SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#389483 - 06/04/14 02:06 PM Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances?
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi ... I'd like to eventually record (maybe audio only, maybe video too) a bunch of performances on the Tyros5 (and maybe some on my Hauptwerk organ) to share. I put a separate note out there about sharing etc., but then I started wondering about the "legal" issues. I know there are a TON of 'cover tunes' played by people on YouTube - even from the manufacturers like Yamaha. Is it OK to play a cover tune, record it (audio and/or video), and post it to share with other arranger players?

If so, are there places people prefer to post such recordings (YouTube comes to mind, but maybe some other site is more popular for musicians to use to post/share their recordings etc.?)

I hope that this isn't a "hot potato" or "can of worms" topic, but I'm curious, as I see tons of 'covers' out there, but everything I find when I search for this topic, says it's illegal ...

Thanks,
Jim

#389484 - 06/04/14 02:31 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
rosetree
Unregistered

Unfortunately, it is copyright infringement unless the composer died over 90 years ago. However, another question is who is legally held responsible. Until a short while ago, at least in Germany the courts ruled that Youtube as the platform provider is responsible for the uploads and has to bear the consequences of copyright infringements. This is why the German copyright society GEMA has forced Youtube to ban certain videos (you often see a black screen with a declaration "blocked due to GEMA"). Youtube can block users whose videos lead to suits due to copyright infringement. But recently I read somewhere that theoretically a single user could also be held responsible by a court. So the legal situation with Youtube is not really clear.

#389485 - 06/04/14 03:42 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

#389486 - 06/04/14 04:10 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: ]
jimlaing Offline

Hi - so, if it is illegal, what is the best way to share audio and video of private performances, only for the purposes of sharing with other Synthzone (and other forum) users of arranger keyboards, for fun and learning, etc.?

Thanks,
Jim

#389487 - 06/04/14 04:40 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: jimlaing
Hi - so, if it is illegal, what is the best way to share audio and video of private performances, only for the purposes of sharing with other Synthzone (and other forum) users of arranger keyboards, for fun and learning, etc.?

Thanks,
Jim

https://www.box.net/personal/send-big-files-fast/

#389488 - 06/04/14 05:13 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
billyhank Offline

Jim,

We have folks postings cover songs and many others too on the PSRTUTORIAL.com Forum - has not been any problem in the last 12 years.

Most folks post their song to Box.net and then just post a link to it because the site has a size limit on what can be posted.

Bill G

#389490 - 06/04/14 06:06 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: billyhank]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
You can choose to upload it to youtube but choose unlisted. Then the only people that will see it will be those who get the link as in on the forum here or through email contact, etc.

That way it will be up indefinitely were Box I have gone to check out many files that were deleted.

#389501 - 06/05/14 06:18 AM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
jimlaing Offline

HI - thanks for the ideas/suggestions. I'll check out "Box". I have used DropBox, I suppose that is another way. I hadn't thought about (or, really known about), the YouTube "unlisted" - I guess that makes a video 'private', so it's not subject to the same legal restrictions? Makes sense ...

Thanks,
Jim

#389502 - 06/05/14 07:31 AM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
billyhank Offline

Jim,

The main problem with DropBox and Box.net is that you might later decide to delete your files on those drop places and then of course the link posted here would no longer work.

The U-Tube method sounds like a good option and I did not know that was possible till now - Thanks to Scott for that info. ;-)

#389503 - 06/05/14 07:41 AM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

OP can delete you tube files just as easily.

#389511 - 06/05/14 04:29 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Jim:

When shared in the context that Donnie suggested, it is intended for private use only... and it would take one mean-spirited lawyer or songwriter to begrudge your "compliment" to their work. Posting the lyrics might cause a problem but many do on the internet with seeming impunity.

Mind you, I'm not a legal expert.

Regards,

Dave Rice

#389512 - 06/05/14 04:39 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: Riceroni9]
jimlaing Offline

Hi - thanks all … I think I now have the info needed to know that I'll have a place to put a few videos once I (hopefully soon) get going on doing some recording. I may record on my Hauptwerk virtual organ first, since that will just be a stereo microphone in the room. Since it's an 8-channel audio system with speakers around the room, I need to record the organ's sound in the room to 'capture' its sound. I'll just connect that mic directly to my video camera's mic-in…

For recording the Tyros5, I'll need to figure out how to connect the outputs of the Tyros to my video camera (or record the audio separately from the video, into something like a Zoom H4n then merge audio to video in my video editing system perhaps??) I don't think my video camera has "Line In" jacks.

I've been wanting to try to make some recordings for a long time, just never "got a round to it" … it'll be fun to try some recording and then posting etc.

Thanks again,
Jim

#389515 - 06/05/14 06:49 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim, why not use the keyboard's onboard audio recorder, and sync it with the video. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#389519 - 06/05/14 11:12 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I play in a classic rock cover band that has posted some videos on Youtube.com I did get a notification about one of those cover songs and I challenged it saying it was merely a cover band performance and was not for profit. It was then allowed to remain. The worst that could happen is that advertising is added to the clip.

I would go ahead and post on Youtube and like I did challenge it if anything is said about it.

#389520 - 06/05/14 11:14 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
Nigel Offline
Admin

If you make an MP3 of your audio that is 6MB or less you can actually post it on the forum here using File Manager when you post. If you need more instruction on how to do that I will explain it to you.

#389522 - 06/06/14 01:43 AM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: Nigel]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Nigel
I play in a classic rock cover band that has posted some videos on Youtube.com I did get a notification about one of those cover songs and I challenged it saying it was merely a cover band performance and was not for profit. It was then allowed to remain. The worst that could happen is that advertising is added to the clip.

I would go ahead and post on Youtube and like I did challenge it if anything is said about it.

Strictly legally, your challenge to the notification wouldn't be valid (it doesn't depend on whether it is for profit or not), but in that case, even if you had confirmed the notification, the video would in most cases remain on Youtube and they could add advertising. It is more risky to challenge the notification without a valid reason, Youtube could ban you as a user. I confirmed/accepted a notification in the case of a 1960s cover, and the video remained with advertising. I often had to challenge really wrong notifications when the compositions were from Bach (composer died over 70 years ago).

#389527 - 06/06/14 06:16 AM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: travlin'easy]
jimlaing Offline

Hi - Gary, thanks! I totally forgot about the built-in audio recorder. That will make it much easier. Then I can just sync the WAV file with the video in Final Cut Pro. Once I get the "mechanical" stuff set up (keyboard in a decent location, camera, maybe a video light) then I should be able to "crank out" a few recordings. Just made up a PDF chart for and learned to play the "Rocky" theme (Gonna Fly Now), maybe that will be my first one to try this whole recording process!

Thanks,
Jim

#389534 - 06/06/14 09:01 AM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
rosetree
Unregistered

You probably don't want to buy a new device, but I record my Youtube live videos with a Zoom Q3HD and use its stereo-line in jack. Very practical and high sound quality.

#389544 - 06/06/14 04:24 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Originally Posted By: rosetree
Originally Posted By: Nigel

Strictly legally, your challenge to the notification wouldn't be valid (it doesn't depend on whether it is for profit or not), but in that case, even if you had confirmed the notification, the video would in most cases remain on Youtube and they could add advertising. It is more risky to challenge the notification without a valid reason, Youtube could ban you as a user. I confirmed/accepted a notification in the case of a 1960s cover, and the video remained with advertising. I often had to challenge really wrong notifications when the compositions were from Bach (composer died over 70 years ago).

Well in the case of my band playing the Journey song "Separate Ways" the copyright holder ( I presume ) lifted their notification and the video remained on Youtube ... without advertising. Venues that have live music do have to pay an annual fee to mechanical rights organizations to allow bands to play cover songs. So I guess in the case of a video of a band playing a cover song in a venue paying this fee legally the royalty fee was paid for that performance.

#389545 - 06/06/14 04:48 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Love the tip bucket - very optimistic. wink

Great job on the song, too.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#389614 - 06/10/14 10:07 AM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: travlin'easy]
jimlaing Offline

Speaking of this topic, I hadn't looked at the "My Videos" section on one of my YouTube account until the other day. I found that something I had posted years ago was "cited" as a copyright issue. It was a really BAD (but funny to the friends involved) rendition of a couple of friends trying to sing "The Rose" ... (they kept laughing - long story - and stopping and trying over and over to start). So, this really BAD "cover" (if you can even call it that!) of "the Rose" with me on really old keyboards, and two not-great singers - was "caught" as a copyright issue. They didn't take the video down, they just "noted" the Copyright "issue" on it.

Jim

#389628 - 06/10/14 06:01 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I was under the impression that as long as you do not profit from it, you could play any song ...

#389629 - 06/10/14 06:13 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Copy"rights" have nothing to do with profit. It's all about distribution and multiplication. That being said ... many times, it's tough to enforce, but if you see the little (c) on a piece - it doesn't belong to you, and you need permission to do anything other than perform it live.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online