SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#389077 - 05/16/14 07:07 PM How do you control t4 with another keyboard-- help
rb293 Offline

Loc: Binghamton, NY USA
I have a Yamaha MOXF8 and want to control my T4 with it using a midi connection. I can only get it to trigger the R1 voice. It won't sound any of the other voices in R2 and R3.. I haven't even tried to use the styles yet but would love to be able to control them also... Any help would be appreciated.. thanks Ron

#389079 - 05/16/14 08:10 PM Re: How do you control t4 with another keyboard-- help [Re: rb293]
billyhank Offline

Ron,

For starters, connect a MIDI cable from the MOX MIDI "OUT" to the T4 MIDI A "IN". You don't need to connect the second MIDI cable for this.

The MOX is probably okay if you set it to Voice Mode.

On the T4, go to [Function]->[MIDI]-> [All Parts] Receive Page and set Channel 1 to "Keyboard". Then Press "Exit" once only and Tab to User - below you will see the "SAVE" button light up and press it and save this setup to the User Area and name it MOX or something like that. If you don't save this setup, the T4 will revert right back to the old setting when you do just about anything else on the keyboard or for sure when you turn it off.

Now this setup will make your MOX the same as playing the keys on the T4 - the split point will be on the key you have set in the T4, you will still have to turn on the LED's for the R1, R2 or R3 just the same as if you were playing the T4 keys and also the same is said for using the styles.
You will also be able to select a voice on the MOX and blend it in with what your playing on the T4.

BIll G

#389085 - 05/17/14 01:25 PM Re: How do you control t4 with another keyboard-- help [Re: billyhank]
jwyvern Offline

If you simply connect your midi cable from the controller keyboard Midi Out to the Midi In B port of Ty4 you should find the Tyros then behaves just as it would if you were playing it's keyboard directly. The All Parts Midi Template (and a few of the other templates to my recollection) is setup to do this by default. I used Ty4 (and Ty3) in this way.

John

#389086 - 05/17/14 02:37 PM Re: How do you control t4 with another keyboard-- help [Re: billyhank]
rb293 Offline

Thanks Bill... I did as you say and it worked. It did have a problem with the styles but the voices worked fine. I also notice the volume controls don't work. The sliders only will go up a little bit. They start out at 100 but as soon as I move it they will only go up to about 30 or so and all of the sliders work at the same time and not individually. But I will make do with it for now... I will play with it and see if I can work it out. The styles did freeze up at one point and the only way I could stop them was to power off. The stop button wouldn't even stop the style. Thanks for the info and help.. Ron

#389100 - 05/18/14 04:36 AM Re: How do you control t4 with another keyboard-- help [Re: rb293]
jwyvern Offline

Ron, did you see my post?

I never had any problems with styles or sliders (using a Yamaha Stage piano channel 1 midied to the B port of Tyros).

John

Edited by jwyvern (05/18/14 04:40 AM)
Edit Reason: Extra info

#389104 - 05/18/14 11:26 AM Re: How do you control t4 with another keyboard-- help [Re: jwyvern]
rb293 Offline

John... I did try what you said and I found one of the midi templates did work... The styles still get lost once in a while but I can live with that... thanks for your help....Ron

#389107 - 05/18/14 02:56 PM Re: How do you control t4 with another keyboard-- help [Re: rb293]
rosetree
Unregistered

I use the MoXF together with a Roland BK-7m. This should be very similar to using it with a Tyros. You can also use the MoXF in performance mode, it also sends your keyboard activity on midi channel 1 even if you have allocated different parts to different key zones. That way you can use different MoXF sounds for upper / lower.
In the Tyros you might have to check the receive channel for styles, it has to be set to channel 1, too. (At least in my BK-7m there is a setting for style midi receive, and if the channel doesn't correspond, there is no chord recognition even though you can play sounds of the external instrument).
Using MoXF sliders for the Tyros parts is probably more complicated, you would have to program the MoXF sliders like sliders of a master keyboard. I haven't tried that with my BK-7m.

Edited by rosetree (05/18/14 02:58 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online