wave. If it were possible to convert this sound to MIDI format, the program would have to be able to identify the information (actual note pitch, duration, loudness and which instrument) for each individual instrument and then extract and separate the information to individual MIDI tracks.
As far as I am aware, there is no program available which is capable of this type of extremely complex analysis, with the possible exception of the human ear and brain . Computers and their programs will have to go a very long way to even scratch the surface of our ear and brain cognitive abilities.

Imagine baking a cake from all the separate ingredients - butter, egg, flour, sugar etc. and then trying to get all the ingredients back again after it's baked........... Not a bad analogy ??

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#38989 - 02/08/07 09:38 AM Re: Notation software
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Willum , as always you can be relied upon to give the correct answer .

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to answer my question .

Best regards ............Giovanni

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online