SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#389563 - 06/08/14 01:38 AM Smies without keys
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Though I rarely perform outdoors due to chronic health problems I did a small gig last year at a houseparty. Rather then being lumbered with keyboard, guitar ,etc. I used prefab backing tracks,(karaoke tracks if you like). Afterwards I presented those present with a recording of these and here is a short compilatiotn of that virtual CD:
http://youtu.be/aoFuDN3bHPw

As to the discussion here on a few other threads about the future of the OMB arranger player I think we are definitely entering into a new era. First of all the top arranger keyboards ( PA3X, Tyros 5, Audya) do not leave all that much to be desired short of the real instruments they try to emulate.The audiences want to be entertained and basically want to have a " feast of recognition". Hence the success of the many songstyles used by (in particular) Yamaha Tyros players. Personally I find little merit in playing a song with a song styles that hardly differs from the orginally track. No one is going to stand in awe just because you master the four or five chords to play them. In this instance you might as well resort to Backing Tracks, as did Col recently. Of course if you do not sing you simply have to rely on keyboard or whichever instrument it is that you master. So imho the days of the keyboard entertainer as a "coverband " are getting numbered. On the other hand the arranger keyboard remains an incredible tool to do with it what its name suggests: ARRANGE.
That is not taking al kinds of prefab songstyles but use its potential to create, tweak, etc. within the confines of your own home/studio, either with existing songs or with material composed by yourselves.Who knows, you might be the next Irving Berlin, Cole Porter or Paul McCartney smile

regards,
John

#389564 - 06/08/14 06:12 AM Re: Smies without keys [Re: john smies]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
well said !!!

Ron

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#389566 - 06/08/14 07:28 AM Re: Smies without keys [Re: john smies]
Dnj Offline

Great Job John as always nice selections clap headphone

Just using styles on a KB can get pretty repetitive and quite frankly boring for the audience and the player after a while,.....so why not use your arranger kb and any other means to create music in different ways. After all we have so many tools in today's technical age to make music & I embrace it all. clap Singing & playing to custom made backing tracks with either cover songs or original work should be respected as is any other form of musical creation. The talent needed to put together and arrange these songs is just as intricate & many times as difficult as just playing and controlling an automatic style driven arranger keyboard, and added to that singing live and adding multiple harmony vocal tracks too.
An Open Mind goes a long way in the music business. cool2

#389567 - 06/08/14 09:45 AM Re: Smies without keys [Re: john smies]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Great work John I enjoyed it. It seems like a lot of studio work. Too much for me. I prefer doing tunes using different styles. I mean like doing I've Got You Under My Skin as a swing, then maybe another time use a big band style, and I really enjoy doing it with a bossa nova style. I guess it's the jazzer in me, but I couldn't sing the same tune many times with the same backing track other than a few DNJ sent me of Ray Charles which are exceptionable. I enjoy variety too much, that's why I'll never be an entertainer. But like I said you've spent a lot of time in your work and it shows! It sounds great!

#389568 - 06/08/14 09:53 AM Re: Smies without keys [Re: brickboo]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: brickboo
Great work John I enjoyed it. It seems like a lot of studio work. Too much for me. I prefer doing tunes using different styles. I mean like doing I've Got You Under My Skin as a swing, then maybe another time use a big band style, and I really enjoy doing it with a bossa nova style. I guess it's the jazzer in me, but I couldn't sing the same tune many times with the same backing track other than a few DNJ sent me of Ray Charles which are exceptionable. I enjoy variety too much, that's why I'll never be an entertainer. But like I said you've spent a lot of time in your work and it shows! It sounds great!

Boo you got mail... cool2

#389578 - 06/08/14 11:55 PM Re: Smies without keys [Re: Dnj]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Nice medley John Boy but you're showing your age man.

Col

#389580 - 06/09/14 03:46 AM Re: Smies without keys [Re: Saswick]
john smies Offline

Originally Posted By: Saswick
Nice medley John Boy but you're showing your age man.

Col

No need to tar me with your brush young man !!
I sure feel my age Col. frown Still there's nothing like the sixties to keep a musician enthralled. Two days ago we had the Stones here in Holland at the biggest annual popfestival. Too bad they only did post-1970 stuff, I prefer the stuff they released during their first five years. Personally I got stuck with Cliff Richard in 1964 and have continued to admire his career.Physically as fit if not better than Mick Jagger he has continued to release contemporary music and his concerts are to be seen to be believed. And all that at a mere 73 years of age !!!
Having said all that there is plenty good new music around these days for those with a willing ear.

regards,
John

#389581 - 06/09/14 04:01 AM Re: Smies without keys [Re: brickboo]
john smies Offline

Originally Posted By: brickboo

I could not agree more Brickboo, that's why I said I hope this will be a one-off for me. By way of entertaining it is great, crowds love this kind of stuff but it would bore the pants off me having to do this night after night during tours etc.
Given the opportunity I also prefer messing about with arrangements of songs and re-arranging them up in an entirely different manner. But it takes time and, when using arranger keyboards, a lot of programming and tweaking. To make my point I will upload my 2012 version of Van Morrison's renowned " Brown Eyed Girl ".
http://youtu.be/O3DyGFFQbBk

regards,
John

#389635 - 06/10/14 07:54 PM Re: Smies without keys [Re: john smies]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
John ... I do the same thing with many other songs ... Coincidentally, with Brown Eyed Girl I may play it first in a style that is similar to the original, but then say 'let's go down to the islands' and play it with a Caribbean style, steel drums and all ...

#389644 - 06/11/14 02:47 AM Re: Smies without keys [Re: tony mads usa]
john smies Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
John ... I do the same thing with many other songs ... Coincidentally, with Brown Eyed Girl I may play it first in a style that is similar to the original, but then say 'let's go down to the islands' and play it with a Caribbean style, steel drums and all ...

Seems to me that is the way to go Tony. Of course it is always a thrill to have your audiences up and dancing but likewise it can be most rewarding to confront them and yourself for that matter with the variety and challenges of your arranger keyboard. But the way you go about seems to me the perfect fusion of entertainment and arranging music !

regards,
John

P.S. care to post some of your stuff ?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online