SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#38943 - 05/22/06 01:56 PM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Hi Adam,

Old Grandpa here and still playing. I'm in Prospect Hts.. just north of old Chi. I know and meet with a few guys in the burbs and even with an excellent player on the south side. If you want to get together let me know and post your e-mail address and I will send you my phone number and we can talk and maybe get together. Just remember I was young once and if you get me you also get my Ruthie to boot. We are inseparable even if she can't play.

Grandpa Doug

P.S. Ruthie says HI to all you guys and gals.

#38944 - 05/23/06 03:51 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
Granpa,

This is what makes this forum something special......."Member Helping Member"

Fran in SC

#38945 - 05/23/06 06:47 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
Adam Glinka Offline

Loc: Des Plaines,Illinois USA
Hi Doug,
It is good to know that you are so close.
I live in Des Plaines.Probably you are familiar with "American Music World" in Niles.That's where I got my KN7 from.
I know that they sold quite a few Technics to the people in Chicagoland but it seems that not too many know this forum.
I would be happy to talk to you.
Here is my cell phone # 1-847-682-2400
Greetings
Adam

#38946 - 05/23/06 01:29 PM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
Douglas Dean Offline

Well now if this ain’t sumthin! I know, I know, I screwed up the spelling in the last word of the last sentence. I feel so good I hada do something. Just called Adam and guess what? We only live a few miles apart. In fact our telephone area code is even the same. Small small world.

I don’t know if you guys realize it but there are a lot of KN players out there. I know of over thirty five players just in about a twenty mile radius of where I live. Some of them I get together with on occasion, jam and share ideas. What amazes me is I thought I was the only one around here on this forum. Come to find out Adam has been with us for the last three years and only posted less than a dozen times. Wonder of wonders.

The point I would like to lay out on this table of electronics floating on the airways of the zone is there is one heck of a lot of KN’s out there with thousands and thousands of fingers plunking away at the black and whites.

Another thing I marvel at is how they came to own a KN. Most everyone I know has somewhat of the same story. They bought a cheapie like a Casio or a Yamaha in the beginning. The keys started to flop around, a speaker quit, the case cracked, or some such thing. Instead of going back to their local discount music and electronic store they wondered into their piano and organ establishment. In the process of looking for something a little more substantial than they had and something more like real piano keys made for an adult hand, they were amazed to see a real man-sized keyboard.

Just had to hear what it sounded like they told me. Real sounds! Real horns! Real reeds! Real strings! And wow, a real sounding band to back me up. Stumbling back a few steps after their eyeballs hit head on with the price tag they mumbled, and real green. The rest of the story we all know.

Quality, the test of time and the proof of great sound again struck me as I talked with Adam on the phone. Still got my KN1000 he said. I keep my 7000 at home so I won’t get it scratched on the job. I gig with my KN1000. It never let me down and still sounds great.

After talking about getting together, hanging up the phone and mulling over our conversation I just had to let you guys know. I got my KN1000 in my music room upstairs. After wiping and getting off the pot in the morning while waiting for Ruthie to call up the stairway, ‘breakfast is ready’, I hang the cover on the doorknob and play that old KN for the many thousands of times. Come evening old Ruthie says lets go to bed, I’ve had it. We thump upstairs. Ruthie does her evening ritual with the teeth, the hair, the soap and water, the scale, the nighty, the straightening of the towels and trinkets finishing with the pot and final paper wipe then announces - Your On!

Well old Grandpa shuts her down, slides the cover off the doorknob and puts the old KN to bed after about 45 minutes of fun on the keys waiting out Ruthie’s bedtime prep. Old Gramps takes his turn, wipes, washes up his hands and fingers from the rupture of the cheap rolls of paper Ruthie buys and that’s the end of the day.

And that folks is how the rest of the day went after talking with Adam.

Grandpa Doug

#38947 - 05/23/06 06:39 PM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
kn7 Offline

Well gee, Gramps - everything but the dogs nipping at your heels. An interesting post and I am sure all on the forum enjoyed it. So, do I understand that you only play on a KN1000? Personally, I think the styles in that keyboard are better than what is in the KN6000/KN7000. This in no way states that the KN1000 is a better keyboard. It was superb in its day. The great features that came later and especially, in the KN7000 are everything a professional musician could want.

kn7

#38948 - 05/23/06 07:14 PM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
lrngkybrd Offline

Loc: Queen Creek, Arizona
I haven't been on this post in over a year. I used to read all the posts regularly, but then my husband got very sick with cancer. He passed away April 2005 and the music stopped, too. I don't know if any of you remember me, but the music is coming back and I have to play again. I'm glad you are still posting on this web site. I have the KN6500. Glad to be back online.

#38949 - 05/24/06 04:04 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
IRNGKYBRD,

I remember you. Sorry to hear of your loss. Music is not a cure all but it does help.

Fran in SC

#38950 - 05/24/06 05:55 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
Douglas Dean Offline

Hi KN7,

No, I only play my 1000 when I go upstairs. I always use my KN7000 or my KN65000 on public venues. My 65 is over at one of my sons house to use when there. I have my 3000 at one of my grandson’s house so him and me can jam. He is an excellent piano player and we do a little wood-shedding at his place. My 7 stays downstairs in the house or in the car if I feel too lazy to bring it in after a gig. If I leave it in the car I got a PR900 to bang on in the living room. My first wife Ruthie puts up with all this because I think she really likes me. On the other hand it could be that she is so lonely for noise since all six of the kids left that she welcomes a little for old times sake.

Anyway guys, how did you come to gyrate into playing a keyboard and what led you in the direction of the KN’s?

Grandpa Doug

P.S. Irngkybrd, yes, I remember you. You gotta do what ya gotta do. In a few more years I will probably give my last croak on this earth and hope I won’t be playing ‘Light my Fire”.

#38951 - 05/24/06 07:01 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Grandpa Doug - I wonder if you wouldn't mind giving me an e-mail on RMepstead@btinternet.com
I've been trying help out a guy who has disks from his KN1000 which he can't now use in his KN7000 and just one set of these does not sem to respond to my software (EMC) attack and I'm wondering what's wrong with these rhythms...
Thanks in anticipation
Roger M (U.K.)

#38952 - 05/24/06 06:35 PM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Hey Doug,
Glad to hear from you and see that you are still around. Say Hi to Ruthie from Georgiana and me.
Walt

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online