SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#3895 - 10/22/03 02:11 PM Looking for Nigel Spencer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I'm trying to contact Nigel or Synthzone admin - emails not generating a response - probably due to massive amounts of spam no doubt!

#3896 - 10/22/03 03:03 PM Re: Looking for Nigel Spencer
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hey, I also tried to e-mail Nigel. Same thing - no response. He does, however respond to posts.

-ED-

#3897 - 10/23/03 02:20 AM Re: Looking for Nigel Spencer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, hopefully he will see this. Not surprised he doesn't see emails - notifications from this topic were also from the nigelsp address - he must get 100s of spams a day.

Anyhow Nigel, if you see this, perhaps you can mail me from another address.

Nick

#3898 - 10/23/03 02:22 AM Re: Looking for Nigel Spencer
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Sorry if you have both tried to email me but I have overlooked your email. It is certainly not intentional. I get around 400-800 spam emails each day and occasionally I can accidentally overlook REAL email. Please email me again with a subject that includes "Synthzone" and I will take notice and respond. And when all fails posting on the BBS works like 3351 says. I definately notice that.

#3899 - 10/23/03 10:40 AM Re: Looking for Nigel Spencer
3351 Offline

Hey Nigel!
400-800 Spam a day is sure a LOT.
Have you tried "Mailwasher" at Mailwasher.com ?
It will help to get rid of a lot of SPAM.

-ED-

#3900 - 10/23/03 04:16 PM Re: Looking for Nigel Spencer
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Ed,
I use mailwasher pro version.
It sure helps to delete fast and bounce them back even, but THEY KEEP COMING!!!!!!!!
I have no website or whatever but stiull get 60 a day...

I am awaiting till they have the new law thru parliament here then I will start sewing all these spammers with huge damage claims.

#3901 - 11/09/03 06:23 PM Re: Looking for Nigel Spencer
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
My site was taken offline last month cos I was getting 2 thousand spams per day (...well, between 1,800 and 1,900 to be a bit more precise).

I have heard reports that there are so-called "robots" that constantly scour the Net just looking for email addresses to spam.

This spam scene has been seriously ruining my life recently and after several weeks of pain and research my advice to you Nigel, is to go through the entire site and basically make sure that your email address is hidden from view. If people want to contact you, I would recommend that you have a contact us form put on the site- that way people will be able to get in touch without necessarily seeing your email address.

Now, I haven't even looked but I'm sure that the email address for synthzone is probably info@synthzone.com or nigel@synthzone.com or something like that. But the fact that any Tom Dick or Harry can make an educated guess about what your email address is not the point. The goal here should be to try and eliminate any possibility of those pesky robots sniffing out your address.

From what I hear, these things are programmed to search for strings which contain any characters that are consistant with email addresses (such as "@" and ".com"). I've already noticed one or two pretty big sites have started implimenting this tactic of hiding their email address or even writting it in a broken form eg, "info @ synthzone.com" (note the spaces).

Anyway, sorry for blabbering on but you've got my sympathies on this one and it's an issue that's close to my heart these days.

I wish the governments of the civilized world would do something about this terrible problem. I think it's seriously ruining the Internet.

*QUICK FACT- Over 50% of all spam emails are sent from Florida.*

#3902 - 11/17/03 02:42 AM Re: Looking for Nigel Spencer
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah you're not kidding. Spam and adware is way out of hand. If there could only be a globally unionized plan against it. It would get my 5 bucks anyway
MORPH!

#3903 - 11/17/03 11:33 AM Re: Looking for Nigel Spencer
3351 Offline

Well,I guess I'm lucky then... !
I only get like one or two spams a day and most of the time it's just a matter of "unsubscribing" (I don't bother with that though - no need to let those ****ers know that they're spamming a valid e-mail adress).

-ED-

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online