SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#388736 - 05/08/14 08:32 PM Rank These Arrangers... 1-2-3
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Hey, Synthzone!!! Let's have some fun! Rank these very comparable arrangers in your own 1-2-3 order.

Korg Pa900 - Roland BK9 - Yamaha PSR-S950

They all have their pros and cons. I have played 2 of the 3 and own one of them at this time. So, at this time, this is my ranking for my needs.

1 - Roland BK-9 (76 Key... Light weight... USB Audio WAV Player... Playlist)
2 - Korg Pa900 (Great touch screen... Great drum sounds... SongBook... TC Helicon)
3 - Yamaha PSR-S950 (Great on board speakers... Great sounds... Easy interface)

All of these arrangers are close to the same price. They all have close to the same features. They are not in the same class as the Korg PA3X or the Yamaha Tyros 3, 4, or 5. So, it all comes down to your needs within this budget.

Let the fun begin!!! keys
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#388740 - 05/09/14 03:19 AM Re: Rank These Arrangers... 1-2-3 [Re: shueymusic]
Dnj Offline

That's easy.... cool2

1 - Yamaha PSR-S950 (Great Styles,fills, Great on board speakers,. Great sounds,. Easy interface,.Support Third party styles)Mp3 Player, Lightning fast keybed.

2 - Korg Pa900 (Great touch screen... Great drum sounds... SongBook... TC Helicon)

3 - Roland BK-9 (76 Key... Light weight... USB Audio WAV Player... Playlist)

coffee

Edited by Dnj (05/09/14 03:25 AM)

#388741 - 05/09/14 03:29 AM Re: Rank These Arrangers... 1-2-3 [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

1.Korg PA900 - great sounds(same as pa3x) - usabillity - tweakabillity - real time controlls - top styles
2. Roland BK9 - super natural sounds - 76 keys - great styles
3. Yamaha PSR 950s - Some SA sounds - good ootb - most high quallity styles to choose from

But in the end, all three make great arrangers ...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#388744 - 05/09/14 05:43 AM Re: Rank These Arrangers... 1-2-3 [Re: shueymusic]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
So far we have three opinions and three different #1's. I think you would have to have some time with all three to make a good judgement and I don't know how many people can do that. They're not in stores and who is going to buy all three ?

I'm happy with the BK9 but know nothing of the other two.

#388745 - 05/09/14 05:47 AM Re: Rank These Arrangers... 1-2-3 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
So far we have three opinions and three different #1's. I think you would have to have some time with all three to make a good judgement and I don't know how many people can do that. They're not in stores and who is going to buy all three ?

And you have to ask yourself will any of these three make you a better player?.....only your own talent can make them shine. There's only a few AR Kb's left & that is dwindling fast too...case in point No S-Series MOTL model released as of yet & way over due if at all,....Companies are rethinking production & selling practices for the future.....the old farts, organ/arranger players are slowly going and the new generation needs to be fed more modern ways to make their music.

Edited by Dnj (05/09/14 06:04 AM)

#388747 - 05/09/14 05:55 AM Re: Rank These Arrangers... 1-2-3 [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis

And you have to ask yourself will any of these three make you a better player? wink

Good point!

Don't have either arranger, but have a Pa3x 61 and a T5-76, tough call......... love 'em both. When the wind blows out of the west I prefer the Pa3x, when out of the east it's the T5, both outstanding instrurments.

In keeping with the subject of this thread and knowing what I now about Yamaha and Korg.....................it's a tie S950 and PA900.

Never played a BK.

#388749 - 05/09/14 06:20 AM Re: Rank These Arrangers... 1-2-3 [Re: Stephenm52]
billyhank Offline

I've owned the PSR-S950 and the Pa900 and they are both great keyboards, but it really boils down to what do you want to do with the keyboard?

They both sound very good and both have some good styles.
I particularly like the touch screen on the 900 and will not ever have a keyboard without it now, but more than that, I like being able to do everything promised but never really delivered on the Tyros keyboards with the 900. I'm a tweaker and you can do that to your hearts content on the 900.

I liked the S950 for playing and the styles too. I think it is the best PSR Yamaha has produced. Mine worked perfectly from day one. I know many folks think the documentation is awful, but I think the Yamaha documentation is the best on the market.

Years ago, Roland was first on my list, but I moved to an area where none of these keyboards are available to try out before purchase and I managed to try out a Yamaha while on an extended trip - so I stuck with the Yamaha for the last 12 years until the 900 came out and I was able to read the documentation for it - I knew it was what I was looking for in a keyboard for me.

Bill G

#388751 - 05/09/14 06:57 AM Re: Rank These Arrangers... 1-2-3 [Re: shueymusic]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hard call... I like the touch screen and VH on the Korg, chord sequencer and Latin styles on the Roland, and RH voices and OS of the Yamaha.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#388755 - 05/09/14 07:55 AM Re: Rank These Arrangers... 1-2-3 [Re: shueymusic]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I recently had a week or so to get into the PA900, and got to know it..

Although I owned the BK5, but never tried a BK9 yet...but since I liked what the BK5 did..a lot, I am sure the BK9 will be on my want list.

I had some time on the PSR, but honestly, I can.t get pass that "lightning fast keybed" smile

So here is my rankings and why.

1: Korg PA900..Touchscreen, keyfeel,VH(although I think it needs updating), packed with features, but poor OS..

2: Roland BK9, site unseen, because the BK5 would have this slot in this list, and most likely the BK9 will easily jump to the top of my list, if all is confirmed when I play one.

3: Yamaha PSR s950, some good sounds, does not sound as realistic to me, even the Korg sounds "synthy".

My current ranking, with noted remarks ..

Edited by Fran Carango (05/09/14 07:57 AM)

#388759 - 05/09/14 09:54 AM Re: Rank These Arrangers... 1-2-3 [Re: shueymusic]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have owned all three and spent extensive time with each. They all have their good points for certain.
I sold the Yamaha and the Roland, so the Korg is the best fit for me at this time.
It all depends on what you need. No wrong choices.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online