SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#389483 - 06/04/14 02:06 PM Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances?
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi ... I'd like to eventually record (maybe audio only, maybe video too) a bunch of performances on the Tyros5 (and maybe some on my Hauptwerk organ) to share. I put a separate note out there about sharing etc., but then I started wondering about the "legal" issues. I know there are a TON of 'cover tunes' played by people on YouTube - even from the manufacturers like Yamaha. Is it OK to play a cover tune, record it (audio and/or video), and post it to share with other arranger players?

If so, are there places people prefer to post such recordings (YouTube comes to mind, but maybe some other site is more popular for musicians to use to post/share their recordings etc.?)

I hope that this isn't a "hot potato" or "can of worms" topic, but I'm curious, as I see tons of 'covers' out there, but everything I find when I search for this topic, says it's illegal ...

Thanks,
Jim

#389484 - 06/04/14 02:31 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
rosetree
Unregistered

Unfortunately, it is copyright infringement unless the composer died over 90 years ago. However, another question is who is legally held responsible. Until a short while ago, at least in Germany the courts ruled that Youtube as the platform provider is responsible for the uploads and has to bear the consequences of copyright infringements. This is why the German copyright society GEMA has forced Youtube to ban certain videos (you often see a black screen with a declaration "blocked due to GEMA"). Youtube can block users whose videos lead to suits due to copyright infringement. But recently I read somewhere that theoretically a single user could also be held responsible by a court. So the legal situation with Youtube is not really clear.

#389485 - 06/04/14 03:42 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

#389486 - 06/04/14 04:10 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: ]
jimlaing Offline

Hi - so, if it is illegal, what is the best way to share audio and video of private performances, only for the purposes of sharing with other Synthzone (and other forum) users of arranger keyboards, for fun and learning, etc.?

Thanks,
Jim

#389487 - 06/04/14 04:40 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: jimlaing
Hi - so, if it is illegal, what is the best way to share audio and video of private performances, only for the purposes of sharing with other Synthzone (and other forum) users of arranger keyboards, for fun and learning, etc.?

Thanks,
Jim

https://www.box.net/personal/send-big-files-fast/

#389488 - 06/04/14 05:13 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
billyhank Offline

Jim,

We have folks postings cover songs and many others too on the PSRTUTORIAL.com Forum - has not been any problem in the last 12 years.

Most folks post their song to Box.net and then just post a link to it because the site has a size limit on what can be posted.

Bill G

#389490 - 06/04/14 06:06 PM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: billyhank]
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
You can choose to upload it to youtube but choose unlisted. Then the only people that will see it will be those who get the link as in on the forum here or through email contact, etc.

That way it will be up indefinitely were Box I have gone to check out many files that were deleted.

#389501 - 06/05/14 06:18 AM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
jimlaing Offline

HI - thanks for the ideas/suggestions. I'll check out "Box". I have used DropBox, I suppose that is another way. I hadn't thought about (or, really known about), the YouTube "unlisted" - I guess that makes a video 'private', so it's not subject to the same legal restrictions? Makes sense ...

Thanks,
Jim

#389502 - 06/05/14 07:31 AM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
billyhank Offline

Jim,

The main problem with DropBox and Box.net is that you might later decide to delete your files on those drop places and then of course the link posted here would no longer work.

The U-Tube method sounds like a good option and I did not know that was possible till now - Thanks to Scott for that info. ;-)

#389503 - 06/05/14 07:41 AM Re: Is it OK (legal) to post cover song performances? [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

OP can delete you tube files just as easily.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online