I have the 6500 and tried out the 7000 in the store. I am disappointed that the 7000 does not have the sound controller ball. I like to use it to tweek the sound of the voice I am using at the time. But its not a big deal. Yes the 7000 does sound better. I have been playing my 6500 in my bedroom and it is full of furniture, and other stuff. Also it is carpeted. After bringing my 6500 to a friends house in another town, with my girl friend, we came back to her house and I brought in in there for the night. In the morning I set it up on her coffee table in the living room. High ceiling, hardwood floor and more open space made a huge difference with the sound! Huge! To anyone who plays it only at home, where u have it makes such a difference. Acoustics enhance the piano sounds the most it seems. I found them to be much nicer. So now I will be cleaning out my work out room which I do not use anymore, uggggh. And will put my 6500 in there with only my guitar, br8, stereo, and one chair for all my fans"my girlfriend" haha. I am much happier with the sound since I discovered the huge difference with acoustics being good. This new room is fully carpeted though but being more empty will help out a lot I am sure.
Tony