SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#38783 - 07/03/02 01:29 PM The effects of music on ones life.
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
The effects of music and Johns latest disk!

Thanks to everyone for the very kind words both here on the forum and in the e-mails I've received

However.........I've got one complaint

Grandpa Doug never let us know if Ruthie got 'fired up' enough out there on the porch.
Perhaps I shouldn't have played 'Every Breath you Take'

In response to John North’s last posting on his thread, “10 more songs”, I would like to start a new thread. The effects of music on ones life. Although I have started this off on a rather light side, music has played it’s part for thousands of years. From the jails to the bible. It can be found wherever you go. Rich to poor, slave to free, young to old and played on everything imaginable under the sun. Although music has not been my source of income for the most part, music has played a very important roll in my self esteem and enjoying life. Some of the words have had an impact in forming my character and attitude towards life. My Ruthie and me have been comforted by its strains, made happy by its melodies, moody by its blues and above all brought very close together by its memories. We are all together here today, sort of like a family having a common bond. The result of music and the making thereof. So without further adieu let’s share how we started on this road of music and what it has done for us. What do you get out of it. How long have you been on the music trail and why. Has the journey been good or bad and how come? Enough of who’s keyboard is the best, who’s has the most features and how crappie the other guy's board sounds. A pair of spoons on a cardboard box can sound good if played with the right spirit and for the right purpose. When I was a kid and I played my little accordion with my little talent and my dad would latch on to a pair of spoons and beat on an old cardboard box, we and the family would have fun. Practicing was not a chore and we had good times together and still do when we get together, even if old dad’s got new spoons and a new home. We carry on here to this day with our kids and friends, having fun. You don’t have to play super good music to share your joy and experiences with others. After all, this forum is all about music, you and the pursuit and joy of it. I’m looking forward to your experiences after you read my response to John’s complaint.

To all who must know,

The other evening, swinging on the swing with Ruthie in the moon light and holding hands the atmosphere became very quiet. Just soft melodic tones wafting towards us through the soft rays of the moon. The silhouette on the wall of the swing moving back and forth was the only movement to be seen on that serene evening. As one song melted into the other, I perceived an almost unperceived humming emerging from my Ruthie. The humming very quietly took the form of soft breathy words. Every breath you take, she cooed in the quiet pause while Johns next song was loading up. I turned just so slightly to gaze into her sparkling blue eyes dancing in the moonlight. I had no idea you noticed every breath I take I responded, how nice. No silly, the music, you know, the name of the song. Oh?, I said, somewhat deflated. Then she added, I made a good choice many years ago and to this very moment I’m proud of myself. With a breath of satisfaction and a hope of more to come later I remarked, getting somewhere now, sort of under my breath. What did you say, she quipped? Just thinking out loud to myself, I responded.

Inching a slight bit closer she rested her head covered with her silvery hair sparkling in the moonlight on my shoulder and ventured a remark to the effect of something like, perfect summer evening. After John’s, disk ran out Ruthie started to hum and then mouth some of the words of a song she must have been reminded of. “Come on baby, light my fire _ try to set the night on fire”. Oh yes! I remember the song, I mused. Light My Fire by the DOORS. Wow! What irony! Maybe a door is opening!

Without a warning, Ruthie sat straight up on the porch swing and declared - Getting late, let’s go to bed! At a loss for words I mumbled it might be a bit warm out here at that, and followed her in. While thinking the stairs didn’t seem so hard to climb tonight I also found myself humming and mouthing the words -

Never know how much I love you, never know how much I care. When you put your arms around me, I get a Fever that’s so hard to bear. You give me Fever when you kiss me, Fever when you hold me tight. Fever in the morning. Fever all through the night.

If you think I’m going to tell you the ‘Rest Of The Story”, your crazy! However I might record the song if I can find the music and that’s as far as I will go. I hope it’s not in umpteen sharps. I can handle four or five flats but not a whole lot of them sharps. It would be nice if my stomach would be a little more on the flat side also. Another dream, but what would life be if we had nothing to dream or wish for.

Well John and all other music lovers that's all for now. Keep the music flowing, the love of your boards alive, your age young and never forget why your on this earth in the first place. What? You don’t know? Give you something to explore when you get bored!!

Grandpa Doug

#38784 - 07/04/02 04:27 PM Re: The effects of music on ones life.
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Grandpa Doug!

You have missed your vocation - you should have been a comedy writer ha! ha! I couldn't help laughing out loud when I read your posting and was Shssssd! by my 'grandpa' husband trying to get some sleep (well it is well past midnight...) I'll tell him all about it in the morning bless him, I know he'll appreciate the joke -just so long as he doesn't get any ideas!!!
A proverb springs to mind "the heart is willing but the flesh is weak" but music never fails us does it? My playing very often reflects my mood. Slow and mournful if I'm a bit depressed or tired, tap footing if I am in a good mood - romantic? Well! that would be telling.

Goodnight, keep your little 'gems' coming I'm sure I am not the only one who enjoys reading them.

Aud

#38785 - 07/07/02 06:13 PM Re: The effects of music on ones life.
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Hey Aud,

How does it feel being married to a Grandpa and did he get any ideas after you read my post to him in the morning. In case you don't know it, I'm married to a grandma. I didn't notice any differance when Ruthie went from ma to grandma. The only thing I found is I had to become a little more creative. You know Aud, your not a bad writer yourself. Did you ever consider writing a column on this forum to give advice to all the ma's turning grandmas? I would be willing to have a question and answer thing here also to complement your helpful hints column for grandmas. Maybe we could get someone on the forum to consider addressing the transition period from just plain ma or pa to the realm of grandhood and the part keyboards play in this transition period. This could develop into a sales promotion idea we could sell to the keyboard manufactures and make a tidy little sum of money for ourselves. Any volunteers for this job?

Grandpa Doug

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online