SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#389367 - 05/30/14 04:53 AM 1 Finger chord players handle maj6, aug, 9th, etc?
Dnj Offline

I use Fingered mode, But, I have seen a few videos lately with arranger KB players using the 1 finger left hand chord method,....That said,...I was wondering how they handle if at all chords like maj6th, aug, 9ths, dim, etc, etc, with only 1 finger chords wen the song requires more? And doesn't this limit many songs only using these few chord options with
1 Finger vs Fingered,or Multifinger mode? wink Imo the 1 finger mode becomes a crutch to an extent making it more difficult later on to learn full fingered chords,....but it does give beginners a way to play in a simple limited format also.

Edited by Dnj (05/30/14 05:12 AM)

#389371 - 05/30/14 08:25 AM Re: 1 Finger chord players handle maj6, aug, 9th, etc? [Re: Dnj]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Donny, on the demo video in finger mode, it seems like he used 2 or 3 fingers more than he used 1 finger. I didn't notice any b9,#9 etc and never noticed any dim chords. None of these chords can be played with one finger, right?

#389374 - 05/30/14 09:02 AM Re: 1 Finger chord players handle maj6, aug, 9th, etc? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I use the multi-fingered mode cause I'm lazy. wink But when I need to use a dim, maj7, etc, I use the required number of fingers to get the job done.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (05/30/14 09:09 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#389375 - 05/30/14 09:30 AM Re: 1 Finger chord players handle maj6, aug, 9th, etc? [Re: brickboo]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: brickboo
Donny, on the demo video in finger mode, it seems like he used 2 or 3 fingers more than he used 1 finger. I didn't notice any b9,#9 etc and never noticed any dim chords. None of these chords can be played with one finger, right?

Boo correct...not in 1 finger mode...

Gary why be lazy when playing songs without more chords in fingered.....unless your doing all country coffee ...lol

#389378 - 05/30/14 10:05 AM Re: 1 Finger chord players handle maj6, aug, 9th, etc? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Are you trying to tell me there's another kind of music other than Country? wink Donny, I know how to play all the chords, but I have never been good with inversions, some kind of mental block there, and not sure why. Maybe one day, after I retire, I'll learn inversions. Gotta retire first, but Carol said I can't do that till three days after I'm dead. Maybe I have to rethink the retirement part.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#389379 - 05/30/14 10:05 AM Re: 1 Finger chord players handle maj6, aug, 9th, etc? [Re: Dnj]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
DNJ country's stepped up. "Friends In Low Places" has a dim chord, and I bet DonM can name quite a few more tunes with dim chords.

#389386 - 05/30/14 05:42 PM Re: 1 Finger chord players handle maj6, aug, 9th, etc? [Re: travlin'easy]
KORG80 Offline

One of my favourite chords is the MAJ7th. Haven't found a way to play major 7ths in one finger mode. These chords have that haunting quality. First heard them in "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying".

One of my favourite songs is flavoured with the MAJ7th chord. I just added it to my You Tube channel. It is Micheal Murphy's "Wildfire"

I must say that this site is the easiest on which to embed video. Thanks Nigel!

God Bless,
Don

#389387 - 05/30/14 07:34 PM Re: 1 Finger chord players handle maj6, aug, 9th, etc? [Re: KORG80]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Another nice job, Don ...
Another 'Pop/Rock ballad where the M7 plays an important role - at least to MY ears - is John Lennon's "Woman" ... playing/singing it in the key of 'C' with the band, I would add the D (9th) to the M7 chord on the 'bridge' ... made for beautiful harmony ...

#389389 - 05/30/14 07:38 PM Re: 1 Finger chord players handle maj6, aug, 9th, etc? [Re: tony mads usa]
KORG80 Offline

Don't forget Lennon's "Imagine"

God Bless,
Don

#389393 - 05/30/14 09:09 PM Re: 1 Finger chord players handle maj6, aug, 9th, etc? [Re: Dnj]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Donny first a clarification... in most cases "one finger" mode means that when you press one key in the chord recognition area the arranger recognizes a Major chord.

All brands allow the player to add 2, 3, 4, or even 5 keys to trigger more complex chords. Some chord types such as maj6 have to be played in the root position, to prevent confusion with minor 7th for example. Augmented and 9th chords can be played by pressing at least 3 keys.

I personally find major 7th chords easier to play in "one finger" mode. Korgs and Rolands only require you to play two notes (root and major 7th.) I believe Yammies require you to play 3 notes (the arranger plays a full pattern even if you omit the fifth.)

The only chords you can't summon right now in the "one finger" mode are unisons (1+8) or open fifths (1+5). And that's only because the programmed in chord recognition tables don't cover these types. Perhaps someday the manufacturers will add them. Meanwhile I would use Yamaha's "AI fingered" mode, or Korg's "Fingered 2" mode for authentic performance of a song containing these types of chords.

As I see it, the main limitations of single-finger mode are:
-If you WANT to play single note embellishments in the left hand voice, you can't do it in this mode.
-The Yamahas and Rolands I've tested have kind of a hair trigger. If you're sloppy and don't get all the keys down within a quarter of a second or so, you may briefly hear a false chord or the attack of a false bass note before the arranger recognizes and sounds the chord you intended. If you're making a recording, you can go back and delete these false notes out of the score. Korgs have a slight built-in delay that generally prevents this.
-The "short cuts" and rules for advanced chords aren't universal across brands. Roland, Korg, Ketron, Gem, Kawai and Lowrey are similar with subtle variations. Yamaha and Technics use different rules.

Hope this answers your question! -Ted

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online